Different Stag

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
boykinlp

Different Stag

Post by boykinlp »

I am a new collector of Case knives and at times find it is easy to get overwhelmed. I have narrowed my focus to collecting stag knives. The problem is there are a ton of different types of stag. I really like the look of Prime XX Stag the best. It is obvious what Sambar Stag and Red Stag are, but what kind is Bone Stag, Vintage Stag, Midnight Stag, and for that matter Prime XX Stag? Thanks, in advance, for any help offered!

BTW, I love pictures, so please show pictures of any examples that you are proud of!!!

I also forgot to ask where I might find about a half dozen sheets of the case tissue paper that the knives come wrapped in? Thanks.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Different Stag

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Bone Stag is bone that has been jigged in order to try and make it look like stag. The others on your list have me as bumfoozled as you. ::cb::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

jerryd6818 wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Bone Stag is bone that has been jigged in order to try and make it look like stag. The others on your list have me as bumfoozled as you. ::cb::
So, Bone Stag is not actually stag either! ::shrug::
Larry

Each one, teach one.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

Do what you enjoy at the end of the day! But I will throw out a few statements/opinions :)

-Tested stag is often thin and beautiful
- anything described as fat stag bothers me haha, I don’t believe a knife should roll over if you lay it flat on either side.
-vintage red stag is very rare and expensive often
-I love stag
-I’m rambling
Attachments
71456662-AF66-4B9E-A575-8ADAC7FF06AA.jpeg
2CF002D5-BBB0-427A-B069-D1A4B5BEA3A7.jpeg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some definitions of the stag can be found here ---> http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/hand ... erials.php
From that site, see below:

5 - Stag
Naturally shed or dropped deer antlers are used for the Stag handles in Case knives. The most desirable Stag comes from the Sambar or Chital deer in India. Stag covers are burned lightly during the completion process.

5 - XX Prime Stag
Genuine India Stag with an extra rough texture - the best of the best.

M5 - Midnight Stag
Genuine Stag except it is treated with a black dye and the covers do not get burned during completion.

R5 - Red Stag
Genuine Stag except it is treated with a red dye and the covers do not get burned during completion.

V5 - Vintage Stag
Genuine Stag that is not dyed or burned during the manufacturing process, but is given extra buffing and hand finishing.

Some knife wrapping tissue here ---> http://casexx.com/Details/?ProductCode=50127&Patid=219
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Oh, and pics? ---> viewtopic.php?f=66&t=52114 :)
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

boykinlp wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

So, Bone Stag is not actually stag either! ::shrug::
Correct. It comes usually from the shin bone of cattle. A popular source is cattle in Argentina because it's claimed to be harder. Stag of course comes from the antlers of various species of deer (per Steve's post).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Steve Warden wrote:Some knife wrapping tissue here ---> http://casexx.com/Details/?ProductCode=50127&Patid=219
Thanks for the link on the tissue Steve, that's a really good price. Might have to get me some. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Here's some of mine...

________
Mike
Attachments
IMG_0582.JPG
1971 Case 9-Dot (Mine).jpg
1976 Case Stag Stockman (Mine).jpg
5332 X4 (Mine).jpg
Straight XX 5392 (Mine).jpg
5392.jpg
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

My pleasure, Mike. You're welcome.

You've got some beauties there, to boot!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jerryd6818 wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Bone Stag is bone that has been jigged in order to try and make it look like stag. The others on your list have me as bumfoozled as you. ::cb::
I am not familiar with CASE's usage of the term, but with the pre-1947 Schrades, and perhaps for a very few years afterward, the term meant jigged bone, and it was not jigged to resemble stag. Sometimes it was used as a (participle?): "stagged bone" (apparently as a synonym for 'jigged bone').
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Some times I see bone stag that looks more like stag than real stag! :D

On the tissue paper: I occasionally see ebay listings for Case tissue paper. I'm guessing it is reproduction, or maybe an employee (or an employee of Case's paper vendor) "found" an extra box of wrappers in their lunch box one day.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Steve Warden wrote:M5 - Midnight StagGenuine Stag except it is treated with a black dye and the covers do not get burned during completion.
I have one Case knife in Midnight Stag. There's a sticker on the front of the box that says: "Shepherd Hills Exclusive". I think MS might be a collaboration between Case & Shep Hills. I've also noticed on the Shep Hills website under "Handle Materials" that they have several "exclusives" listed there too. I think maybe they can do that because they're a high volume dealer. Maybe Case gives them special rights? ::shrug::

boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

You folks are awesome! Thanks for the quick replies.

XxTestedXx,
I love stag too. I like it flat and I like it fat. :D in fact, the more gnarly the better as far as fat stag goes. When I said in the first post that I knew what Red Stag was, I guess I don't. I thought Red Stag was from the New Zealand Red Stag. Now I know different. Keep pictures coming if you want. ::tu::
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

boykinlp wrote:You folks are awesome! Thanks for the quick replies.

XxTestedXx,
I love stag too. I like it flat and I like it fat. :D in fact, the more gnarly the better as far as fat stag goes. When I said in the first post that I knew what Red Stag was, I guess I don't. I thought Red Stag was from the New Zealand Red Stag. Now I know different. Keep pictures coming if you want. ::tu::
Here's a whole thread full of stag, mostly Case, for your enjoyment! viewtopic.php?f=66&t=52114

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

The Bone Stag that Case has produced has the numeric prefix of 6.5 on the model number. It is cattle bone from the Zebu Cattle from south America (That's what Case uses for their bone handle knives) that has been dyed and jigged to mimic the visual appearance of Sambar Stag (the real deal) Although not really stag, I find these knives to be a worthy collectible in their own right.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

philco wrote:The Bone Stag that Case has produced has the numeric prefix of 6.5 on the model number. It is cattle bone from the Zebu Cattle from south America (That's what Case uses for their bone handle knives) that has been dyed and jigged to mimic the visual appearance of Sambar Stag (the real deal) Although not really stag, I find these knives to be a worthy collectible in their own right.
Agree! Really good looking stuff. Some of it is so good it will make you do a double-take to see that it's not real stag. ::tu:: (Not my knife - picture from Shepherd Hills Cutlery.)

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I know what you all mean when you say you love stag. The last 14 knives I purchased
were stag specific.

I often think if I had to start my collection over, I would only do Case Stag- but I still love
my others!

Below is my newest stag I purchased about 4 weeks ago.

Bonestag is also great. It gives you another face to love. See below.

Bob
Attachments
case.5318.jpg
case.6.51028.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Some times I see bone stag that looks more like stag than real stag! :D

On the tissue paper: I occasionally see ebay listings for Case tissue paper. I'm guessing it is reproduction, or maybe an employee (or an employee of Case's paper vendor) "found" an extra box of wrappers in their lunch box one day.
Case sells those tissue knife wrappers with the Case logo in bulk packages, so they are widely available and Case dealers often put packages of 100 wrappers on Ebay.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Thanks, Steve Warden! Just the information I needed!
Larry

Each one, teach one.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

rea1eye,
I just started collecting Case knives and did just what you said. I am going to collect stag. I guess I am expanding my focus a little because I am including bone stag too. I just love how each knife is different.......no two alike. With the many different types of stag (the reason I started this thread) I will have many choices. Tho only drawback is that stag seems to be one of the most expensive handle types. Thanks folks for all the replies and, of course, I love all the pictures too.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

boykinlp wrote:Thanks, Steve Warden! Just the information I needed!
Glad to help and glad you found it useful!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”