Copperlock Switchblade

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
gypsy jim

Copperlock Switchblade

Post by gypsy jim »

Years ago I was a supervisor on a sewer pipe rehabilitation crew that traveled the East. We were in Cincinnati and I attended a knife show. This was maybe the mid to late 90's. I don't remember how open it was for the sales of switchblades in Ohio. Usually at shows you had to ask about switches like cherry bombs at a fireworks stand. Anyhow, I picked up this converted copperlock in green bone. This is one of my favorite knives. She is double action as it pulls as a regular knife or if you push the "C" in the elevated shield it flips open like a piece of jewelry. Very thin and light. Not sure who did the conversion. Was there a guy who was famous for these conversions? It was extremely well executed.
Attachments
DSCN4903.JPG
DSCN4907.JPG
DSCN4910.JPG
DSCN4905.JPG
sam eib

Re: Copperlock Switchblade

Post by sam eib »

Never saw one like it before. It could be one of a kind.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

That is very cool. I've seen plenty of Buck 110 knives that were converted into 110 Autos, and a few modern tactical folders that were converted, but this is the first Case conversion I have seen.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

We have a guy here on AAPK that does Copperlock conversions. He goes by Tbark44. He has a website at tbarkcustoms I believe.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

gsmith7158 wrote:We have a guy here on AAPK that does Copperlock conversions. He goes by Tbark44. He has a website at tbarkcustoms I believe.
He does but I couldn't get in touch with him on it . Does anyone know how to contact him . His web site has great looking Knives ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kennedy knives wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:We have a guy here on AAPK that does Copperlock conversions. He goes by Tbark44. He has a website at tbarkcustoms I believe.
He does but I couldn't get in touch with him on it . Does anyone know how to contact him . His web site has great looking Knives ::tu::
He has a new email address he just sent me a few days ago.
tbarknives@nxlink.com
He did some work for me on an old Case 5171l Switchblade. He is very good.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thanks for the info ::ds:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Speaking of T Bar K...and Case Copperlock conversions...I just happen to have a pair of stag Copperlocks that he modified. Beautiful work, indeed.
P2250035.JPG
P2250036.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

QTCut5 wrote:Speaking of T Bar K...and Case Copperlock conversions...I just happen to have a pair of stag Copperlocks that he modified. Beautiful work, indeed.

P2250035.JPGP2250036.JPG

~Q~
Those are beauts!!
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

QTCut5 wrote:Speaking of T Bar K...and Case Copperlock conversions...I just happen to have a pair of stag Copperlocks that he modified.
While your conversions are very beautiful, I have a question. Why was it necessary to place a pin right smack in the middle of the Case Shields?

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

XX Case XX wrote:While your conversions are very beautiful, I have a question. Why was it necessary to place a pin right smack in the middle of the Case Shields?
I do not know the answer to your question...I guess that's something T Bar K, aka Tank, would have to answer. I did have to laugh, though, because ever since the very first time I held each of these knives in my hand, I have wondered the very same thing. The pin in the shield placement seems a bit amateurish compared to the overall quality of every other aspect of the mod job. But, after hours of obsessive scrutiny, I have come to accept it in much the same way that a Zen Master accepts the rose for it's beauty and sweet aroma despite the thorn on the stem that pricks his finger. OOOOOhhhhmmmm! :|

~Q~
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

XX Case XX wrote:Why was it necessary to place a pin right smack in the middle of the Case Shields?
Mike, you realize that these are automatics, right? The shield functions as the release button. Not being a knife mechanic myself, I don't know how other knife mechanics (like muskrat man) are able to attach the shield/button without using a visible pin...would be interested to know how it's done though. It looks so much better without a visible pin in the shield.

Here's the pile side of the double-blade Copperlock...same deal with the pin in the shield.
P2250030.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

QTCut5 wrote:Mike, you realize that these are automatics, right?
No, I was not aware of that. I saw the nail nicks and figured they opened the same as originally intended. Being that the shield is the open button I can kind of understand it better though. Thanks for clarifying.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Yep...these are both D-A (Double Action) so the blades can be opened either automatically by pressing the button shields or manually using the nail pulls.

~Q~
~Q~

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”