Error found in Collecting Case Knives book, 2nd edition

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
williamcrane

Error found in Collecting Case Knives book, 2nd edition

Post by williamcrane »

Has anyone else noticed an error in this books explanation of the dots and x's on 2010-Present tang stamps? Seems like it should read "from 2011 a dot is removed..." I'm sure it's just a printing/typesetting error. I have both editions and find them extremely informative and useful. Hope this is corrected before any further printings.
Attachments
2018-02-20_11-15-30_618.jpeg
Bill Crane
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Error found in Collecting Case Knives book, 2nd edition

Post by knifeaholic »

williamcrane wrote:Has anyone else noticed an error in this books explanation of the dots and x's on 2010-Present tang stamps? Seems like it should read "from 2011 a dot is removed..." I'm sure it's just a printing/typesetting error. I have both editions and find them extremely informative and useful. Hope this is corrected before any further printings.
I never noticed that. I got those charts in PDF form from Case, so it was not the fault of the publisher. I did get Case to correct a different error on one of the older stamps.

Try looking on the Case website to see how they present it there.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Actually, I just reread the text from Case. I believe that what they show is correct - first the X's were removed, then the dots. For example, a 2017 stamp has no X's and three dots.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
big monk

Post by big monk »

that is the way to tell the difference in the 10 year production spans ( both 10 year productions started with 5 dots & 5 x's ) -- 2000-2010 the dots were stamped first & removed ''''first'''' --- then in 2010-2020 the x's were stamped first & removed first --- will get interesting in 2021 ??? ::hmm::
Attachments
2000 case.jpg
2010 case.jpg
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
williamcrane

Post by williamcrane »

Confusing indeed. Here's how Case College (from their website) illustrates the stamps for 2010-2019. In addition, I have included pictures of my Tony bose Tribal lock., showing 3 Xs for 2017. Call me a puzzled 70 yr old from Philadelphia. :?
Attachments
tank stamps 2010-2019.png
2018-02-21_15-20-00_565.jpeg
2018-02-21_15-19-42_396.jpeg
Bill Crane
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Other than nitpicking, it seems pretty easy to me. If there's 7 dots and X's total, it's 2013. If there's 3 dots and X's total, it's 2017. How they remove them is inconsequential to determining the date. But, I'm just an old country boy. ::doh::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”