Case repairs

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Skizzer

Case repairs

Post by Skizzer »

Howdy,
New to the forum and am looking for advice on getting 3 of my dad's old pocket knives repaired. Following are descriptions to the best of my ability from a Case catalog. I've used Case knives for 60 yrs, but am no real collector, and certainly no expert, so patience my be required on my ID's and terminology:
- #75 Large Stockman (bone, 3 blade, 1960's) that's missing the Case shield;
- #75 Large Stockman (bone, 3 blade, late 50's/early 60's) that needs a hinge pin (the one 2 blades hinge on) replaced (re-riveted?);
- #94 Large Canoe (bone,3 blade, 1950's or earlier) with a broken main (spey?) blade.
I'd like to get these knives repaired to functional status and have not located anyone who does this type of work. Can anyone recommend a craftsman? The missing shield is probably something I could do myself if someone could recommend a parts source.

Any help appreciated - thx.
XX Case XX

Re: Case repairs

Post by XX Case XX »

Start with Muskrat Man. He does outstanding work. If he can't help you, post another request and we'll give a list of guys who could possibly help you with these repairs. http://muskratmanknives.com/

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Repairing them partially depends on availability of parts. The pivot pins are pretty much generic so not likely an issue. But shields and blades are different today than they were when the knives were made. Shields in the 60s were pinned to the liner. Today they're glued to the handle. Today's blade stamps are different.

If you just want the knives made functional with no concern as to period authenticity, it's probably an easy fix. You can probably get them repaired by Case for a reasonable charge. See http://www.wrcase.com/support/warranty/. If Case repairs them it will be with parts from current production.

If you want them restored with original parts you'll need donor knives from which to get parts, in which case you'll need to provide them or find someone who has them or can get them. There are some talented and capable knife mechanics that are members here. see the Knife Repair and Restoration subforums viewforum.php?f=37

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Please post a picture of the 94. That would make it a gunboat not a canoe and likely a very rare knife.

Does it look like this one?

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29083&hilit=Gunboat

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

XX Case XX wrote:Start with Muskrat Man. He does outstanding work. If he can't help you, post another request and we'll give a list of guys who could possibly help you with these repairs. http://muskratmanknives.com/

Skz
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Skizzer wrote:
XX Case XX wrote:Start with Muskrat Man. He does outstanding work. If he can't help you, post another request and we'll give a list of guys who could possibly help you with these repairs. http://muskratmanknives.com/

Skz
Hello Skz. Did you look at my reply?

Think you possibly holding onto a very rare knife. May not want to repair it.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

zp4ja wrote:
Skizzer wrote:

Skz
Hello Skz. Did you look at my reply?

Think you possibly holding onto a very rare knife. May not want to repair it.
Yes, I did and was trying to answer your original, but got lost in a "posting blizzard", sorta! Standby and I'll try to get a photo to you. It looks to me like the Gunboat pic you sent, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure. Am working on the photo now. Thanks much!

Skz
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

zp4ja wrote:Please post a picture of the 94. That would make it a gunboat not a canoe and likely a very rare knife.

Does it look like this one?

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29083&hilit=Gunboat

Jerry
Jerry,
Hope this works! My first attempt on this forum... Can provide more photos (assuming I can load 'em in here!). Thx for the interest.

Skz
Attachments
CANOE-GUNB 2.JPG
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

It's definitely a 5394X Gunboat. I would appreciate seeing the other side. The stag looks good on the side shown. It's a shame about the snapped blade. The secondaries look pretty full.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Yup. A very rare old gunboat.

That is a 5000 book price knife if mint. Likely 3 or 4 grand if you had right buyer.

That said, knife is certainly not mint and has a broken blade. Drastically reducing worth.

Finding EXACT replacement blade will be needle in haystack. It is a spear blade that is broken. Finding a replacement blade that will work likely doable.

If it was my Dads carry knife, I would get a new blade installed and carry it.
Jerry
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

RalphAlsip wrote:It's definitely a 5394X Gunboat. I would appreciate seeing the other side. The stag looks good on the side shown. It's a shame about the snapped blade. The secondaries look pretty full.
OK, that's great to hear. I'm gona be tied-up for another hr or so, but will try to get the other side to you tonite. Thx.
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

RalphAlsip wrote:It's definitely a 5394X Gunboat. I would appreciate seeing the other side. The stag looks good on the side shown. It's a shame about the snapped blade. The secondaries look pretty full.
Here's the other side.

Skz
Attachments
CANOE-GUNBOAT.JPG
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

zp4ja wrote:Yup. A very rare old gunboat.

That is a 5000 book price knife if mint. Likely 3 or 4 grand if you had right buyer.

That said, knife is certainly not mint and has a broken blade. Drastically reducing worth.

Finding EXACT replacement blade will be needle in haystack. It is a spear blade that is broken. Finding a replacement blade that will work likely doable.

Jerry
Jerry,
That's crazy! Had no idea! Thot it was an unusual model and worth something if intact, but nothing like that. I did post another photo, of the opposite side, at Ralph's request, as you've probably already noted. It's more worn, but whole. I would never part w/this family heirloom, it will go to my son or grandson, but any very rough estimate of value in it's present condition?

Spear blade, OK. Will think about it, but will probably go for a workable blade, unless an original mystically appears.

Dad really liked that knife, missed it and talked about replacing the blade, but never really pursued it. Too busy, I spose. One reason he liked it was that the large ends were much easier on pants pockets than a regular knife. I will probably try to get it repaired and carry it. I rotate thru a number of carry knives to keep things interesting, so it certainly wouldn't receive much wear. You've been very helpful w/your info and ideas and I really appreciate it. Thx again, made my day!

Skz
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Skizzer wrote:

Jerry
Jerry,
That's crazy! Had no idea! Thot it was an unusual model and worth something if intact, but nothing like that. I did post another photo, of the opposite side, at Ralph's request, as you've probably already noted. It's more worn, but whole. I would never part w/this family heirloom, it will go to my son or grandson, but any very rough estimate of value in it's present condition?

Spear blade, OK. Will think about it, but will probably go for a workable blade, unless an original mystically appears.

Dad really liked that knife, missed it and talked about replacing the blade, but never really pursued it. Too busy, I spose. One reason he liked it was that the large ends were much easier on pants pockets than a regular knife. I will probably try to get it repaired and carry it. I rotate thru a number of carry knives to keep things interesting, so it certainly wouldn't receive much wear. You've been very helpful w/your info and ideas and I really appreciate it. Thx again, made my day!

Skz
Likely 2 or 3 hundred bucks I guess. For a part knife to fix another broken one or to a non picky collector.

Good man for keeping an heirloom. So many pass thru here that only see dollar signs and not the value of enjoying and passsing down what our antecedents treasured. Especially something from a man you respected like Dad.

Jerry
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Skizzer, you have some options for finding a replacement blade.

1. You could contact Case and see if they could provide you with just a spear blade compatible with your Tested XX 5394X frame. If Case is agreeable, you should strive to get a CV blade instead of a stainless blade.

2. You can buy a modern 94 gunboat pattern and remove the blade. Again CV would be better, but will be a challenge to find. A modern 6-5394 bone stag gunboat typically sells on eBay between $80 - $120 (in my experience). A Case select wood handle 7394 typically sells for 70 - 100. A Case Classic Gunboat 5394 / 6394 typically sells for 150 - 250. For reference, see pictures below.

The blade marks on either of the above options won't match. Of course, you could watch for a used up old 5394X that had a reasonable main blade. This will be a long, and likely expensive, option with a low chance of success.

For good measure, I also included a picture of a complete Case Tested XX 5394X.

Good luck in your search.
Attachments
Case 6.5394 Bone Stag 2006
Case 6.5394 Bone Stag 2006
Case Classic 6394 Gunboat 1991
Case Classic 6394 Gunboat 1991
Case Select 7394 ~2008
Case Select 7394 ~2008
Case Tested XX 5394X
Case Tested XX 5394X
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

zp4ja wrote:
Skizzer wrote:

Jerry
Jerry,

Skz
Likely 2 or 3 hundred bucks I guess. For a part knife to fix another broken one or to a non picky collector.

Good man for keeping an heirloom. So many pass thru here that only see dollar signs and not the value of enjoying and passsing down what our antecedents treasured. Especially something from a man you respected like Dad.

Jerry
Thx for the info. You've been a big help. Appreciate the kind words.

Skz

PS Sent you a PM, also.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Your welcome. No PM in my inbox.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

If I were you I'd call Case and ask them what they can do for your knife. They might have a way to help you out.
Here's a few from the Classic line.
5394 Classic.jpg
Classic Gunboat 015.jpg
Classic Gunboats 005_.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

wazu013 wrote:If I were you I'd call Case and ask them what they can do for your knife. They might have a way to help you out.

That's a good idea, but from personal experience Case is going to want to see the knife in hand. They'll request it be shipped to them (get insurance and a tracking number) so one of their cutlers can examine it in person. With a knife like that, after they look at it they will contact you to advise what they can (or cannot) do and what it will cost. If they can't fix it or you decide you don't want them to do the work, they'll ship it back to you.

I've been pleased with work they've done for me and IMHO their fees are very reasonable. (I don't expected them to repair an old or abused knife for free.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

zp4ja wrote:Your welcome. No PM in my inbox.
Wow, this forum stuff is apparently just too rigorous for me! OK, I tried again. This time for sure!!

Skz
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

wazu013 wrote:If I were you I'd call Case and ask them what they can do for your knife. They might have a way to help you out.
Here's a few from the Classic line.
5394 Classic.jpgClassic Gunboat 015.jpgClassic Gunboats 005_.jpg
Ya know, that's a completely reasonable suggestion, but I already sent the gunboat, plus 2 vinatage large stockmen, to them a year or so ago. Case had indicated the approach you describe, but they didn't contact me before they returned the knives to me. They wouldn't touch them and basically said they didn't deal w/this old stuff. Maybe I just got ahold of the wrong person, but received no help.

Anyway, thanks for providing all these neat pictures; appreciate the effort. Helps me get more of an idea of what I dealing with.

Thx.

Skz
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

Mumbleypeg wrote:

That's a good idea, but from personal experience Case is going to want to see the knife in hand. They'll request it be shipped to them (get insurance and a tracking number) so one of their cutlers can examine it in person. With a knife like that, after they look at it they will contact you to advise what they can (or cannot) do and what it will cost. If they can't fix it or you decide you don't want them to do the work, they'll ship it back to you.

I've been pleased with work they've done for me and IMHO their fees are very reasonable. (I don't expected them to repair an old or abused knife for free.)

Ken
Ken,
See my reply to wazu013. I did what you describe, but didn't have the same experience. They returned my knives, including the gunboat w/o talking to me. Had a note in the box, or on the work order/receipt, indicating they couldn't help me. Assumed they didn't deal w/this vintage stuff, but from your description, maybe I just didn't get to the right person. Didn't charge me anything, altho I was ready to pay, but didn't help, either... maybe they suggested I try to find a pvt repairman, can't remember. Anyway, that was when I started searching the net and found this forum.

Thx for your help!

Skz
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the info. Sorry they weren't able to help you. My main point was, if you call them they're going to want to see the knife to determine what is needed, whether they have the necessary parts, or if no new parts are even needed. Difficult to assess that without seeing the knife.

So much has changed in materials and tooling over the years that even parts for the same pattern may not be the same. Case has significantly reduced the number of different patterns they produce and that also affects the availability of parts. I've had them return some of mine too. They've been able to repair others.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

BhamStan

Post by BhamStan »

I’m hoping you can give me some advice. I have a 1976 trapper that has a broken spring. It has sat in a drawer since 1977. It is case xx stainless USA. My question is this something case will repair or replace? Which option is better? Or should I try to have it repaired by other sources? The blade has been sharpened. Otherwise great shape. Thanks for your reply
Attachments
0AA48D06-4FD4-43E1-B653-911D33ACA953.jpeg
1CB2D9C5-0E3A-4915-A393-380ADB4E9E75.jpeg
Skizzer

Post by Skizzer »

Hey Guyz,

Just wanted to share a happy ending to these 3 repairs that you helped me with, especially the replacement blade on the Big Gunboat. The Large Stockmen had a hinge pin replacement and a shield replacement on the other. Thanks for putting me onto Muskrat Man, he did a fantastic job and I couldn't be more pleased! Would highly recommend him! Thanks again to you all, much appreciated! Attached a couple of shots of Muskrat Man's results (his photos, also nicely done).

Skiz
Attachments
006.jpg
007.JPG
009.JPG

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”