Case Knife Question

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
just bob

Case Knife Question

Post by just bob »

This knife is listed on ebay right now and caught my eye because of the bail. Funny but I stopped at the 127 yard sale in a small Ohio city and bought a 6254 trapper with a bail in it just like the one in the ebay knife. I bought it from a woman that said she had it in her collection for years and just needed to get rid of some knives. She said she bought the knife in PA years ago and had always thought the knife came direct from the Case factory and that one of the employees had put the bail on the knife during his lunch break. My knife is not marked 6254R. I don't know what the markings are on the ebay knife. If this had came from the production line wouldn't the knife be marked 6249R. I have always thought the bail location was weird. If you were going to put a bail on a knife why wouldn't you run it though the back bolster like on a 6445R ? Then why would someone put a bail on a knife and never use it? The ebay knife and the knife I have don't look to have ever been used. Think this is the work of master craftsman or just a person with too much time on their hands? Did Case actually issue knives with the bail in this location? I'll post pictures of my knife this evening - time permitting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-6249-BONE ... SwmRFaXRxo
Attachments
bail.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Knife Question

Post by QTCut5 »

I've collected the Case Copperhead pattern #49 in the past (still own about a dozen or so) and have never seen one with a bail--until now. I don't know if Case ever released this particular variation with a bail as a factory production model, but if so, it must be extremely rare. The placement of the bail--in the scale instead of the head bolster--does indeed seem rather unusual.

~Q~
~Q~
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

QTCut5 wrote: The placement of the bail--in the scale instead of the head bolster--does indeed seem rather unusual.
Agreed. I've never seen one as well and that one looks really weird.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

It seems I recall reading in the annals of this forum
that Case would put a bail on any factory pattern on SFO.

So it could be legit. I'm sure the gurus will be along soon to affirm or deny this.. ... ...
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

royal0014 wrote:It seems I recall reading in the annals of this forum

At least in the past this was correct, and it was so stated in Case catalogs. Whether still true today or not I do not know. Maybe knifeaholic or someone else knows.

Although through-the-bolster is the more typically seen bail placement some patterns do have through-the-scale placement. The later is usually on bareheaded patterns but in Sargents 7th, page 272 is a full page color photo of an old Case retail display having 51 Case Tested patterns on the board. 28 of them have bails, including several appearing to have bails mounted through the scales even though they have bolsters on both ends. It would be interesting to know what drives the determination of bail placement. ::shrug::

The text accompanying the photo says the display and knives were a SFO for a San Diego hardware store that catered to the boating and fishing industries.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

Here's my 6254 knife. It has dots - I can't be sure on how many but maybe 6 - 8? At least this proves there are 2 of them in existence.
Attachments
bb 1.JPG
bb 2.JPG
bb 3.JPG

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

The bail itself seems factory quality.. Original or not

Very cool. I'm still after a xx era knife with a bail on an uncommon pattern like a 47
espn77

Post by espn77 »

This is a tested knife with an unusual bail stamp on the inside. Still have found no information on it.
Attachments
20171229_160307.jpg
20171229_160450.jpg
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

So did some one here snag that copperhead?

For the right price that would be a nice one to add to the pile.
steve99f
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

espn77 wrote:This is a tested knife with an unusual bail stamp on the inside. Still have found no information on it.
My friend. I love that knife. Think you need to sell me that one and I am not in buying mode as you know.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I bought the posted 6249.

Yes, Case would put a bail on any pattern on special order. I have had a particular fascination with these "bail" knives. This is the second or third USA stamped 6249 that I have seen with a bail, and the others were identically placed. I have no idea why Case used the bolster pinning method on some bails and pinned through the handle on others. The key is to look for a pinned bail with spun pins. Some knife users did put in their own crude home made bails, so look out for that.

Some time I'll have to put together a list of the special order Case patterns that I have seen with bails. Off the top of my head - 11031 SH, 6217, 2137, 62009 1/2, Muskrat, 6265 SAB, C61050 SAB.

No special order "bail" knife will have the "R" in the pattern number - since Case did these in very limited quantities, and since they were special order anyway, they did not stamp out special blades.

Bob, interesting trapper...I have seen Tested era trappers with bails, but that is the first modern example.

I believe that Case stopped offering this as an option in the late 70's.

In the Tested era catalogs, the price for a bail added was ten cents per knife.

In this 1966 price list, the price was 50 cents per knife, minimum of six knives.
Attachments
Case Price List Sales Aids 1966-page-001.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

royal0014 wrote:It seems I recall reading in the annals of this forum

So it could be legit. I'm sure the gurus will be along soon to affirm or deny this.. ... ...
As you predicted...the Case guru in residence hath spoken. And it seems your recollection has been confirmed.

Steve, congratulations on a fine pick-up. It's always good to know a rare knife will go to a home where it will be fully appreciated.

~Q~
~Q~
just bob

Post by just bob »

One thing I'd like to know and you can answer this Steve after you get the 6249. Does the pin go all the way through the blade containment channel and come out the other side? The reason I ask this is because when I bought the 6254 the pin went all the way through and you could see on the spey blade there were a few small "flea bites" where the blade was hitting the pin when it snapped shut. That's one reason I didn't think the knife came from the factory. It seems that just couldn't be right that it would be made that way. I showed my knife to Kaleb and he was able to use the stiddy and bob the pin where it is now peened to each side and doesn't go all the way though the blade containment channel. I wonder now if that was the right thing to do? That is also the reason I though the correct placement of the bail was in the lower bolster so that striking the pin when closing the blade isn't an issue. I'd appreciate your comments after you see the 6249. Thanks

just bob

Post by just bob »

I wouldn't doubt this is a factory bail, based on the placement and the other Case knives that have been posted with bails.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1965-6 ... Swe5xboEVM
Attachments
bail.jpg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”