Old collector, new collection

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Bearjew

Old collector, new collection

Post by Bearjew »

Hi, my name is Bearjew and I have a problem. I am an addict...
Really though. I have just decided to take the leap into collecting again. I think I would like to get into buying newer case knives, past 15 to 20 years maybe, that will be desirable some day down the road. That being said what would you all suggest that I look for in newer knife styles, colors, etc. In newer case knives where are the best places to look for hard to get knives?
I just picked up my very first member of the new collection with the Wharncliffe Whittler in Moss Brown for a pretty good price.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180105-075059.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Old collector, new collection

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

My advice is what others on here have advised me: to simply buy what you like - buy what "calls" to you. Some folks like to have goals to fill a "series", while others simply try to collect as many as they can find. I think it's all good. Case has both knives that are very "common" and have been a staple in the line for decades with only slight variations, and they have other knives that are instant collectibles because they are "1 of 250" and stamped with a specific number. There are a plethora of handle materials, finishes and colors. Some appear and disappear quickly, only to come back again years later.

I learned a long time ago that you can't predict which items will have collector value to the next generation. Rarity is often a good indicator, but even that doesn't work all the time, and manufactured rarity (purposefully producing a limited number) often doesn't provide the results you would expect. Sometimes I think buying the most unpopular, ugly or weird item in the line would work as well as anything. Of course, then you will have a collection of unpopular, ugly & weird knives...

:D
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Start with the knives that 'speak' to you. If these are recent Case knives then this is where you start. Then see where this takes you. It might continue with Case knives only or diverge off to another make/age or pattern. Our collecting 'paths' are rarely straight. Most of us have made many twists & turns along with some 'dead ends', but the variety adds interest.
A good thing about recently made Case knives is that there is not a huge demand for them so good deals can be found. GEC by contrast is wildly popular at present so there is competition for every knife. This makes collecting more expensive.
Just start and see what you are drawn to over time.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Bearjew, welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. I think Terry (TwoFlowersLuggage) gave some pretty good advice. I'm on the bandwagon for "buy what you like" and you'll always be happy with it. As a eclectic accumulator I'd like to add, you may not want to restrict yourself to one brand or one pattern or one handle material, etc. Variety is the spice of life.

Edit: Don't force yourself to be a collector. It will be much more enjoyable if you're doing it because you truly like it. If I may add my opinion, that Seahorse Whittler is a pretty doggone good starter knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”