Idea for a new Case discussion forum ...

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Lansky1

Idea for a new Case discussion forum ...

Post by Lansky1 »

I didn't want to post this in 2 places, but I thought it would get more visibility if I posted a reference to the thread I posted in the Suggestions, Questions forum ... please feel free to post your comments there, as I think I'm on to something. Thanks & here's the AAPK thread I referenced ...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=54972&p=614792#p614792
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
XX Case XX

Re: Idea for a new Case discussion forum ...

Post by XX Case XX »

I like the idea. The problem though, is what's considered "vintage"?

For me personally, I don't collect any Case knife manufactured past 1979. It's "Original Dot Era" or prior (USA-XX-Tested) and so forth, that I'm interested in. Others however, might feel completely different so someone "Bryan" would have to make the call. It's a great idea though. ::nod::

Interesting to see how this pans out... ::pace::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I would go for that. Any dividing line could be negotiated to make MOST people happy. All but a couple of my small number of Case are post 1990 and it would be interesting to see others in that era have their own forum.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I like the idea as all but a very few of my knives are post 1980.
Perception is Reality
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

No against it, not my call. I just don't understand segregating the same brand by eras or years made.

Inevitably, people will still post newer CASE in old forum and old CASE in new forum.

Older and newer CASE knives can easily be delineated but post title. "CASE knives newer than 1990", etc. I have Classics but rarely go to that forum. I also have a couple hundred knives or less from 1980' to 2000'. Like Mike, my passion is 1979' and prior. I respect that your passion is for newer CASE knives though. I don't study newer CASE knives but I have answered many questions in current forum on newer CASE knives.

I sincerely hope it pans out for you guys if that is what you want. Keep in mind, it is possible (not by spite or boycott of course) that a lot of knowledgeable CASE people may not visit that forum for whatever reason to answer questions like they do in the current forum since old and new are together in one location and they can see them without visiting two separate forums for the same brand. The "Vintage Collectors" still look at the newer knives and answer questions and post comments whenever possible. Visibility to CASE brand knives all in same location regardless of age, year or era. I am not suggesting that the idea is not created and if you find value in it, I hope it is.

I personally only visit like 5 forums total here. My posts, Active Posts, CASE Forum, Knife Commerce and Off Topic discussion. Others may do it different.

Again, not against it. Just conveying a possible unexpected drawback.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Jerry,

Good point. I agree in that there may be some loss of knowledge base if certain members don't frequent one or the other Case forums ... however, bear in mind that Case is rather unique in that their "vintage" knives bring almost unprecedented top dollar, but they are still in business producing "modern" knives for retail sale. Most highly collectible USA knife manufacturers of old are long gone & Case is about the only major "collectible" manufacturer that was around many years ago that still remains. It just seems there are 2 fairly distinct Case camps with little overlap ... the vintage guys and the modern guys.

John
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

XX Case XX wrote:I like the idea. The problem though, is what's considered "vintage"?

For me personally, I don't collect any Case knife manufactured past 1979. It's "Original Dot Era" or prior (USA-XX-Tested) and so forth, that I'm interested in. Others however, might feel completely different so someone "Bryan" would have to make the call. It's a great idea though. ::nod::

I'll be the first to admit, I'm a noob when it comes to vintage Case knives ... but from what I've observed, the "collectibility" factor increases as you go pre-1970 (and dramatically increases as you go farther back into the tested era).

So for the Case guys in the know ... does 1970 seem like a reasonable date to make the separation between vintage & modern, or is there a more suitable date / era which reflects a change in the companies business practices or manufacturing methods ? I don't think we need an exact date, as that will always be open to interpretation ... which is why 1970 sounds about right to me. ::hmm:: for that matter, I don't know if we need a date at all ... most knife guys already have a feel for what they feel represents modern era vs. vintage era without exactly defining it.

John
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Lansky1 wrote:
XX Case XX wrote:I like the idea. The problem though, is what's considered "vintage"?

I'll be the first to admit, I'm a noob when it comes to vintage Case knives ... but from what I've observed, the "collectibility" factor increases as you go pre-1970 (and dramatically increases as you go farther back into the tested era).

So for the Case guys in the know ... does 1970 seem like a reasonable date to make the separation between vintage & modern, or is there a more suitable date / era which reflects a change in the companies business practices or manufacturing methods ? I don't think we need an exact date, as that will always be open to interpretation ... which is why 1970 sounds about right to me. ::hmm:: for that matter, I don't know if we need a date at all ... most knife guys already have a feel for what they feel represents modern era vs. vintage era without exactly defining it.
PM sent.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”