Why do some copperlocks have blade off center

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
sedona

Why do some copperlocks have blade off center

Post by sedona »

I have been collecting copperlocks for several years.I have noticed on the newer knives when the blade is closed it is pretty far off to the right or off to the left.After looking at my older copperlocks most of the blades are pretty much in the center.Is this just a lack of quality control on the newer knives? I appreciate all opinions.
XX Case XX

Re: Why do some copperlocks have blade off center

Post by XX Case XX »

This isn't restricted to just Copperlocks. Many Case knives over the years are like that.

Here's what you need to understand: Anytime you have an item that is mass produced, you're going to have differences in the final product. There will be some that are near perfect, and some that are not. As long as it is between the "plus/minus" limit, it's deemed acceptable. If it's over or under, it will most likely be rejected.

I have several original Dot-Era Case that are like that and some that are not. It also depends on the person who made it on that day. Maybe on that day he felt good and therefore did a good job. On another day, he was worried about his dog and therefore was not concentrating on his work so it barely passed final inspection. The blade wasn't perfectly straight but it was good enough to pass and in perfect working order.

This is not just related to knives, this relates to anything that is mass produced like your TV, your shoes, a computer, anything. Here's a few photos of my Case knives where the blade is just a bit off center. Click on the photos to enlarge and get a good look.

6-DotX6 (Mine).jpg
73 6347 VariationX5 (Mine).jpg
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I recently read that it is not unusual for a blade to be deliberately bent to prevent blade contact, or blade rub.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

That's known as "krinking", a rewarding, or dangerous, bit of cutlering
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you for the input SMH. The term is new to me.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:That's known as "krinking", a rewarding, or dangerous, bit of cutlering
Yes, krinking is applicable on a multi blade knife where blades are are on both ends and multiple blades as I stated to make them “fall and fit” properly in the right place. A common example is a double end jack with one back spring.

In my experience though, this does not apply to single bladed knives.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree with both Mike's and Jerry's explanations. Except to add that, in the case of single blade knives I bet some "krinking" was done to make blades fall in the center of the blade well. Once was the time when the worker's "pride of workmanship" was paramount. That has changed to a plus/minus tolerance acceptability standard. It's changed from "what will I as the worker accept" to "what will the boss accept" mentality. In the end its also largely "what will the customer accept" . JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mumbleypeg wrote: It's changed from "what will I as the worker accept" to "what will the boss accept" mentality. In the end its also largely "what will the customer accept" . JMO
I wholeheartedly agree. ::disgust:: That's what it's come to...

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I spent 2hrs on the phone this past spring with the head of QC at CASE.. I was voicing my many displeasures with their quality and blade centering was one of the topics.. He stated to me that CASES stand on this is as long as the blade does not touch the liners it is GTG.. And if ya get one centered consider that a bonus.. I was floored and told him so.. But that was that.. Sooo... ::td:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

John, Although your exchange with the QC man was unsatisfactory the fact that he spent a couple of hours with you is rather remarkable I think.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote:John, Although your exchange with the QC man was unsatisfactory the fact that he spent a couple of hours with you is rather remarkable I think.
I do too.. And during our conversation, I dropped my phone and we were disconnected and he called me back!! Honest injun!!! I could not believe it!! :lol: :lol: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
sedona

Post by sedona »

XX case XX I understand everyone has bad days but I have several protech switchblades and on each knife that I have the blade is centered almost perfectly.There is also more work that goes into a swithchblade than say a copperlock.In fact, I have looked at or handled at least 300 protech knives and have never handled one where the blade wasn't centered.I do understand if there is 2 or 3 blades there might have to be some krinkling to get all the blades to close but with just one blade it should be pretty much in the center or it doesn't get sold.
sedona

Post by sedona »

Also I wanted to add that I have several single blade buck and old timer knives that cost less than my copperlocks and the majority of their blades are centered while also being mass produced.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Centering seems to be a newer criteria in how people judge a knifes quality.
IMHO centering says nothing about quality, function, durability or anything else. It's more of an observance of the modern collector that favors high dollar knives than it is any real indicator of how well a knife is built.

I have several perfectly centered Ganzo flippers, and autos. I also have one Benchmade auto, and two Protech autos.
Notice that I did not say that the later two brands are perfectly centered?
They are not.
Does this mean my Ganzo knives are better built, better quality, more durable? If it does then I want a refund from Benchmade, and Protech!
I am 58 years old, and I never once in my life heard anything about a centered blade unless someone bent it, and then you would stick it in a car door, and "krink" it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just sayin'... to me it is a non issue made up by hyper critical people. No disrespect meant but centering is EASILY fixed or un-fixed. ::dang::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
sedona

Post by sedona »

If centering a blade is so easily fixed then it should be that way when I buy it new.Part of quality items are attention to detail on the small things like putting the blade in the center.After using 2 case knives for a while the blade did start rubbing and they were both sent back to case.It may be hyper sensitive to you but to me it is getting it right when it is built so I don't have to send it back later.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

sedona wrote:If centering a blade is so easily fixed then it should be that way when I buy it new.Part of quality items are attention to detail on the small things like putting the blade in the center.After using 2 case knives for a while the blade did start rubbing and they were both sent back to case.It may be hyper sensitive to you but to me it is getting it right when it is built so I don't have to send it back later.
Agree fully with you. Being an all CASE only collector with hundreds of examples from 1900’ to 2000’...

Besides some exceptions, nothing like the old school CASE quality from 1980’ and prior.

Some collectors think that oiling and opening and closing the blade 500 times to correct a weak snap is ok. I do not.

CASE collector to the core but despise the lack of attention to detail and “cutlers pride” on most post 1980’ examples.

And hey Americanedge, just because a lack of quality (in my opinion) does not bother you, does not mean the next guy that it does bother is hyper sensitive.

Anyone ok with a new car purchase with front quarter panel paint color not matching the rest of the car. Say whole car is white and one quarter panel blue or hot pink. Sure, drivability is not likely affected but it is not attention to detail, pride in ones work and craftsmanship.

In my opinion, comparing a tactical to a traditional folder in this case is ridiculous.

My 2 cents.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I didn't mean any offense by that, and I understand your point on fit, and finish on a car. A car is supposed to be straight, and it has been a factor of quality since they began building cars.
This thing with knife centering = quality is new as far as I can see. 10-15 years maybe?

If a blade rubbed it was fixed so that it was as near center as possible but perfectly centered blades were never an indicator of quality that I know of.
I looked thru about 40 knives after posting that, and 80% of them are off by a fraction of a mm to a mm in either direction. Only a few are perfectly centered, and the majority of the few are new tactical knives.
So what I'm saying is that 2-3 old folders out of 40 or so (that I own, and examined) are perfectly centered.

I just don't see a problem with a few thousandth's off in either direction. I actually prefer that to opening a blade, and seeing that "krink" in it that the cutler used to center it or feeling blade play because the bolster/liner shifted.

just my opinion... not a judgment, because there are much more important things for me to worry about. ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”