5488 blade reversal?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Treejakal

5488 blade reversal?

Post by Treejakal »

I have two 5488's the top is 1965 and bottom is 1970. The 1965 has the sheep's foot on the right front and the 1970 has the spear blade on the right front.

Has one been played with or is it common to have examples of each? Is one rarer than the other? please help me understand what is going on.
Attachments
Front
Front
Back
Back
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 5488 blade reversal?

Post by btrwtr »

Two very nice looking knives. I don't see anything wrong and believe you will find the blades reversed like your's direct from the factory.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

thank you very much for your response btrwtr. I am glad to hear that and was surprised to find that it is common.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Is that common? Or is it first day on the assembly line for the new guy?

I can state that I have never come across a knife that has the main blade on the left. ::shrug::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

americanedgetech wrote:Is that common? Or is it first day on the assembly line for the new guy?

I can state that I have never come across a knife that has the main blade on the left. ::shrug::
Which one is the Main Blade?
americanedgetech

IMHO... The blade that is on the right side with the shield facing you. Even on a muskrat or equal end knife I always consider the right side to be the main blade.

In the case of a sheeps foot, and a spear or clip or whatever... I consider the traditional spear or clip as the main blade so with it being on the left end, it simply "looks" wrong.
Ken Mc.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

When I toured the Case factory several years ago I observed assembly operators having on his or her workstation a pattern-specific assembly jig. Also a number of tubs, each containing a different part (handle slabs, frames, liners, master blades, secondary blades, pins, and so on). Put the parts tubs in order on the workstation and repetitively stack the components one by one into the jig until all parts are in place.

On some patterns (the 2-blade Barlow jack for example) it is not uncommon to find the same pattern, from the same date era, to have master blade and secondary blade positions reversed. Many patterns are asymmetrical, making it more obvious to the operator there's really only one correct way it can be assembled. In some patterns the assembly jig itself might preclude incorrect assembly.

However with a symmetrical multi-blade pattern it seems it would be easier for an assembly operator to get one tub out of place on your workstation, or get briefly distracted, and the knife is assembled "backwards". The symmetry would also make it less obvious to downstream workstations (and the end customer) that the blade configuration was reversed.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
sawgrass

Post by sawgrass »

I have found the Sheepsfoot or the Spear blade on either side of the knife. It is my understanding that both are correct. I have never counted to know which is the more common, but either way, it is ok. Also, I don't want to be controversial here, but I think that both the Sheepsfoot and the Spear are Master blades. The 88 pattern then would have 2 master blades. If anyone disagrees, I, for one, would love to hear the differences of opinion. Thanks for letting me post for the first time.
americanedgetech

I certainly understand everything you all posted. Take for example an "Elecreitions" knife. The sheeps foot is obviously the main.

It is simply a matter of conditioning that the top image here looks backwards, and if I had bought, and received one in that configuration... I would return it for a "correct" knife. Just me I guess.

I know what it is... They switch the boxes on the new guy, and see how many he assembles backwards. :lol:
That practice has probably been going on for decades. ::tu::
Attachments
20171101_184424.jpg
20171101_184424.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Ken Mc.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

sawgrass wrote:I have found the Sheepsfoot or the Spear blade on either side of the knife. It is my understanding that both are correct. I have never counted to know which is the more common, but either way, it is ok. Also, I don't want to be controversial here, but I think that both the Sheepsfoot and the Spear are Master blades. The 88 pattern then would have 2 master blades. If anyone disagrees, I, for one, would love to hear the differences of opinion. Thanks for letting me post for the first time.
I agree with you that the 88 pattern has two master blades. Patterns like the 88, Muskrat, and Moose could also be thought of as have two master blades (there's probably some others I haven't thought of). I guess if they have pulls on opposite sides, they're also ambidextrous. ::shrug:: Hadn't thought of it previously but which blade is the master could depend on whether the owner is right or left-handed.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”