Canadian Navy Knife and Broken Springs

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
cody6268

Canadian Navy Knife and Broken Springs

Post by cody6268 »

I've noticed that the Case/Metal Stampings Ltd. Canadian Navy Knives seem to have a much higher occurence of cracked and broken backsprings than other knives I'v seen. I'd say at least half of what I have seen have one or both backsprings broken. The one I have has a broken blade backspring, the one I'm buying that will be the one I repair using the one I have has a broken can opener spring.

Does anyone have any idea as to why so many have broken springs? Bad temper, abuse (which is my guess), or something else?
americanedgetech

Re: Canadian Navy Knife and Broken Springs

Post by americanedgetech »

Where do you find them breaking?
At the pivot hole or just random places...

Mechanically there are only a couple reasons this could happen.

1. Overly hard. 2. Not enough "meat" left around the pivot pin, Or a combo of one, and two. There are fixes for both reasons I stated but I would wait for the experienced guys that might already have a way of dealing w/ this.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”