Question on a 6220 case peanut

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Delmar Morgan

Question on a 6220 case peanut

Post by Delmar Morgan »

I got a 6220 '40 - '64 red bone peanut the other day , did they put a sheep foot blade on some of them for the main blade. Thanks
RalphAlsip

Re: Question on a 6220 case peanut

Post by RalphAlsip »

All I can remember seeing is a clip master with a pen secondary. I believe some of the really early peanuts (pre-1920) might have used a spear master.

I shouldn't comment on patterns that I don't collect because I'm often wrong. I'm also a slow learner :) If someone comes along and contradicts me, they're probably right and I'm wrong.

A picture (if you have one) would be helpful to evaluate.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

I don't collect the pattern anymore.. But I don't believe so.. But.. May be the first! Let's see it
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

15044141991342118500217.jpg
Here it is.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm not a Case guy but you don't have to be to see that blade has been reprofiled. Close the blade and notice how far from the end of the blade well the point of the blade comes. Blade is way short.

Edit: looks like the pen blade has been reprofiled too.

Being a Wharncliffe, Sheepcliffe, Sheepfoot kind of guy, I will say they should have made one like that. I like it like that.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Both have been reprofiled.. Nice though!!! ::tu:: Shield looks a little catty-womkiss too!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Delmar, can you tell if the handle material is pocket worn bone or Delrin? If Delrin I would think someone put the knife together using parts on hand. OH
Ps Doesn't take away from its usefulness.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

It's bone. Got a hair line fracture across one of the pins . It looks pocket worn and it still got lint in it, plus the main blade is a little weaker than the pen blade. Do you think the main blade broke and they just fixed it that way. I remember my dad re filed a point on a '40 -'64 barlow which I still have. Oh well I bought it and this case tested advertisement knife .
1504479549926153081158.jpg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”