Fisherman's Knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
cody6268

Fisherman's Knife

Post by cody6268 »

Saw this Ebay Auction older Fisherman's Knife for $10 ending within a minute, and bought the knife. I already needed a beater tackle box knife, and figured it would do well in that application. It's in rough shape, as the back handle is cracked, stone missing, and the hook remover has one prong broke off.

Looks to me, like it's 1940-1979. Seeing if it has dots on the stamp (blade wasn't opened fully by seller for some reason) when I get it should narrow it down considerably.

I feel like I bought it without thinking, and at least slightly overpaid, but was $17 shipped too much?

Seller's Photos. It should be here next week.
C_F_1_1.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
C_F_1_3.jpg
C_F_1_4.jpg
thickskinner54

Re: Fisherman's Knife

Post by thickskinner54 »

Well, $7 to ship it is a little steep, seeming that you can probably ship that knife first class for @ $2.77. But eBayers will jack the shipping to make a few extra bucks if they think the product won't bring the desired amount. If you paid $10 for the knife, in my own humble opinion, you did well. If it functions well, (blades & springs) the crack and stone missing are small potatoes. You can fairly easily replace the stone, doesn't have to be a Case stone if you're using it as a knock around fishing knife. And you can always find an inexpensive rear scale to replace the cracked one, and it will look pretty good.Or just leave it as is. I would have bought that one. At the end of the day, it is a Case. USA. We still make a pretty good knife over here. ::nod::
Politicians are the lowest life form on earth; Democrats are the lowest form of politicians - General George Patton
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

The cracked scale and missing stone do not affect usability, so if you are okay with those defects then I think that Case is easily worth what you paid.
Mel
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

No offense meant to anyone, but I would have to disagree. In my opinion that is about a $2 knife. Just to much wrong with it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

I've always said just about any case knife is worth at least $25
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

The basic frame of the knife is worth the $17. If it were mine I'd get those scales off of it ASAP. They are celluloid and it's in the process of outgassing. If you toss it in your tool or tackle box as is it will fall apart in short order. Here's an old Ka-Bar that I cleaned up and put some wood scraps on for scales.
003.JPG
If you really want to do right by the knife send it to one of the talented guys around here to put some decent scales on it ::tu::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”