Case XX ~ 3347HP ~ HP Stamping Question ~

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Mountain Man Knives

Case XX ~ 3347HP ~ HP Stamping Question ~

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

Hello I just got me a 1940's era Case XX 3347 HP ~ Can someone tell me what the HP means ~ Thank You ~ I'm sure liking this Stockman it is a little larger than the Pattern 18's ~ I had a 64047 XX once before and its' been such a long time since I've had one in my hand I had forgotten the size of these ~ It has the normal Sheepsfoot and Spey Blade with a Master Clip ~ Possibly an earlier Stamp maybe knowing that a lot of these say SHSP ~ Thanks
zp4ja

Re: Case XX ~ 3347HP ~ HP Stamping Question ~

Post by zp4ja »

It is second letter in the blade type name.

Sheepfoot = H
Spey= P
Punch = U
Pen = E

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mountain Man Knives

zp4ja wrote:It is second letter in the blade type name.

Sheepfoot = H
Spey= P
Punch = U
Pen = E

Jerry
So was this sequence used only on certain knives or certain years ~ Thanks
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Those are the letters Case has always unused. Never seen one marked SHSP.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mountain Man Knives

gsmith7158 wrote:Those are the letters Case has always unused. Never seen one marked SHSP.
Really ~ you see I was looking this pocket knife up in one of my books and all I could find were the 3347SHSP patterns and none of the 3347's had their description as being HP just SHSP so that is why I was asking ~ "My Houston Price Value Guide" 2000 edition ~ I have the New Case Guide coming in the mail today Second editions ~ Maybe it is just how Houston wrote his ~ I haven't seen enough of these to know ~ Have a good idea now though thanks to you guys ~ Thanks again ~
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mountain Man Knives wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Those are the letters Case has always unused. Never seen one marked SHSP.
Really ~ you see I was looking this pocket knife up in one of my books and all I could find were the 3347SHSP patterns and none of the 3347's had their description as being HP just SHSP so that is why I was asking ~ "My Houston Price Value Guide" 2000 edition ~ I have the New Case Guide coming in the mail today Second editions ~ Maybe it is just how Houston wrote his ~ I haven't seen enough of these to know ~ Have a good idea now though thanks to you guys ~ Thanks again ~
There's a difference between the way the pattern is written in reference books and catalogs, where they generally have ample room to print it, versus the way it's stamped on a knife blade, where space is limited.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mountain Man Knives

Mumbleypeg wrote:
Mountain Man Knives wrote:
There's a difference between the way the pattern is written in reference books and catalogs, where they generally have ample room to print it, versus the way it's stamped on a knife blade, where space is limited.

Ken
::hmm:: ~ Yep that is what I'm thinking too ~ my Friend ~ Thanks Ken ~ ::tu::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

As Mumbleypeg said, Case only used the abbreviated numbers on the blade tangs.

So in the catalog/price list it would be 3347 Sh Sp

On the tang it is 3347 HP
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”