Case the best years?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
chrisbray1954

Case the best years?

Post by chrisbray1954 »

Relating to Case knives I've seen it mentioned that early post 70's onwards were the " not so good years " what were the best years?
XX Case XX

Re: Case the best years?

Post by XX Case XX »

That would depend on who you ask. Everyone is different. People were born in different era's, different times, so for that reason, they sometimes see things differently. Everyone has their own personal opinion, myself included.

Case went through hard times. Case went through personnel changes. Sometimes those changes had a positive effect, sometimes not so good.

If you're asking for my personal opinion, I'd say the best times were before 1980. That's when I feel they made the best quality, no nonsense knives. That doesn't mean I don't like anything after 1980, I just prefer Case knives made before then.

I wish Case would go back to making knives the old way, like GEC does right now. Great Eastern, in my personal opinion, makes knives the way WR Case & Sons used to. I guess that's why older Case knives still command a healthy price.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
chrisbray1954

Post by chrisbray1954 »

Yes I can see your point, pretty much the same with a lot of companies. I also agree with you on the GEC point, I'm sure they will eventually become much sought after. Lets hope they don't suffer the same fate as many knife companies that build good stuff and become attractive to buy outs for quick bucks.
chrisbray1954

Post by chrisbray1954 »

I just wish good Case knives were easier to get hold of over here in the UK. I have several Case/Bose collaborations nice well made knives but pricey. Waiting on a few knives from Sanders knives and Knifeaholic to see how the customs operate, usually incurs a handling charge of $11 plus import tax on top, so can work out expensive. I suppose we must all suffer a little for our addiction.
chrisbray1954

Post by chrisbray1954 »

On a continuing gripe, thought I'd like to try some Walker Wax, found easily enough on e-bay, then the dreaded message "may not ship to the UK" as with many many knives I have fancied on e-bay, what are we in the UK some remote little outpost. (no please don't respond to that last comment)
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

"Best" is a subjective term. My personal opinion is that the 1920's through the early 1930's and the mid to late 1950's were the halcyon days of manufacturing to both form and function. To me this applies to knives as well as other things like cars for example.

So my Case "best" opinion that means Case Tested XX and Case XX.
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

Fit and finish on current models seem good to me.

::shrug::
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I've only bought a few "new" Case knives, they do indeed look good, but, I've noticed too much blade play, usually the main blade. I have none of the Tested knives, but, I've been well pleased with XX ones. Large (75's and 92's) Stockmans's from the 70's are the shiznit, for me. Readily available, and generally in decent shape, without costing an arm and a leg.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I would say Tested thru XX USA, they seem to have the fit and finish, great bone, blade shapes, just a really nice knife. It just seems to me there is just something a little off about newer or current Case knives, not so much fit and finish, more so how the bone looks or the blade swedge or overall shape.
I love older Case Barlows and Case does not even make a Barlow currently.
Attachments
IMG_5219.jpg
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Case Bradford / Brothers pre 1920 are my favorite ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_2603.JPG
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

I love the CaseXX era. I've been burned by Case Tested fakes so I just stay away from them. Maybe now that I have more experience I should dip my toes in again.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

My Case collection ranges from 1971-2014. I can't say the later years knives
are poor quality, but the the 70's and 80's knives have much closer tolerance,
less blade wobble, and a more pronounced snap (especially closing).

My 70's and 80's knives have seen use (usually light) and makes me feel good when
I carry them because of some history ( usually unknown since I did not buy
them when new).

The knives made in the 2000's sometimes are very difficult to open ( I don't
like a very hard pull- 8 or 9 out of 10)

I just purchased a 1977 Stag Jack. It needed a lot of polishing and cleaning but
should be real nice and sweet after I get it sharped ( previous owner sharpened it
to where the point was well rounded). The stag handles are really a great color
and the fit and finish are near perfect. Will post pics when I get it all finished.

Bob
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

I bought a new (2015 model) mini-trapper that has developed some blade-play on both blades. It urks me somewhat, but as long as it doesn't get too much worse (grammar?) I'll let it slide. If it gets to be a real problem, I'll have to send it across the border, back to Case to get it fixed. The problem is, I only have one other Case knife (10375) that has a very small amount of play, certainly nothing to complain about, so my experience with a "perfect" Case knife is rather lacking.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I have a Tribal Lock pattern made in 2017 and it is a very well made knife.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I have owned a variety of Case knives from various eras and could say both positive as well as negative things about any one of them; some serious and some just minor issues. Even my very expensive Tony Bose/Case collaboration wharncliffe lockback whittler had to be returned to have certain unacceptable problems resolved. Many people seem to have an aversion to Case knives made in the 1980s, and yet that was also when Case released the New Grind blade (for a very limited time, ostensibly due to high, unsustainable production costs) which, according to some experts anyway, is a superior design that makes for a much stronger blade. Personally, I happen to find the graceful curve of the New Grind blades more aesthetically attractive than the more common straight line perpendicular grind.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's going to be next to impossible to find complete consensus on what constitutes "the best" when it comes to Case knives because there are so many factors to consider and different folks have different priorities and standards and being the best of anything is highly subjective. Probably the most you can reasonably hope for is to get feedback and opinions from a wide range of sources, combine it with some hands-on personal experience and establish your own personal criteria for defining the best Case knife. For me at least, that journey of discovery has been very educational, extremely satisfying, frequently rewarding and always a heck of a lot of fun.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Take a newer CASE post 2000' knife and the same exact knife pattern (if it has not been discontinued) from say XX era thru the 1970s'...

Hold and compare each. Fit and finish, blade smoothness as far as action, snap, half stops if applicable, blade play, etc.

I have done this on numerous examples.

Take out the "soul" factor of the equation and judgement. But I can say, the soul factor difference is evident in my opinion.

Then tell me what is the "best years"?

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

There's no doubt that certain objective factors can be compared (walk & talk, blade play, fit & finish, etc.) between knives from different eras. And, my feeling is that among serious collectors of Case knives the majority consensus would be that pre-1980s models are generally considered better by most standards of comparison. Nevertheless, I maintain that declaring something to be "the best", in absolute terms, is impossible due to the many subjective variables that comprise such a determination. The "Soul Factor", as Jerry mentioned, is highly subjective, for example, as is aesthetic appeal and individual taste. Who's to say that a Rembrandt is better than a Van Gogh? You could analyze and compare their composition, light/shadow, use of color, technique, subject matter, detail, etc, etc. But, in the end, the best one is the one that "speaks" to you or touches your soul.

As I look at these two stag Cheetahs, a 1976 and a 2007...I really can't say one is absolutely better than the other and then extrapolate that to declare that one era is therefore better than the other era in every single instance for every single knife. Both are exquisite, well-made knives that satisfy the reason for which they were purchased.
P7090352.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

QTCut5 wrote:There's no doubt that certain objective factors can be compared (walk & talk, blade play, fit & finish, etc.) between knives from different eras. And, my feeling is that among serious collectors of Case knives the majority consensus would be that pre-1980s models are generally considered better by most standards of comparison. Nevertheless, I maintain that declaring something to be "the best", in absolute terms, is impossible due to the many subjective variables that comprise such a determination. The "Soul Factor", as Jerry mentioned, is highly subjective, for example, as is aesthetic appeal and individual taste. Who's to say that a Rembrandt is better than a Van Gogh? You could analyze and compare their composition, light/shadow, use of color, technique, subject matter, detail, etc, etc. But, in the end, the best one is the one that "speaks" to you or touches your soul.

As I look at these two stag Cheetahs, a 1976 and a 2007...I really can't say one is absolutely better than the other and then extrapolate that to declare that one era is therefore better than the other era in every single instance for every single knife. Both are exquisite, well-made knives that satisfy the reason for which they were purchased.

P7090352.JPG

~Q~
I certainly agree with what you are saying Q. That said said I personally have 100s of examples of each in my collection. A extremely small fraction have ever cut or seen a pocket. Two groups pre 1980' to 1900' and post 1980' to 2000'. Sample one hundred knives of each which I have done. There is no question in my mind what the "best years are". Yes, subjective and my opinion. But when I have post 80' knives bought new, only owner that has zero snap and that left the factory, that in my mind says it all. I am talking a late 90's mini Copperhead for example with a wharncliffe that requires a pull open push closed, zero snap on both blades. And it ain't isolated to that one knife. Can't recall one of the pre 80's sample group having any issue.

My opinion.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

After all this discussion, it occurs to me that maybe it would be simpler to identify the "worst" years--1980s &1990s--instead of the best years of Case knives. Those are the years that I have personally experienced the most problems with Case knives and the lowest in overall quality. Pre 1980 - no serious issues, great knives. Post 2000 - also well-made knives, but perhaps lacking some of the "soul" of the earlier eras. Of course, there will always be isolated exceptions, but generally speaking, that seems about right to me. ::handshake::

I sure wish Case could find a way to make knives like they used to in the good old days (like GEC seems to be doing). Perhaps the secret is smaller runs?

~Q~

~Q~
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I have 2 CV Trappers a Trapperlock and a Trapper, yellow handles. One is 2008 and the other is 2015. Both seem to be great quality and are great users, fit and finish is good, no complaints from me. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My opinion regarding this comes from the perspective of a longtime (over 50 years) user, admirer, and collector of Case knives. My answer is that the best years for Case knives were the Tested XX and prior years, which is basically early 1900s through early to mid-1940s.

The reasons for this are:

1. That was what many call the golden age of American cutlery. Case was one among many (hundreds) of American cutlery companies that had in their employ some of the finest cutlers in the world, producing cutlery of outstanding quality. The products of those companies, from that time period, can be seen in abundance by simply browsing the pages of AAPK. Competition was fierce. That Case not only survived, but in fact thrived during that time is testimony to the quality of the product they produced at the time.

2. During that time frame things like walk-and-talk, fit, finish, and quality steel were universally expected. Those items were understood, taken for granted, a manufacturer's price of admission just to get in the game. Knife buyers of those days made buying decisions largely on brand loyalty, pattern preferences, handle materials, etc. So cutleries including Case attempted differentiation of their products on the basis of "extras" like a vast array of different patterns, quality handle materials, swedged blades, and half stops. Various proprietary steel tempering techniques were much ballyhooed by manufacturers. Competition was fierce.

3. Sometime post WWII things began change. Many cutlery companies failed financially. Surviving companies including Case began discontinuing patterns with increasing frequency. Manufacturing became more automated and as a result things like hand polishing and swedged blades were discontinued. For Case, it seems many of these changes were made during the XX era (1945-1965). Through about 1980 a Case knife buyer could still assume walk-and-talk, quality materials, and excellent fit and finish. But swedged blades and other similar nice-to-have cosmetic, but "not affecting function", features are gone. Except for some special issue knives such as Case Select or high-end Bose collaborations, etc.

4. As others have pointed out Case knives still look great, fit and finish is excellent. I've found mechanical (walk-and-talk) to be hit and miss. I seldom buy a new Case or any other brand nowadays but if I do it's one I can personally hand select. In recent years I've found slow or lazy blades on Case, Queen, and GEC, and a German-made Boker. Pre-1980, such knives never made it out of the factory! Competition is still tough, and I'm a picky buyer with old-school expectations! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

even xx and tested knives didn't escape some flaws, I've heard "case would have never of sent that out" and I strongly disagree to a degree. I've had and have many mint xx and tested knives with lacking fit, or minor flaws some would judge harshly on newer case knives.

Now, hands down in a xx and tested era guy, but credit is due to case still.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

XxTestedxX wrote:even xx and tested knives didn't escape some flaws, I've heard "case would have never of sent that out" and I strongly disagree to a degree. I've had and have many mint xx and tested knives with lacking fit, or minor flaws some would judge harshly on newer case knives.

Got any with zero snap?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

zp4ja wrote:
XxTestedxX wrote:even xx and tested knives didn't escape some flaws, I've heard "case would have never of sent that out" and I strongly disagree to a degree. I've had and have many mint xx and tested knives with lacking fit, or minor flaws some would judge harshly on newer case knives.

Got any with zero snap?
How about any newer ones with blade swedges and long pulls? ::hmm::

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

My post wasn't in response to anyone's, my two cents.

Also said to a degree, but no.. No mint tested or xx without snap, I meant fit On shields, some assembly fit, nothing major, just not flawless perfection. On some.. But overall xx and tested era has my heart

Yes, there are some LP's on modern case, some congress and others like the baby Butterbean. A few knives with nice swedges, some of the Bose patterns.. And case selects.

Not as much as I'd like to see, I'm sure they could pull it off.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”