Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by QTCut5 »

Old Hunter wrote:Q, you are a one man Tsunami on medium size Trappers! Love seeing all the pictures. OH
Thanks, Old H...I'm glad to know there are others out there who enjoy looking at my knife pics as much as I do.

Your Tsunami metaphor is particularly apt as I often feel I am being swept up and drowning in a tidal wave of Mini Trappers. Nevertheless, for some reason I just keep adding more and more to the rising tide, somehow just barely managing to keep my nose above the waterline.

Here is my collection of 1st ISSUE 07 Mini Trappers. I'm still looking for a Yellow Bone in order to have one of each color released. At the same time, I'm always on the hunt for either the straight edge or the serrated Wharncliffe version of each color to complete the full set.
P1070004.JPG
P1070005.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice first issue set - if I ever see a yellow I’ll let you know. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I see I've been neglecting this thread.
Attachments
Daniel Boone Mini-Trapper - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR1659 Mini-Trapper Black Cherry Bone - Labeled.JPG
Case 2016 Harley Davidson 10207 SS Mini Trapper Lava Kirinite - 1-Labeled.JPG
Case 2015 6207 Mini Trapper Candy Cane Cigar Band -- Labeled.JPG
Buck 382 Mini-Trapper G-10 - 2014 - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Posted else where but I'll show it here as well. A Case XX Tested Centennial 1889 - 1989 FB 207. The FB shows that the scales are from Case's old Foster Books plant floor boards. Got it from our own Nutmeg State Knives with the box but no paper work. Serial # 0032. Also like the shield.
DSCN5275.JPG
DSCN5276.JPG
DSCN5277.JPG
DSCN5278.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Wow...apparently the old Foster Brooks plant had some very nice floorboards. That is beautiful wood on your 07, Floyd. And, I must say, I love the "FB" in the pattern number tang stamp; I'm always drawn to little unique details like that. I can't help but imagine that sometime down the road in the future, some Case collector will wonder what in the world the "FB" stands for. If he's an AAPK member and asks about it, I will be able to answer his question, thanks to you.

Great looking Mini Trapper with a cool shield and unique pattern number tang stamp. Take it from an obsessive compulsive mini trapper collector: you got yourself a winner, right there, yes indeed. ::nod::

~Q~

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

QTCut5 wrote:Wow...apparently the old Foster Brooks plant had some very nice floorboards. That is beautiful wood on your 07, Floyd. And, I must say, I love the "FB" in the pattern number tang stamp; I'm always drawn to little unique details like that. I can't help but imagine that sometime down the road in the future, some Case collector will wonder what in the world the "FB" stands for. If he's an AAPK member and asks about it, I will be able to answer his question, thanks to you.

Great looking Mini Trapper with a cool shield and unique pattern number tang stamp. Take it from an obsessive compulsive mini trapper collector: you got yourself a winner, right there, yes indeed. ::nod::

~Q~
Hey Floyd.. What he said!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: :lol: ::tu:: ::tu::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Q and John I value and appreciate your comments. Thanks. ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I've long been a fan of Case's "Peacock Appaloosa" bone and have owned several different Case patterns over the years with that handle material. Unfortunately, I have yet to see it on an 07. So, despite my general dislike of synthetic handles, OCD Monkey's impatience finally forced me to go out on a limb and get my first 07 with a Corelon handle. And while I do happen to be an Aquarius, the main reason I decided to get this knife is because I really dig the blue & green "peacock" color combination. Now that I have it in hand, I must admit, Corelon really isn't all that bad--for a synthetic handle material; the color swirls are mesmerizing...almost as hypnotic as abalone.
P1270002.JPG
P1270004.JPG
P1270003.JPG
This is my first (and only) Case Mini Trapper that has a pattern number beginning with "9"
P1270011.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wow ~Q~. That's Purdy. ::drool::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I like Corelon ... so apparently does EVERYBODY else - never ever EVER can I find a "deal" on a corelon sided Case knife on eBay, so I've given up on it. That concludes todays rant ... that is a nicer than average corelon mini-T you have there Q ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Lansky1 wrote:I like Corelon ... so apparently does EVERYBODY else - never ever EVER can I find a "deal" on a corelon sided Case knife on eBay, so I've given up on it. That concludes todays rant ... that is a nicer than average corelon mini-T you have there Q ::tu::
Try Deadwood Collectable Knives..
John :D

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks, John & jerryd. I got it from digital_freaks; but, curiously, it was sold auction style instead of their usual fixed price method and I ended up winning it for $34 (+$5.95 s/h)...which I feel was a pretty good deal.

Right now seems to be a buyer's market for eBay auctions...probably because a lot of people are still recovering from their holiday spending; that would be my guess. Seems like more sellers are listing for a fixed price instead of using the open auction format (at least for most of the knives I'm interested in). Personally, I prefer the open auctions.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good price. Most I've seen are in the $52 and higher range.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Pueblo Sky Blue. I don't claim to know all the different color 07s Case has ever released, but this is the first and only one I have ever seen in this particular color; although, it seems very similar to "Sky Blue" IMO. If they made a lot (as they usually do) you'd think there would be more out there in circulation and it would be seen more on the secondary market. Perhaps as they began running out of Sky Blue dye, they invented a new name for the lighter, i.e., diluted hue, to make it sound more exotic?
P2080008.JPG
P2080010.JPG
P2080006.JPG
Tang stamp shows this to be a 2004 release, but the box label shows 12/03/2003...apparently they started using the new (2004) blades before they had finished the 2003 production run of this pattern.

~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

2019 release...Burnt Amber Jig Bone with Celebration Shield. Although why it's called a "Celebration" shield I do not know. Looks more like a butterfly or a stingray to me. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will enlighten us.

In the meantime, however, I am excited and pleased that Case has released a new 07W. It's about time we got a new wharncliffe mini trapper. Now, if they would just release a new 107W, I'd be pleased as punch. But for the time being, I'll take what I can get.
P2080014.JPG
P2080015.JPG
P2080006_1.JPG
P2080023.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I like it ~Q~. I want one. At least you got what you ordered.

This is the result of ordering what I thought was going to be an 07W. I didn't have one so I guess I'll keep it but I can't help but be disappointed. BTW, this is the second time around for this particular knife. Same thing happened some time ago but I sent it back. I know the 07W exists. I've seen pictures. ::shrug::
Attachments
Case 2015 Mini Trapper 6207 SS - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Pictures can be deceptive...I once saw a picture of a Case Slimline Trapper (048) with a Wharncliffe blade in a SMKW catalog. I called to order one immediately only to be told that it was a "printing error." But, I do believe a Green Barnboard 07W actually does exist, however elusive it may be for you to obtain, jerryd. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for you.

In the meantime, my latest 07 acquisition is this 2015 Antique Amber 6207W (which actually did arrive with a wharncliffe blade, as advertised).
P2110014.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Real nice MTs Q and jerry!! I do believe that yinz are trying to corner the market!!! ::tease:: :lol:

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jmh58 wrote:Real nice MTs Q and jerry!! I do believe that yinz are trying to corner the market!!! ::tease:: :lol:
Thanks, John. You may be onto something; although I assure you it's completely and totally unintentional. I can't explain it and I've given up even trying to understand, much less control it...but for some reason I keep finding mini trappers in my mailbox like an old spinster finds stray cats sleeping on her sofa. I think it may be my secret super power: I'm an 07 magnet!

Here's the latest 07 to suddenly appear in my possession...an SC6207 with Roman Numeral date stamp (it's 1993 for those of you who don't read Roman). The "SC" stands for "Second Cut" although it could also stand for "Super Cool" or possibly even "Sweet Case"...I mean, if they can have an "FB" stamp to stand for "Foster Brooks" (or was it "Floor Boards"?), who's to say, really?
P2150003.JPG
P2150010.JPG
P2150011.JPG
P2150005.JPG
And, just like the proverbial cat lady, this isn't my first 07 that's a duplicate of one I already have. If history is any indication, it won't be the last, either.
P2150012.JPG
P2150014.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC05844.JPG

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, those Carhartts are some nice ones. Of course, it's the Wharncliffe blade in that one that turns me on. :mrgreen: Congratulations.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thanks jerry.. ::handshake:: I do like then Wharnies!! ::super_happy::

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The 07 magnet pulled in a couple more mini trappers (much like a black hole sucks up everything that passes too close to its event horizon). ::mdm::

The Aquarius Corelon is a duplicate of one I already have...so, only 498 more needed to complete that collection! ::uc::
The moon must be in the seventh house and Jupiter aligned with Mars, because apparently it's the dawning of the "Age of Aquarius" :lol:
P2270009.JPG
P2270010.JPG
P2270013.JPG
P2270019.JPG
P2270018.JPG
P2270021.JPG
P2270023.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I like it ~Q~. I want one. At least you got what you ordered.

This is the result of ordering what I thought was going to be an 07W. I didn't have one so I guess I'll keep it but I can't help but be disappointed. BTW, this is the second time around for this particular knife. Same thing happened some time ago but I sent it back. I know the 07W exists. I've seen pictures. ::shrug::
Hey Jerry - I just got the twin brother of your mini trapper in the mail today - same year. This one is better than average - nice snap, both blades center nicely. I lucked out & got a sweet deal on this one ... (almost) felt bad taking it off the sellers hands for what I won it for. ::groove::
IMG_8230.JPG
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Way to go Big John. ::tu::

~Q~ I really like that 2015 with Case and USA engraved in the handle. That's on my must have list.

I had another show up in today's mail. It's the 2016 with gray bone handles. Pictures tomorrow.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”