Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Lansky1

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by Lansky1 »

my all time fave pattern. I'll post some pics later ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Black Pearl & Jasper 107W custom mod.
P7210355.JPG
P7210356.JPG
P7210358.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

wow - thats an incredible mod ... from the rear bolster shape, did that start life out as a Carhartt ? May I ask who did the work ?

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks, John.
Carhartt was my first guess as well since those are the only 107W models I have ever seen with the 'lazy duck' bolster. However, this mod has a mirror polished SS blade, and all the Carhartt 107Ws I own and have seen have an 'as ground' blade--so, I really don't know. I suppose the guy who did the mod may have also polished the blade, or perhaps used a blade from a different knife? ::shrug::

~Q~

PS--Thurman is the only name I was given when I asked who did the mod. I believe he's from Alabama. That's all I know.
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote:Thanks, John.
Carhartt was my first guess as well since those are the only 107W models I have ever seen with the 'lazy duck' bolster. However, this mod has a mirror polished SS blade, and all the Carhartt 107Ws I own and have seen have an 'as ground' blade--so, I really don't know. I suppose the guy who did the mod may have also polished the blade, or perhaps used a blade from a different knife? ::shrug::

~Q~

PS--Thurman is the only name I was given when I asked who did the mod. I believe he's from Alabama. That's all I know.
Super nice 07W ... thx for the background info - you have yourself one fine and rare knife there ::tu::

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks, John.

And, BTW, thank you for turning me on to the Persimmon Orange 107W at Shepherd Hills. It took me awhile to pull the trigger on that one because I just wasn't all that crazy about the color. Bright orange still isn't one of my 'preferred' colors on a knife handle, but now that I have it in hand, it definitely is growing on me and I'm glad I got it.

Cheers & Aloha,
~Q~

PS--Still can't bring myself to purchase the neon pink Bubba Gum Lady Case 107W...just can't do it. ::barf::
So, I guess my otherwise complete 107W collection will forever remain incomplete due to lacking this one model.
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote:Thanks, John.

And, BTW, thank you for turning me on to the Persimmon Orange 107W at Shepherd Hills. It took me awhile to pull the trigger on that one because I just wasn't all that crazy about the color. Bright orange still isn't one of my 'preferred' colors on a knife handle, but now that I have it in hand, it definitely is growing on me and I'm glad I got it.

Cheers & Aloha,
~Q~

PS--Still can't bring myself to purchase the neon pink Bubba Gum Lady Case 107W...just can't do it. ::barf::
So, I guess my otherwise complete 107W collection will forever remain incomplete due to lacking this one model.
s-l400.jpg
Q - Yeah, I like the persimmon orange 107W - grows on me too the more I carry it. I have a cotton candy canoe - don't mind it, but don't think I could do the full out pink of the Lady Case either ... maybe if I could figure out how to remove the "Lady Case" etch from the blade

John
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Q - this might fit into your collection: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-2002-Mi ... fresh=true

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Got it! Interesting thing about this one...notice that the pattern number does not have a 'W' to denote the Wharncliffe blade. I've never seen a Case knife with a Wharncliffe blade that did not have either a 'W' or 'WH' in the pattern number. I wonder why this one doesn't? Very strange.
Case 6107 SS.jpg
~Q~
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote:Got it! Interesting thing about this one...notice that the pattern number does not have a 'W' to denote the Wharncliffe blade. I've never seen a Case knife with a Wharncliffe blade that did not have either a 'W' or 'WH' in the pattern number. I wonder why this one doesn't? Very strange.

Case 6107 SS.jpg

~Q~
NICE ! From your collection, I figured that might be a missing link. Great deal too ::tu::

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Hey, anytime I can score a knife for one of my sub-collections for less than $30, you can bet I'm going to be jumping for joy. ::ds::

Usually it's quite the opposite: I end up way overpaying because I just can't bear to let it get away; I always convince myself that I'll never have another opportunity to get that particular knife ever again! It's a symptom of OCD--Obsessive Collecting Disorder. ::paranoid::

~Q~
~Q~
Oldredbone67

Post by Oldredbone67 »

A couple of 6207W's love the wharncliffe blades !
Perriwinckle and green apple - not your everyday colors, but a couple of my favorites.
Attachments
6207W
6207W
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Finally got the last two that I needed to complete my Case 107W collection (minus the Bubba Gum Lady Case 107W...as noted above).
Question I still have is why the red delrin w/stars & stripes shield mini trapper does NOT have a 'W' in the pattern number?? Can anyone explain that, please??? ::shrug::
P7280349.JPG
P7280352.JPG
P7280355.JPG
P7280360.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's some group shots of all my Case 07 Mini Trappers

The 107W Collection:
P7300348.JPG
My 207 Group:
P7300349.JPG
Custom Abalone & File Work by Painted Pony
P7300351.JPG
P7300354.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Q how do you keep yourself apprised of all the knives that you acquire with Wharnecliffe blades. I have an ebay search set up for wharnecliffe blades but it doesn't return anything near as interesting as some of the knives that you show! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Persistence mainly...I spend a lot of time looking at knives nearly every day (way too much time really). Sometimes my saved searches will come up with knives that interest me but many of the less-common wharncliffe knives I just happen to stumble across by pure luck or by clicking on "seller's other items" or the knives eBay suggests ("people who looked at this knife also looked at"). Also, friends, other collectors & AAPK members who know of my preference for wharncliffes will often send links to knives they've found that they think I might be interested in; that's always appreciated. ::handshake::

~Q~
~Q~
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote:Got it! Interesting thing about this one...notice that the pattern number does not have a 'W' to denote the Wharncliffe blade. I've never seen a Case knife with a Wharncliffe blade that did not have either a 'W' or 'WH' in the pattern number. I wonder why this one doesn't? Very strange.

Case 6107 SS.jpg

~Q~
Hey Q - I have the same American flag shield red 6107 - mine has the "W" designation. Peculiar yours doesn't - maybe it's even more collectible as it appears to be an anomaly ...
c2.jpg
c1.jpg

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Lansky1 wrote:
~Q~
Hey Q - I have the same American flag shield red 6107 - mine has the "W" designation. Peculiar yours doesn't - maybe it's even more collectible as it appears to be an anomaly ...
Now that really boggles my mind. I was thinking that perhaps a whole run of 07 wharncliffe blades from 2002 got mis-stamped because it seems highly unlikely that just one single blade got the wrong stamp. But, since yours is the same year as mine and has the 'W', I can't figure out why mine is missing the 'W'...unless mine somehow got mixed in with some other 07 secondary (spay) blades during the tang stamping, although if that were the case, then it would have a 207 stamp not the 107. A very strange mystery, indeed. ::hmm::

~Q~
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Couple more 07s recently added to my never-ending pile. Normally, I only collect 07Ws, not the spay blade version. But, seeing as how this IV207 has somewhat rare "exotic" handle material, I decided to make an exception.

1985 IV207
P8050356.JPG
P8050359.JPG
2015 Limited Edition Bonestag 6.5207W
P8050362.JPG
P8050361.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Is that "rare "exotic" handle material" perhaps a "natural material" ? (scrimed Ivory)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Is that "rare "exotic" handle material" perhaps a "natural material" ? (scrimed Ivory)
Indeed, it is. (Note the tang stamp prefix: IV)

~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh! Saw that. Guess that don't mean 4. :oops: ::facepalm:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've shown these a couple of other places but they belong here as well. Both were birthday gifts and I am thrilled to death with them.
Attachments
CASE 2015 Mini-Trapper 6207 - USMC - Mark Open.JPG
Case 2016 Mini-Trapper 3207 SS Yellow - Mark Open.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I've shown these a couple of other places but they belong here as well. Both were birthday gifts and I am thrilled to death with them.
Yes, indeed, nice mini Ts, jerryd. I especially like the marine corps emblem stamped on the bolster of your blue 07. I'm not usually a big fan of extra cosmetic embellishment, but that's a nice touch; very classy. ::tu::

~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:I've shown these a couple of other places but they belong here as well. Both were birthday gifts and I am thrilled to death with them.
Yes, indeed, nice mini Ts, jerryd. I especially like the marine corps emblem stamped on the bolster of your blue 07. I'm not usually a big fan of extra cosmetic embellishment, but that's a nice touch; very classy. ::tu::

~Q~
Thank you ~Q~. The nice part of it is it's stamped and not etched. Fairly deeply stamped at that. That was a pleasant surprise.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”