Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by Grump01 »

But jerryd there was also Amber bone and kirinite also........ :mrgreen:
Don
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

But Don, have you noticed how many variations of the 07 there are? Are you going to give me a generous monthly allowance? :mrgreen:

That's me after January.
Attachments
hole.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

Jerryd, there's only 2 more caplifters...........Must Enable The Greatest Enablers (Agitator)......... ::handshake::
Don
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Jigged Natural Bone with Red Oval Shield (not Sparxx)
P2070003.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ahhhh, that's a beauty ~Q~. There are just too many. I can't afford all of 'em. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks, jerryd.
Not only can I not afford to get all the knives I want, I really can't even afford half the knives I actually get...but I get 'em anyway and somehow manage to work it out. For me, they seem to come in waves, either feast or famine. I still have four more mini Ts bought & paid for and in the mail, but the Universe seems to be screwing with me and taking much too long to get them delivered. I am still waiting on one knife that was shipped on Jan 22 from silverladdie in Chattanooga, TN, that was last scanned in San Francisco on Jan 31. Pkgs shipped first class from the mainland typically get to me in about 4 - 5 days, so the delay probably means that this knife somehow got mixed in with the parcel post and is burried in the cargo hold of a container ship somewhere in the Pacific Ocean and could take up to ten weeks to arrive. Then there are the sellers who don't ship the knife immediately after receiving payment. For some mysterious reason they create a shipping label and then hold onto the pkg for two or three more days before dropping it off at the PO. Very annoying to say the least. When I sell a knife I always ship it within 24 hours of receiving payment because I just naturally assume everyone is as impatient as I am and wants to get their new knife ASAP.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~ we're singing out of the same hymnal. Sellers seem to be too deeply steeped in tradition. Don't they get that when they print out the postage at home and affix it to the package, they don't have to drop it at a post office? They can stuff it in a drop box if it fits through the slot, put it in their mail box for their route man to pick up or just hand it to any carrier they see on the street. And don't get me started on the USPS and all the crazy stuff they've been doing since they restructured their distribution system last summer.

After last month's irresponsible spending, I wasn't going to buy any more this month BUT this one from my wish list forced me to hammer it sold. ::facepalm::

Stock picture. Listing pictures were horrible but after a few messages back and forth, he convinced me it's brand new/in the box. He said he's an old Navy Corpsman. He wouldn't lie about something as serious as that. Would he?
Attachments
2017 CASE Mini Trapper 6207 SS Star Spangled Banner Natural Bone.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

More fine MTs yinz got there!! ::tu:: I got a couple more but need to get some pics taken.. ::facepalm:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

These two are not Case 07s, but they are Mini Trappers, nonetheless. Made in USA by Bear MGC but the price and quality are closer to a Pacific Rim production knife IMO. (The Stag Delrin arrived with a spot of rust on the spey blade right under the nail nick which is visible in the photo.)
P2090015.JPG
"Red Stag" Delrin
"Red Stag" Delrin
Smooth White Bone
Smooth White Bone
~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

These two arrived yesterday.
P2110015.JPG
P2110014.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This 2005 Sunset Orange Jigged Bone 6207W with diamond shield completes the orange sub-group of my Mini Trapper collection (for the time being, anyway). That's not to say that I own an example of every single orange Mini Trapper Case has ever released; but, as a general rule I tend to avoid synthetic handles as much as possible. If Case ever releases a synthetic orange Wharncliffe Mini Trapper (07W), however, I'll definitely buy one since in my collection a wharncliffe blade trumps handle material every time.
P2150001.JPG
P2150002.JPG
P2150008.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~ you can put the two Bear & Son Mini-Trappers in here because they're USA knives but I'm going to refrain from adding my two Rough Riders.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:~Q~ you can put the two Bear & Son Mini-Trappers in here because they're USA knives but I'm going to refrain from adding my two Rough Riders.
You mean you have another Rough Rider Mini Trapper besides the tobacco bone that you already posted in this thread just over one month ago?
jerryd6818 wrote:That RR came today. Dast I put it here in a Case thread. Oh well, all they can do is kick me off the forum and I've been kicked out of better places than this.
(see page 8 of this thread)

I know we're all getting old and starting to forget stuff, but surely you can remember stuff from just five weeks ago, jerryd...or was the RR really that forgettable?

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well yes. Now that you brought it up I remember but seriously, I have trouble remembering what happened two minutes ago. I see the dot that means I've posted in a thread and have to go back through the entire thread to see what it was. If it's a long thread, by the time I get to the end, I don't remember what I saw or posted and that's God's own truth. Knock your self out. Go ahead and have a giggle fest. I have broad shoulders. I can take it and I don't get upset over it but my memory is truly getting that bad. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

You're not alone, my brother...I only make fun because I suffer from the same affliction (I'd probably forget my own name if my wife didn't keep screaming it at me all the time!).

Now, how about posting your other RR Mini T? I, for one, would like to see it despite it not being a domestic made knife.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't have a wife to remind me what my name is but I do have my name in my phone so I know it's not "dumb a**" or "a**-hole", those are just affectionate names my friends call me.

Since you already told me I had posted the Tobacco Bone, I guess this one may not have been posted (I didn't go back an look). This is the Premium Select Mini-Trapper. It's pretty but the Tobacco Bone is a much better knife.

No more Mini-Trappers for me until March. I cleaned out my pocket book with that GEC #56 Bird Dog that's headed for Rockford. They say Tuesday delivery but it's only coming from the Dayton OH area so if the USPS doesn't lollygag too badly, it may be delivered on Saturday. ::pray:: It's already left Cincinnati. I've made that trip so many times, I know it only takes 6-6½ hours to drive it but passing through all the distribution centers between here and there slows it down to a crawl. And life goes on.
Attachments
DSC08663.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Personally, I enjoy looking at and comparing similar knives by different makers and this RR is a good looking mini trapper and a fine addition to this thread. Thanks for posting it.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Do you have RR's in your pile? If so, which ones (pictures please).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Do you have RR's in your pile? If so, which ones (pictures please).
I do not own any Rough Rider knives at all. I bought a few different RR patterns out of the SMKW catalog many years ago when I was more of an accumulator before I had settled on anything specific to collect. I loved their low prices but found their quality to be unsatisfactory. I suppose RR quality has likely improved somewhat since then; so, I may have to give them another chance. However, to be honest, with the exception of that Tobacco Bone Mini T with the acorn shield, I haven't seen any RR scale covers that really call out to me. I'm not a fan of synthetic handle materials but I might consider a RR Mini T with white bone covers; that's a staple handle material in my collection.

Here's my white bone Mini Trapper group:
P2160017.JPG
L-R: two Case 07s, Parker-Edwards, Bear MGC

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I love the jigged white bone with the red shield. It is soooo classy. ::tu::

I'm so weak. I folded and ordered that Star Spangled Mini-Trapper. In my defense it was the best price I've seen for one on eBay, there was only one at that price and I was the only bidder. :roll: It's coming from Scottsdale AZ and should be here this week. ::pray::

Stock Photo.
Attachments
2017 CASE Mini Trapper 6207 SS Star Spangled Banner Natural Bone.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks, jerryd. Congrats on scoring the Star Spangled Mini-Trapper that you've been wanting...and at a decent price to boot--that always helps sweeten the deal when you can get a knife you want for a good price. It will make a great matching pair along with your large (54) Star Spangled Trapper.

I too "broke down" and decided to take a chance on a couple of Rough Rider Mini Ts...one smooth and one rough white bone. Although I am never interested in adding POS knives to my collection (regardless of low price), in the end, I decided that even if they don't meet my basic minimum quality standard for functionality, at least they have acceptable aesthetic appeal and I've spent substantially more money on supposedly higher quality knives that were significantly less attractive. And, since these knives won't be carried or used, form trumps function. Besides, the worst that could happen is they reconfirm my preconceptions, but with relatively little financial risk. I'm hesitantly optimistic, but will wait until I have them in hand before passing judgement.

In the meantime, I also won the auction for a particular Case 07W that I've been wanting for years and rarely see come up for sale. That's always a thrilling experience. Now comes the hard part...
::pace::

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You're leaving me in suspenders. Come on ~Q~, steal the pictures from the sales and post them, especially the one you've been looking for.
BTW, I thought you would bow to the Tobacco Bone with the Acorn shield. :lol: :lol:

Hey, you can always get rid of the RR's in a POS Round Table. ::woot::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:You're leaving me in suspenders. Come on ~Q~, steal the pictures from the sales and post them, especially the one you've been looking for.
BTW, I thought you would bow to the Tobacco Bone with the Acorn shield. :lol: :lol:

Hey, you can always get rid of the RR's in a POS Round Table. ::woot::
I actually started searching around for a RR Tobacco Bone Mini T but (as so often happens) got sidetracked and ended up buying the white bones instead. If I like them enough, I might still try to get the TB model...if there are any left by then. Surprisingly, the dealer sites I checked were all sold out of that particular model...apparently that one was very popular.

Here's a teaser of the one I had been looking for for a long time (ever since I first saw it in this Case Select catalog that came with a Select Copperlock I bought a number of years ago).
P2200005.JPG
P2200003.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

DSC08939.JPG
DSC08940.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Jerry, That's a nice one!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”