Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~ You pick up all the 107W mini-trappers and I'll grab all the 207W mini-trappers. That will make both of us happy. ::handshake::

Even though I have a couple of the single blade 107W models I much prefer those with two blades.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:~Q~ You pick up all the 107W mini-trappers and I'll grab all the 207W mini-trappers. That will make both of us happy. ::handshake::

Even though I have a couple of the single blade 107W models I much prefer those with two blades.
Fine by me, jerryd. But I am curious if you also find the pull on the clip blade inconveniently close to the pivot, or is it just me?

~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The folder with the 07s in it was sitting here by my desk so I tried them and no, I don't find the nail nick to be in an inconvenient/uncomfortable position. For me, actually quite nice.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Red Stag 5207 SS
PC230006.JPG
Customized 3207 SS Red Jasper & Black Pearl
PC230012.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh mercy me, ~Q~. Those are a couple of mighty fine looking 07s. Congratulations.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Q super nice

Found one more that I got recently.
Attachments
2017 #91451 4207SS Mini Trapper "Honor Flight Kentucky"
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I like white handles.
Here's a 1984 W207 SP SSP in smooth white bone.
P1050006.JPG
P1050004.JPG
P1050005.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Do you suppose they gave those to the fellas that went on that Honor Flight or was it something for sale?

I decided I don't have anything in Kirinite so this 07 in Patriot Kirinite is on it's way to live with me. I would have rather had an 07W but couldn't find any evidence one was made with Patriot Kirinite.
Sellers picture is representative of what I'll get since all handles are slightly different.
Attachments
Case 2015 Mini-Trapper 10207 SS Patriot Kirinite - Open.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I would have rather had an 07W but couldn't find any evidence one was made with Patriot Kirinite.
You're preaching to the choir re: preference for the 07W, jerryd; I feel your pain. :(
Substitute in any number of different handle materials and that's the exact same problem I keep running into. :? ::disgust::

Although generally I tend to prefer natural handle materials, I must admit that Patriot Swirl is very attractive. I've seen a few other 07s with synthetic handles that intrigue me as well, so I might have to start rethinking my bias. It certainly would make my decision a lot easier if the synthetic-handled mini Trappers I like had a wharncliffe blade, though.

~Q~
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

STOP IT NOW!! ::smack:: Yinz guys gotta QUIT posting those fine MTs.. Yinz are gonna kill my wallet!!! :lol:

Fine 07 pics for sure ::nod:: and one of my favorite patterns.. Gotta figure out this indoor pic taking so I can post the 07s I have acrewed!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jmh58 wrote: Gotta figure out this indoor pic taking so I can post the 07s I have acrewed!! John :D
There's no magic wand John. It's plenty of light (close to a window) and a good, free image editing program (PhotoScape -- Get it here ---► http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php )

There is a learning curve made easier by PhotoScape's great online help section. Play!!! Click on stuff just to see what it does. Nothing is permanent until you click save or save as. You can always close the program and start over. YOU CAN'T SCREW UP THE PROGRAM so don't be afraid to try stuff.
If you feel you need pointers, get in touch with me (do you still have my phone number?). I'll be glad to help.
Attachments
PhotoScape.jpg
PhotoScape 2.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

[quote="jerryd6818"]Do you suppose they gave those to the fellas that went on that Honor Flight or was it something for sale?

Jerry, I'm pretty positive that it was a Fundraiser for "Honor Flight", I could be wrong.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Some 07s on sale at SHC.. ::tu:: Check out the Bright Green in a tin.. KOOL!!! Just sayin... John :D

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's not an 07, it's the RR version of an 07. Should show up in my mailbox tomorrow. Could have been here yesterday but the postal system sent it for another trip around the barn (he grumped).

Internet picture. Seller's picture was less than adequate.
Rough Rider RR778 Mini Trapper Smooth Tobacco Bone.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice looking RR Jerry, as a manufacturer they seem to be getting better and better. OH

As to the 07 pattern; I've never been given to carrying a Trapper knife but I like the looks of them. Over Christmas my 35 year old son pulled out his Case 7207 and told me it needed sharpening; it wasn't bad so I showed him how to touch it up using a ceramic stick. I was glad to see that he is still a regular carrier of a pocketknife and that it was a good old, traditional USA brand - it was a gift from his best buddy. I own a Maple handled 54 pattern, but this was the first wood handles (looked like walnut) I had seen on a 07 pattern. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:It's not an 07, it's the RR version of an 07.
Jerryd's RR may not be an "official" 07, but it's certainly a mini trapper just the same. So, to follow suit, here's a Parker-Edwards single blade mini trapper that is probably related to the Case 07 (half-brother?) in that both are the offspring of Papa Jim Parker.
PC120001.JPG
PC120004.JPG
Not identical, but there's definitely a family resemblance.
P1050029.JPG
I might also point out that the placement of the nail-pull on the Parker-Edwards makes opening the blade that much easier (for me). Such a small thing...a matter of a few fractions of an inch...can make a significant difference. I also really like the rounded pivot-end bolster on the P-E.

~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm blaming ~Q~ for my slowly sinking into the morass of 07-dom. I'm not a huge Case fan. In fact I have very little interest where Case knives in general are concerned but I've fallen head over heels for the Mini-Trapper pattern, especially those with a Wharncliffe blade and since Case has released so many of them over the years...............
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I'm blaming ~Q~ for my slowly sinking into the morass of 07-dom.
Now hold on a minute, jerryd...all I did was offer a tiny sip, no one forced you to chug the whole jug and become addicted. Yes, I will
admit that it's hard to let go of the teat once you've swallowed the sweet nectar, but there's no need to point fingers and place blame. Anyway, resistance is futile so you might as well just hold your hopelessly addicted head up high, own it like a real man and proclaim it proudly.
::tease::

~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

blowing-raspberries-clipart-1.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Don
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I went slightly bonkers this morning and grabbed three more 07's from the bay. It may be getting close to time for voluntary commitment.

A Blue Kirinite
Case 2016 Mini-Trapper 10207SS Blue Kirinite.jpg
A Smooth Antique Bone
Case 2017 Mini-Trapper 6207SS Smooth Antique Bone.jpg
And a SparXX
Case 2017 Mini-Trapper 6207SS SparXX (White).jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

You are on a roll there jerry.. For a non-CASE guy, you are getting a few!!! ::poke:: John :D

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's the sickness, John. It's gotta be the sickness. ::paranoid::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The Case with the Smooth Antique Bone are sweet looking! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Hunter wrote:The Case with the Smooth Antique Bone are sweet looking! OH
Case calls it Smooth Antique Bone, RR calls it Smooth Tobacco Bone, I call it very desirable. I hope it looks as good in person as it does in the picture.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”