Ode To The 07

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
MadeinUSA

Re: Ode To The 07

Post by MadeinUSA »

My first and only mini trapper (so far) … a recent acquisition

A great addition to my collection of made-in-USA knives with a patriotic and/or Americana theme
46FAAF49-2AF3-4697-867C-A7B8F71F0476.jpeg
4797D42C-BB18-4D6B-A876-02CE8F15ECDF.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

MadeinUSA wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:51 pm My first and only mini trapper (so far)
Well, there's a very good chance that will change. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My latest addition to the 07 stable. I like everything about it except the Buffalo Horn scales. They leave me cold. However, the through & through nail nicks, the Wharncliffe secondary blade and the threaded bolsters, (for me) save it in a big way.
Attachments
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Labeled.JPG
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Mark Closed.JPG
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Pattern Stamp.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 pm My latest addition to the 07 stable. I like everything about it except the Buffalo Horn scales. They leave me cold. However, the through & through nail nicks, the Wharncliffe secondary blade and the threaded bolsters, (for me) save it in a big way.
Jerry, I really like the buffalo horn.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

David, to quote my mother, "To each his own". Rest assured, you're not all on your lonesome on that "issue". It is becoming apparent that I am an island unto it's self.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 pm My latest addition to the 07 stable. I like everything about it except the Buffalo Horn scales. They leave me cold. However, the through & through nail nicks, the Wharncliffe secondary blade and the threaded bolsters, (for me) save it in a big way.
Hey Jerry - I've not been keeping up on all things Case lately, but this is the first I've seen the through nail nicks. Thats an interesting feature ... kind of like it. Whats your impression - imagine its super easy to access the blades ?
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have to agree with you on all counts. Don't get me wrong, It is a beautiful knife. Cattle horn looks great to me, but Water Buffalo horn might as well be black plastic. It lacks character when compared to bone or stag.
Still, that is a good knife, and I imagine that a little pocket time will make it even better!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Reverand wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:25 pm I have to agree with you on all counts. Don't get me wrong, It is a beautiful knife. Cattle horn looks great to me, but Water Buffalo horn might as well be black plastic. It lacks character when compared to bone or stag.
Still, that is a good knife, and I imagine that a little pocket time will make it even better!
To be fair, I have an old Sheffield made knife with a Buffalo Horn handle that is variegated with light & dark colors and is quite stunning; unfortunately, however, the handle on my new Case Mini Trapper is not in the same category, not even close. Truth be told, I have never been a big fan of most Buffalo Horn primarily for the exact same reasons stated by both jerryd & Reverand, i.e., most of it lacks character and, for all intents & purposes, is practically indistinguishable from black composition (plastic) IMO. Nevertheless, when I first saw this BH207W on the Shepherd Hills Cutlery website back in September 2022, I immediately pre-ordered it mainly for the other features that jerryd stated: the threaded bolsters, which I think are super classy; the thru-n-thru nail pulls, which are by far my favorite style of nail nick and; of course, the Wharncliffe secondary blade. I also really like the black enameled shield.

Other than the handle material, everything about this knife screams "classy"...well, except for the satin blade finish, which actually looks more like a stonewashed finish to me. But either way, I think mirror polished blades would not only look much better but would be more appropriate to the "high-class" look of this particular knife. Oh well, as the old saying goes, I can't expect to eat my cake and have it, too :|.

P2050002.JPG
P2050004.JPG
P2050006.JPG
P2050003.JPG

Hate to see Mini-T Monkey so disappointed :(, but for the price I paid for this knife ($125.65), I do have one more gripe about it that I feel needs to be mentioned: the inexplicably horrid finish of the pile side buffalo horn scale. Perhaps it's due to The Monkey's OCD, but this scale looks to me as if it had been dragged across a concrete sidewalk or was shoved up against a belt sander just before being put into the box. Not sure how it happened or why Case QC allowed it out the door looking like this, but this is how it arrived (it's borderline Sawcut with the obvious, highly visible, dull whitish scuffs/scratches left by the jigging tool). On the bright side, at least it's on the pile side so it won't be seen if I decide to display it (although me and The Monkey will always know it's there ::disgust:: )
P2050011.JPG
~Q~
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Just out of curiosity can s35vn be mirror polished, if never seen it hav that finish and always assumed it was due to the powdered metal construction?
buckaroo

Post by buckaroo »

one of my recent dogleg jacks-from '71. Has great action opening and closing, no blade wobble; hasn't seen much pocket time apparently.
IMG_6406.JPG
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That is a beautiful knife, buckaroo! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

buckaroo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:28 am one of my recent dogleg jacks-from '71. Has great action opening and closing, no blade wobble; hasn't seen much pocket time apparently.
Beautiful '71 07...very clean. I'm quite fond of the pre-1980 6207s because they have such a nice solid feel and, like you said, great snap. :)
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beauty Buckaroo, love those kind. Sweet bones. ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Theo

Post by Theo »

Finally jumped in to the 07 game ::tu:: with my first Mini Trapper Pocket Worn Old Red Bone ::groove::
Attachments
EF7231F0-7C28-44F7-BF4E-772E3C698A2E.jpeg
81818FF3-98D5-4F48-9FFC-BFAE43AA0C50.jpeg
478EA92B-0BF1-4191-945B-065045285AAD.jpeg
My new store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/theo

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Theo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:06 am Finally jumped in to the 07 game ::tu:: with my first Mini Trapper Pocket Worn Old Red Bone ::groove::
Glad you decided to make the jump. Looks like you've landed on your feet and are off and running. Sky's the limit so feel free to cut loose and let your 07 freak flag fly! :lol: 8) ::tu::
~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Just sorry you couldn't find a red one. Very knice. ::tu::
Theo

Post by Theo »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:20 am
Theo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:06 am Finally jumped in to the 07 game ::tu:: with my first Mini Trapper Pocket Worn Old Red Bone ::groove::
Glad you decided to make the jump. Looks like you've landed on your feet and are off and running. Sky's the limit so feel free to cut loose and let your 07 freak flag fly! :lol: 8) ::tu::
LOL.... I know I will , I am one of those streaky collectors , and I will be buying 3 or 4 more, but I like to get a couple of earlier 07's, thanks again for pointing me to the post
Theo

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
TPK

Post by TPK »

doglegg wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:36 pm Just sorry you couldn't find a red one. Very knice. ::tu::
Your right as usual Floyd. A nice bright red would have been an outstanding score! ::nod:: :wink: :lol:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

buckaroo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:28 am one of my recent dogleg jacks-from '71. Has great action opening and closing, no blade wobble; hasn't seen much pocket time apparently.
Beautiful addition ya got yourself there! ::nod:: ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by centennialknives »

Yesterday, just ordered this exact knife and the entire Buffalo Horn series from Shepherd Hills. I look forward to them, and will consider your comments and others as I look them over. Still, I was intrigued by them and the stonewash finish on the blades of the series.
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:20 am
Reverand wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:25 pm I have to agree with you on all counts. Don't get me wrong, It is a beautiful knife. Cattle horn looks great to me, but Water Buffalo horn might as well be black plastic. It lacks character when compared to bone or stag.
To be fair, I have an old Sheffield made knife with a Buffalo Horn handle that is variegated with light & dark colors and is quite stunning; unfortunately, however, the handle on my new Case Mini Trapper is not in the same category, not even close. Truth be told, I have never been a big fan of most Buffalo Horn primarily for the exact same reasons stated by both jerryd & Reverand, i.e., most of it lacks character and, for all intents & purposes, is practically indistinguishable from black composition (plastic) IMO. Nevertheless, when I first saw this BH207W on the Shepherd Hills Cutlery website back in September 2022, I immediately pre-ordered it mainly for the other features that jerryd stated: the threaded bolsters, which I think are super classy; the thru-n-thru nail pulls, which are by far my favorite style of nail nick and; of course, the Wharncliffe secondary blade. I also really like the black enameled shield.

Other than the handle material, everything about this knife screams "classy"...well, except for the satin blade finish, which actually looks more like a stonewashed finish to me. But either way, I think mirror polished blades would not only look much better but would be more appropriate to the "high-class" look of this particular knife. Oh well, as the old saying goes, I can't expect to eat my cake and have it, too :|.

P2050002.JPGP2050004.JPGP2050006.JPGP2050003.JPG

Hate to see Mini-T Monkey so disappointed :(, but for the price I paid for this knife ($125.65), I do have one more gripe about it that I feel needs to be mentioned: the inexplicably horrid finish of the pile side buffalo horn scale. Perhaps it's due to The Monkey's OCD, but this scale looks to me as if it had been dragged across a concrete sidewalk or was shoved up against a belt sander just before being put into the box. Not sure how it happened or why Case QC allowed it out the door looking like this, but this is how it arrived (it's borderline Sawcut with the obvious, highly visible, dull whitish scuffs/scratches left by the jigging tool). On the bright side, at least it's on the pile side so it won't be seen if I decide to display it (although me and The Monkey will always know it's there ::disgust:: )
P2050011.JPG
If it were not for the high price of the knife, I would buy another & have it rehandled. Don't exactly know with what but with something better than that sack horn.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:52 pm If it were not for the high price of the knife, I would buy another & have it rehandled. Don't exactly know with what but with something better than that sack horn.
I have considered doing the same with mine but at the moment (and for the foreseeable future), I'm out of the new acquisitions game - which includes spending ANY money on knives whatsoever, even for modifications to my existing inventory. I managed to go the entire month of February without buying a single knife, which is a record for me as I have purchased at least one or two (or three, or four, etc.) knives every month for probably the past ten years or more. :shock: (just for the record, I've also sold and/or given away a lot of those knives in the last ten years, as well)

I see that the BH207W is STILL on backorder at SHC...unbelievable. ::uc:: And I've already seen one sell on eBay for $92.00, a whopping $33.65 less than I paid for mine :x.

Now SHC has another new 207W version (Birdseye Maple) listed on their website that I would consider buying; however, it says "Pre-Order Now for March Delivery" and I've learned my lesson about pre-ordering from them after the ridiculous BH207W fiasco. Fool me once, shame on you ::disgust::, fool me twice, shame on...um...er... The Monkey! ::doh::

https://www.casexx.com/Details/?Product ... 1&Patid=36
Attachments
11011.jpg
11011.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Congrats on beating that beast of a monkey back and not buying for a month. ::tu:: ::ds:: You done good. Victory my friend, victory. Small but substantial steps. Sorry to hear you are disappointed with another recent Case release though. Gee, seems we've been down that path before lately. I still can't get the bad taste of Case out of my mouth since those Single wharn 54 ODG Trappers you and I bought. This one is a bummer too because I was quite fond of some of the buffalo horn I have seen around, especially the polished, not the jigged. But hey, it has super steel and a nice through and through so it looks cool. Just wish dingbat at the factory didn't ruin the pile side for you. Wow. What happened with those? Should have fired that guy on the finish job, or at least taken him off that station and made him do something else. For that price a Case should be much better.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 am Congrats on beating that beast of a monkey back and not buying for a month. ::tu:: ::ds:: You done good. Victory my friend, victory. Small but substantial steps.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ivoryman ::handshake::. Fortunately, Feb is a short month so it was a good one to get under my "abstinence belt" and start forming new habits of mind over matter. Although, to be honest, there were a few close calls in which I came precariously close to falling off the wagon but ended up finishing in second place (at the last second) on some eBay auctions. So, apparently The Monkey was still exerting some influence over my resolve just by getting me to put in a few bids. Now it's a new month and I have renewed my resolve to resist. This month's goal: no buying OR bidding ::huff::
~Q~
Theo

Post by Theo »

IMG_6406.JPG
That is a beautiful knife , I like that alot... ::tu::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”