Case "Executive Gift" Knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case "Executive Gift" Knives

Post by knifeaholic »

Case always offered etching and engraving services on knives, even long before the "collector era". Knives were given as safety awards in industrial plants or mining operations. Knives were also given as gifts, say by one company as a token of appreciation for another company's business. I hesitate to call these "advertising" knives since that implies a cheap giveaway item.

These two barlows are unusual for several reasons:

One has a factory-installed bail (Case only did that on special order).

Both knives are from the same company, just different locations.

It is very rare to see the company logo engraved in a bone handle - more common on composition handle knives. Bone would be more difficult to engrave and of course could only be done on a sawcut bone handle.

Top knife (with bail) is a 10 dot 1970.
Bottom knife is a Case XX USA.
Attachments
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case "Executive Gift" Knives

Post by knifeaholic »

Another rare one, 7 dot 1973 "Greenskeeper"s Knife.

Case only made this pattern on special order. Some will have no shield and will have the company logo on front. Construction is like the Case Muskrat, with two backsprings. Main clip blade and backsprings are CV (carbon) steel, the weeder blade is stainless steel.
Attachments
IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2759.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Another unusual one - 13031 LR three-blade electrician's knife - 3 dot 1977.

Unusual in that Case discontinued this pattern in 1975. Evidently they brought it back on special order for some customers.
Attachments
IMG_9691.JPG
IMG_9693.JPG
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I don't think I've ever seen advertising on a bone handle before. That's pretty slick. I also wonder if on the Barlow, the pins from the bail could have taken the place of the pin on the back.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Steve, I imagine your knife museum could rival the Smithsonian. ::tu::

Those two red bone Barlows are beyond awesome, I love the 13031 (and that pattern in general), and the greenskeeper's knife has to be the most unique 47 (presumably?) I've ever seen. :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great show on those knives, Steve.
Thank you. ::tu::
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That is pretty interesting information Steve. I always wondered what the deal was with a knife I have similar to yours. It's a 1977, 3 dot.
Attachments
20170629_202442.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knifeaholic wrote:Another unusual one - 13031 LR three-blade electrician's knife - 3 dot 1977.

Unusual in that Case discontinued this pattern in 1975. Evidently they brought it back on special order for some customers.
That's cool. I have a beater of that same pattern by Colonial. National Mine Supply was real big here in SW Va coal country. I'm going to look out for that Case, the Colonial I have is in pretty rough shape, especially the hawkbill blade, which has a worn down tip and the edge is about as sharp as the spine.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”