Case 9" F.B.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
kootenay joe

Case 9" F.B.

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to know the approximate age of this 9" Case knife. Was this intended for personal use, like hunting, not military use ? The metal scabbard is likely not original to this knife but it is a perfect fit which is unusual or a non-original sheath.
I'm keen to learn whatever i can about this knife & this sheath.
kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
XX Case XX

Re: Case 9" F.B.

Post by XX Case XX »

The tang stamp would indicate a date from 1940-1965. The scabbard is definitely not Case standard issue, but if it works, who am I to argue.

Case fixed blades of that design, as far as I'm concerned, were intended for hunting/fishing or general use on the farm/ranch for field duties. I don't think that design had any "military" use in mind.

Those are stout knives, very well made, and the one you have looks to be in good shape. Very nice KJ.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks XX. "the one you have looks to be in good shape"
Yes it is and in hand it feels well balanced and 'solid' not at all flimsy.
kj
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I tend to think in blade lengths when I see a length reference. When I saw the title, I first thought about the bailout machetes Case made that were clones of the Collins #18. :mrgreen:

These smaller knives, with blades 4" to 5", fall into the larger end of "bird & trout" knives or the smaller end of "hunters". At the shorter end, say, 2-1/2" to 4", are what I term "true" bird knives. Most game birds, even ducks and pheasants, a 3" to 4" blade is all you need to gut them. 5" and up are what I call the Hunters. The longer blades work better for field dressing deer, hogs, elk, mulies,(IMO) although I can get by with even B&Ts for that game.

This Case is probably a the equivalent of the current Case offering - 316-5. May have even had the same designation back then. I'm not as familiar with Case FBs as I am Kabar and Western. It is the same category as the Kabar 1232 and Western L48A.

Over 1958 - 1960, Western had a short-lived line called the West-Cut K series, i.e., the K1, K2, K3, K5 and 645. The K1 is 9-3/8" OAL, 5" blade, real close to this one.

I have always assumed that the Ks were made on contract by Case or Kabar, maybe Camillus. Stacked leather handles and only a single pommel pin. The single pommel pin is why I think they werre contracted from one of the other companies. Western had not made a single pin FB since before WW2, so unless they busted the rust off of some old pre-WW2 machinery, they wold have been made by someone else. Western was big on collaborating with the cutlers back east, since they were related to most of them. :mrgreen:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks zzy, a little history is always interesting & appreciated. ::tu::
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Looks like a 316-5, very common pattern and always one of Case's most popular fixed blades. Early XX era or slightly earlier. Sheath is not original to the knife.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Steve. Your posts are greatly appreciated.
kj

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”