Collecting Case Knives (the book) and Toothpicks

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
dag

Collecting Case Knives (the book) and Toothpicks

Post by dag »

I've collected the "Tiny" Toothpicks for a few years now, I have about a dozen in a variety of handle materials. I know the toothpicks are't as popular as some of the other patterns (I've even seen the toothpicks listed here among "least favorite" knives), so not trying to ruffle any feathers here.

I just bought the book Collecting Case Knives, 2nd Edition. Looks like an interesting book on the history, materials, stamps, etc., of Case knives, and various patterns. I know the book is mostly older knives, has only a short section on modern knives (my tiny toothpicks not among those discussed unfortunately). But I'm seeing missing patterns as well.

In searching this forum, I see there were several older "toothpicks", including patterns 093 thru 098, these being of different sizes. But among these discussed in various threads here, I think only the 093 toothpicks are listed in this book. Or maybe I'm just not recognizing others as Toothpicks. It appears the 093 toothpick may be the most common when I search large toothpicks.

I'm also confused on the 093 pattern that is discussed in the book. I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe it stated that pattern was discontinued in the mid-1970's. But I have seen some dating the 1980's - the dates based on the tang stamps confirm 1980's. So when was this pattern actually made?

I guess what I am hoping to learn more on is more details and history of these various patterns that the book doesn't list. Is there another source, or can anyone enlighten me? I would love to see a picture of many of these different patterns side-by-side.

Thanks in advance.
David
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Collecting Case Knives (the book) and Toothpicks

Post by gsmith7158 »

Dag if you go to the top of the page and click on Research then click on Case knife patterns by number there is some limited info there about all those patterns. I have one of those 1982 093 but I think that was a limited edition mint set that included a red one and a green one. I'm Pretty Sure Regular production Of THE 093 Stopped IN 75 The big ones Later Were 0098's. My auto correct is going bonkers think I better reboot.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Collecting Case Knives is an outstanding book, and we are fortunate to have it! It is the most comprehensive and detailed resource I know of for what it covers. The information provided therein on Case knives from the XX era through the 1990s is the best available. We owe a great debt of gratitude to Steve Pfeiffer for writing it, and a well-worn copy resides beside my favorite chair in our living room.

However it has its limitations, which is regrettable but at the same time very understandable, given the breadth and depth of history and products of Case's hundred-plus years of operations. This is in no way a criticism of the author or the book. I can't begin to imagine how anyone could gather the kind of detail that is provided in Steve's book, for older pre WW II Case knives. Pre-war records are limited (old catalogs are probably the bulk of what remains) and the oral history for that era is gone with those who knew it.

For Tested era and earlier knives (Case Brothers, W. R. Case & Sons, etc) the best resource I have found is Sargent's American Premium Guide to Knives and Razors, 7th Edition. Doesn't have the detailed descriptive history in prose like Pfeiffer's book, but has extensive pictures and listings of different patterns that were made. Sargent's is no longer in print but you can find used ones occasionally. If you can't find a 7th edition, the 6th Edition is also good. As for the more recent Case offerings like all the various bone colors, numerous handle materials, SFOs, commemoratives, tiny-this-and-that's, I don't know of any resource for those. But if Steve is writing one, the line to buy it forms behind me! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dag

Post by dag »

gsmith7158 wrote: I have one of those 1982 093 but I think that was a limited edition mint set that included a red one and a green one. I'm Pretty Sure Regular production Of THE 093 Stopped IN 75 The big ones Later Were 0098's...
That explains a lot. Thanks for the response.
David
dag

Post by dag »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Collecting Case Knives is an outstanding book...
I agree it is a great book and do not want to take away from it in any way - not my intent in starting this tread. Just hoping to add to what is in the book and learn more about these older toothpicks. Thanks for the response.
David
dag

Post by dag »

Thanks for the responses so far.

Really hoping someone with a few of these different pattern toothpicks could take a picture showing the differences in size and features.
David
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Dag toothpicks were my first love when I first started collecting. All I ever collected then was the 093 pattern. Here's one from the tested era 1920-40. It's 5 inches long closed
Attachments
20160510_112941.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I don't have any tiny ones to share, but these are my two large toothpicks. First one is a 2009 610098 in Walnut bone with the script shield, measures 5 1/2 " closed, and the other one is an 8 dot 1972 "fish knife" 32095, measures 5" closed.
Attachments
1497664695632-1174238808.jpg
14976648122091309936747.jpg
1497664885141617760408.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
dag

Post by dag »

Thanks to Mike & Greg for the pictures. Awesome knives. Just fuels my desire to get one (or several) of the older toothpicks.
Have learned a lot in this thread. Some of the older toothpicks (those other than the 093/095/098 patterns) are still a bit of a mystery, but have learned a lot about those three patterns. I wonder, since the 098 toothpick runs into the "modern" knife age that that might be the reason it was left out of COLLECTING CASE KNIVES?

One final question on the book - on the value guide section. Looking particularly at the 61093 & 32095. Just for reference in shopping around for these - how up-to-date are these values? I've seen many of these MUCH higher (and not just the much older ones).

Thanks again to all who have posted here.
David
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I don't put much stock in published price guides for knives. They represent an opinion or assessment of the author's knowledge at the time they were written. Probably out of date by the time the book was published. They do have some value however in establishing a relative value assessment between different patterns, different handle materials, etc. For example if the guide lists a stag 83 pattern whittler as more valuable than a stag 18 pattern stockman, it probably is still more valuable 10 or 20 years later. During that time the values of both knives probably have changed, but not much relative to one another (the 83 is likely still more valuable than the 18).

The best source of current values is probably eBay comparable sales. Limit your search to completed sales on as near-identical items as you can find (same knife, same age, similar condition). I "watch" a lot of eBay sales on knives of interest to me even if I have no intention of buying, just to keep up with values.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dag

Post by dag »

Mumbleypeg wrote:...They do have some value however in establishing a relative value assessment between different patterns, different handle materials, etc. ... The best source of current values is probably eBay comparable sales. ...
Ken
Thanks Ken.
David
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome, David. Good topic.

Here's the only 93 that I own.

Notice all the differences in the shields in Gregs' fine knife and mine.
Attachments
DSCN7390.JPG
DSCN7393.JPG
DSCN7397.JPG
DSCN7401.JPG
Joe
Robo

Post by Robo »

I too have been hit with the "toothpick" obsession. Casual at first, an offshoot of my fascination with the fish-tail knife I saw in the film noir "Criss Cross", then super-charged by a scene in yet another noir classic "Gangster". Here's a bad screen shot from that and a couple of the tooth-picks I've collected. Happy to share more and discuss--you are not alone!
Attachments
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
IMG_5079-1.JPG
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-3.jpg
dag

Post by dag »

Awesome knives Robo !! And interesting way to get hooked!
David
Robo

Post by Robo »

Thanks! Put some more pics in the photo section if yer interested.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just one. A Christmas present several years ago.
Attachments
Case 1997 Tiny Toothpick 610096 SS - -Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I don't claim to be a Case Knife collector,I'm more like an "accumulate", but I seem to have more Case knives, than any other brand. They were accumulated over the years. Several of them were Christmas gifts, looked at one time, and put away, never to be looked at again. There isn't a "Case Toothpick" in the accumulation. I have just recently started to make a list of my knives, take pictures, categorize them, and get some idea of their worth. This should make it a lot easier for my Son to get rid of them, when I pass on. I don't know if I should try to show, and share them, or just sit back, and enjoy the pictures of other forum member's collections? I guess I'll just wait and decide, when I get my stuff together, and better organised. I don't know how many pictures I'll be allowed to post ether, such as they are? I sure enjoy looking at other members' pictures, so I might just let well enough alone.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

In case you might not have seen this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=50219#p535442

It is a good reference for Case Toothpick patterns.
dag

Post by dag »

RalphAlsip wrote:In case you might not have seen this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=50219#p535442

It is a good reference for Case Toothpick patterns.
Thanks for the tip - that is an interesting thread discussing the different toothpick patterns.
David
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Here's my Toothpicks.
Attachments
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”