Advice please

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Rivers

Advice please

Post by Rivers »

I was rummaging threw and old bag and found an old case knife. Threw a bit of research I have found it to be a 4" toothpick, I have very little knowledge on this subject. But I cannot figure out its age, there is no number on the blade. Any help on this would be great, as well as advice in how or if I should clean it.
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
313 Mike

Re: Advice please

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow, beautiful old Case! Great find in really nice condition ::tu::
One of the experts should be along shortly to give you all the detailed info you are looking for ::tu::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Welcome to AAPK Rivers, great looking knife.

Monte
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Great find. According to the chart for dating Case pocket knives found under the "Research" button at the top of the page, your Toothpick appears to have a tang stamp from

1920-1940 (some say 1919 – 1945)

Case XX tang stamps used 1920 - 1940

You will find that most books date this stamp as being used from 1920 to 1940. I have found that many serious knife collectors disagree with this date range and say that it was actually used from 1919 to 1945. It has been my experience that collectors call knives with these stamps “Tested” or “Circle C” era knives.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ification/

Whether it's legit or not will have to be determined by one of the AAPK Case experts; it looks legit to me, but I'm no expert.

Cool knife.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Attachments
IMG_0148.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Rivers, welcome to AAPK! Your knife looks good to me and like others have said it ranges from 1920-1940 because it is marked Case Tested XX. If the closed length is 4 1/4"' then the pattern number is 61094. The 5" pattern 61093 is more common to find.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Great to find an old knife like that one. If you're not a collector, you may not understand the reason folks are commenting regarding the authenticity is that the old Case knives of that vintage are sometimes counterfeited and sold to the unwary as being authentic. Yours looks good to me.

It appears from the pictures to have some light active (red) rust on the blade. It's important to get it off because once it starts it won't stop unless removed. You can probably remove it by applying a thin film of lightweight oil (such as 3-in-1) on the blade, let it soak for a while and then rub it off with a soft cloth. Put a drop of oil into the joint where the blade pivots in the knife frame and work it in by opening and closing the blade a few times. Wipe any fingerprints and excess oil off the metal parts and drop it into your pocket, or wherever you want to keep it. Your knife will thank you for it!

Thanks for showing it here! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rivers

Post by Rivers »

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Reading more it seems this is referred to as a "tested" blade, am I correct?

I will be using the oil to remove the rust. But my next question would be about the patina. This new find will be what I carry now. Should/can I polish it up to a full shine? If so, how?

Again, thanks for the welcomes and any advice.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If you have any thoughts of possibly selling or trading the knife in the future I'd advise you not attempt to clean it or remove the patina. Amateur efforts at cleaning knives invariably lead to reduced value. Lots of collectors prefer an older knife be left alone rather than having it's appearance altered to make it look shiny and new. Just remove the active rust and then wipe it down with an oily cloth.

A helpful hint for removing the rust: Use a No.2 lead pencil. The pencil lead will not scratch the metal blade but it is hard enough to scrape off the rust. For best results soften the rust by soaking the blade in oil first, then rub the point of the pencil over the rusted area like you're trying to color in that area with pencil lead. The rust will scrape away. It may take a couple of rounds of this depending on the depth of the rust.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Congratulations, Rivers! That looks like a real one to me. The circumstances how you found it seem to add validity to it being correct! I'd love to find one in an old bag! ::tu::
Hang around, you'll enjoy AAPK, ::handshake:: .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Very nice find Rivers! ::tu:: As mentioned above the exact closed length would be necessary to identify the pattern number. There were four patterns made during the tested era that ranged from 3 1/4 to 5 1/2 inches long. As far as cleaning that is a matter of personal preference but if you wish to go farther than the basic oiling and rust removal with a pencil it would be wise to seek out a professional for that. Once again very nice knife and ::welcome:: to AAPK!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Rivers

Post by Rivers »

Just showed my dad's brother the photos and he said yes, it was "dad's". Makes it authentic to me. I'll clean it up and slip it in my pocket. Rivers
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

To bad it was sharpened with what looks like a grinder :(
Rivers

Post by Rivers »

I was worried about that. The blade is sharpe but has very apparent tool marks. I found a second case knife... will be asking for more advice. Thanks to all.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”