CASE HELP . . TESTED FRAME ???

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jmam7516

CASE HELP . . TESTED FRAME ???

Post by jmam7516 »

OK folks here goes me showing my ignorance. I have bought, sold and collected pocket knives for some time now. I have heard the term TESTED FRAME over the years but have just come to the realization that I actually do not know what it means. Can someone give me a "CASE XX FOR DUMMIES" explanation? Thanks in advance, John
John
MrBlister

Re: CASE HELP . . TESTED FRAME ???

Post by MrBlister »

Tested frames were mostly NO longer or shorter but the bolsters were smaller .. (generally)
NOTE the 2nd trapper down on left has a bit smaller bolsters than others in the line as it is TESTED
NOTE: the 8th rat down the pile on right has smaller bolters as it is a TESTED
sometimes as years changed the newer blades were installed in the older frames. .
Hence some called Tested frames ..
And if ya'd REALLY like to git some TX dust in yer chili . .. . Heres a dose
of a PRE 55 XX Rat scales being a touch longer than POST XX RAT 55's ....see last pic
Hope this helps a lil . .. . HET ya fella HET !!!!!!!!
Attachments
boxed knife 018.JPG
test54xxrat 016.JPG
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

Thank you MrBlister, great looking group of knives. I think I understand a bit now, though I see I need to educate myself more on the differences in the same patterns as they transitioned from era to era. I apprrciate you taking the time to chime in and sharing the photos and the links.
John
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

MrB's beautiful Muskrat with the Tested frame also demonstrates a Tested shield as evidenced by the typeface used in forming the word "Case". The primary cue is the shape of the letter "C".

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”