1973 two sharks teeth knife set in shark shaped display

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
shadycreek1

1973 two sharks teeth knife set in shark shaped display

Post by shadycreek1 »

I recently purchased a 57 piece knife collection from a collector during the 70's, some very nice hen & roosters, Smith & wessons, Puma, Gerber, customs and yes, Case...
I cannot find this two piece set anywhere on internet.
info:
case shark tooth set 7 dot 1973 with curly maple 7197LSSP and 7 dot paka wood handle 7197LSSP in a shark shaped wood case. The same model number is stamped on both the curly maple and on the Paka wood knife. I do believe this was made by/ commissioned by Case to make and not an after market made set as the case logo is printed on front. I could not find another in existence, if you know of one, please send me a link.[/b]

I intend on putting this collection on Ebay once I have them all in order.
I believe the best one is a Puma Ad 734, I have found one that sold for $1500 in 2007. The cheapest by far are the Gerber silver eagles and silver knights.

If you have info on these sharks teeth, I appreciate the help. Mike
20161012_151626.jpg
shadycreek1

Re: 1973 two sharks teeth knife set in shark shaped display

Post by shadycreek1 »

Need info on the knives as a set, not the knife individually. thanks again, Mike
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I know nothing about this set, but I suggest you also try Case Collectors Club forum.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Shadycreek, I have never seen a display with those two knives in it. It looks more like a sales display board that a dealer might use rather than a collectors set. First year for those knives was 1972 but as you probably know they weren't released to dealers until 1975. Just a guess on my part but I've never seen any actual collector sets before the 1976 stag sets.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Interesting and very nice. I have never seen anything like it (and I have studied Case knives, catalogs, ads, brochures, etc for over 40 years). My guess is post factory, but someone did a hell of good job on the display and the graphics. Or if it was done at the factory, it was a one-off.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

I myself don't think it is post Case just because of the graphics, logo, etc. I hate to use the word, but maybe a proto-type? I am thinking it was too expensive and labor intensive to put into production. If that not being the case, Maybe for a dealer or an Expo commissioned by Case? In the end, how do you determine the value? Also, The curly maple and Paka wood have the same number stamping, all the Paka's that I have seen have a "P" at the beginning. Once again, thanks for the input that you have, Mike
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mike if you go to a Case dealer you will see similar designs and logos on their display cases although the shark shaped display is the only one I have ever seen.I don't know if the dealer cases are built by Case or whether each dealer contracts locally for his displays but the sharktooth one is very unique. The Sharktooth knives originally were all going to be handled with curly maple but aproblem arose with that stock and they swtched to pakkawood but they used all the blades marked 7197LSS up before they started putting the P on the blades. That's why you see some without the P. Only about 1800 of the curly maple sharktooths were made so they are more valuable. About 2weeks ago I sold a 1972 curly maple for $190 . One year ago I bought a1973 pakkawood without the P for $80. Both had the original box, papers and sheath. I really can't help you with a value on the display board
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

you've helped greatly, I'm 49 and haven't been active in knife collecting, I've focused more on guns. My friend is in his 60's and has collected since he could walk, introduced by his grandfather. He has helped a lot but also never seen the display. I also have 2 additional curlys and paka. This is an extensive set of various brands that has helped open my eyes and have learned from it. Thanks again, Mike
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

shadycreek1 wrote:you've helped greatly, I'm 49 and haven't been active in knife collecting, I've focused more on guns. My friend is in his 60's and has collected since he could walk, introduced by his grandfather. He has helped a lot but also never seen the display. I also have 2 additional curlys and paka. This is an extensive set of various brands that has helped open my eyes and have learned from it. Thanks again, Mike
Mike if your planning on selling some of those pieces make sure you let us know whether you do it directly or on eBay. Lots of people here will be interested.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

I will give heads up when I go to list them. There are some gems in this collection. I intend to sell them all along with some from my collection on Ebay. Thanks, Mike
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

FYI, I have started listing knives on Ebay, I started with the 60s Hen & Roosters set of 10 listed individually. I am not sure how fast I will get them all up, but rest assure, some gorgeous Case knives are coming, I am also putting in my Stag Beast and Stag Coke knife as I can get to it. thanks! Mike
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

Oh, Guess my id would help ::dang:: it's Shadycreekboers and one of the item numbers is : 201695319731 just paste in search bar
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

Okay, got most of the knives listed and all of the case brand posted on ebay. Have a couple hen n rooster and Bokers to list, but their nothing exciting... you can copy and paste this item number to see the stag coke knife and then just view my other listings from there. 201695904676
fyi, I tried to start at a third less than past selling prices and no reserves, if I have to lower prices after auctions ending, then that will be done until they sell. Thanks for any and all help! Mike
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=shadyc ... efine=true

You've got some nice ones up there Mike!
I put a link up to your sale.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

FYI, I have lowered the prices on the Case knives that did not sell in first go round with ebay. about 7 days to end auction. I had great success with first round of sales with about 40 knives sold. Thanks to all again for the info... I have contacted Case and sent pics on the shark tooth display, they are apparently having to dig deep on it.
Mike
shadycreek1

Post by shadycreek1 »

I finally got info back from Case on the shark tooth display, their historian said it was offered to Dealers only although apparently not many opted to buy it.
Moosefins

Post by Moosefins »

Hey, I know it’s been some years on this post but I have found it very helpful....so thank you!

I recently found this Case display and could not find any info on it either. I do have few questions for you, if you can help me out:

My display has what looks like a stag gripped Shark Tooth and not the Curly Maple? Do you know if that is original?

And

If you don’t mind me asking, for how much did yours sell? I bought mine at the Tulsa Gun Show and just wondering where I landed as I can find no pricing history!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
7142FF33-9B8B-4AF7-AB1B-3D749D440318.jpeg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The stag shark tooth is probably not original to the display. If I recall correctly the stags didn't come out till 1979 and the pattern on them would be 5197L. Both the curly maple and the first Pakkawood knives with the pattern number 7197L were dated either 1972 or 1973.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”