Case Barlow's - had no idea ...

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Lansky1

Case Barlow's - had no idea ...

Post by Lansky1 »

... the Barlow pattern in all it's variations has been discontinued. I checked the current Case offerings & not a single Barlow is listed in any color / handle material combination. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I was surprised ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Barlow's - had no idea ...

Post by edge213 »

Case should return to Barlow production.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

edge213 wrote:[Case should return to Barlow production.
agreed - Case's take on the barlow is my favorite in this pattern. Love the later model slender bolster types --->

IMG_237713.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

With my Case Barlow, I couldn't care less...after seeing yours, I understand a little better. That's a nice Barlow ya got, even though I dislike blade etchings.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Lansky1 wrote:
edge213 wrote:[Case should return to Barlow production.
agreed - Case's take on the barlow is my favorite in this pattern. Love the later model slender bolster types --->

IMG_237713.jpg
SWEET! ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got a red jigged bone one back in 06.
Keep Near the Cross.
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

I believe Case chooses to "freeze" production of certain patterns for a period and then rotate them back into production for another set period. Other patterns that come in and out of production are the razor and the cheetah. I'd think that a Barlow should be a regular production pattern, given its history and collector status, but maybe I'm just biased and thus deluding myself.
Reid

Post by Reid »

The vault program is discontinued. The knives that they make now are going to be the line up for the foreseeable future. The reason was to make room for the very popular knives re-designed by legendary knife maker Tony Bose. A good example of this would be the tear drop. The swayback and backpocket are other examples. There are tons of knives no longer made. Some examples are the sharktooth, congress, clasp, toe, 83 whittler, barlow, doc knives, gunboat, large saddlehorn, large and small gunstocks (however they recently released a large gunstock), multiple fixed blades, granddaddy barlow. etc.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I don't collect knives for profit, but ending production of all those patterns should increase their value somewhat. I suppose. More interestingly, the list reveals the patterns that are not selling sufficiently to maintain. Am surprised at Case dropping the Barlow. That just seems to me to be such a basic pattern. Personally the large saddlehorn was a favorite of mine.
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

Reid wrote:The vault program is discontinued. The knives that they make now are going to be the line up for the foreseeable future. The reason was to make room for the very popular knives re-designed by legendary knife maker Tony Bose. A good example of this would be the tear drop. The swayback and backpocket are other examples. There are tons of knives no longer made. Some examples are the sharktooth, congress, clasp, toe, 83 whittler, barlow, doc knives, gunboat, large saddlehorn, large and small gunstocks (however they recently released a large gunstock), multiple fixed blades, granddaddy barlow. etc.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm a life member of the Case Collectors Club and hadn't heard that at all. While I agree that Tony Bose's creations are pretty darned nice I'd think that they'd be doing themselves a disservice if they choose to leave out the Barlow and some of the other not-quite-as-popular-as-the-trapper knife patterns. We'll see.
Reid

Post by Reid »

It is not discussed much on the Case forum. But everyone knows what is going on. It is not the Bose collaboration knives that are taking the production. It is the new patterns such as the tear drop, swayback, back pocket. The number of patterns has been cut by about 50%.

Surviving patterns include trapper, mini trapper, russlock, half whittler, saddlehorn, folding hunter, toothpick, mini copperlock, mini moose, sodbuster, medium stockman, cheetah, peanut, large stockman, canoe, baby butterbean, seahorse...so really there are plenty of patterns to collect.

We (CCC forum members) have asked Case to make the barlow again. So keep your fingers crossed. I asked for more 154cm knives and they came out with the trapper and back pocket in 154cm. So they do listen to us.
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

Reid wrote:It is not discussed much on the Case forum. But everyone knows what is going on. It is not the Bose collaboration knives that are taking the production. It is the new patterns such as the tear drop, swayback, back pocket. The number of patterns has been cut by about 50%.

Surviving patterns include trapper, mini trapper, russlock, half whittler, saddlehorn, folding hunter, toothpick, mini copperlock, mini moose, sodbuster, medium stockman, cheetah, peanut, large stockman, canoe, baby butterbean, seahorse...so really there are plenty of patterns to collect.

We (CCC forum members) have asked Case to make the barlow again. So keep your fingers crossed. I asked for more 154cm knives and they came out with the trapper and back pocket in 154cm. So they do listen to us.
I will. Thank goodness I have enough Case Barlows to last my lifetime, from regular production runs to the Limited Editions. I was glad to have bought three of the Case Barlows in 154CM steel. Great knife, great steel.

Guess I can switch to collecting the Case Trapper in place of the Barlow, since it appears that pattern will not be going anywhere.
Reid

Post by Reid »

The trapper is a safe bet. They make it in about every flavor under the sun so you are sure to find some you like. I have been tempted to get a 154cm trapper.
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

Anything in the wind about bringing back the Barlow?

It's an absolute shame that Case isn't producing this pattern... ::td::
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”