Do YOU have a CASE XX knife in YOUR pocket today?????

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
zp4ja

Re: Do YOU have a CASE XX knife in YOUR pocket today?????

Post by zp4ja »

My apologies if I offended you as that was certainly not my intent. The difference in wear caused me to wonder if it was partially cleaned or apart as the wear did not match as I stated. I only collect CASE brand knives and some newer stuff Dad bought but 80% or more are 1980 and back. Was on hiatus and a bit rusty on looking and feeling old knives like yours. After pondering, your explanation makes perfect sense and I have zero doubt to authenticity. As you know, CASE is likely brand to be cobbled and molested. Good story and not corny to have a treasured heirloom as I also and cherish.
Again, apologies for sounding brash.
Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Zeroman

Post by Zeroman »

No offense taken.

It's good to be skeptical. It's good to ask questions.

I too am amazed when I look at it some of the knives on this board. Just beautiful.

John
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Case XX Era 6347 in my sweatpants (the original owner was a good friend of my great-grandfather, thus it never leaves the house), and 2021 Copperhead in my work pants.

I wish more US makers made a heavy jack knife pattern that wasn't a GEC--seems to be a pattern that has gotten out of date. Even Camillus 23s have crept up in price (even as ugly as they are with the imitation ivory advertising handles), and thus the Copperhead was actually cheaper than buying an older knife.

IMG_20221208_145441.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

A rehashed photo, but just been reading the posts here, Case for some reason seems to be a dividing brand maker in knife collecting circles, there are those that love them, and those that for whatever reasons don't like them, and have no time for them. I only have 5 Case knives, all well made knives. When they get it right, they produce fine work, there maybe have been a period where there QC may have been not up to scratch, i fortunately don't have any from that period, all mine are high quality knives. One of my Case knives is the best quality knife i have, not necessarily my favourite knife, but my best constructed knife. These are my thoughts and opinions only, and not posted to cause any conjecture, just think that Case gets a bad wrap sometimes.
IMG_20221009_170139.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

cudgee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 pm A rehashed photo, but just been reading the posts here, Case for some reason seems to be a dividing brand maker in knife collecting circles, there are those that love them, and those that for whatever reasons don't like them, and have no time for them. I only have 5 Case knives, all well made knives. When they get it right, they produce fine work, there maybe have been a period where there QC may have been not up to scratch, i fortunately don't have any from that period, all mine are high quality knives. One of my Case knives is the best quality knife i have, not necessarily my favourite knife, but my best constructed knife. These are my thoughts and opinions only, and not posted to cause any conjecture, just think that Case gets a bad wrap sometimes.

IMG_20221009_170139.jpg
I agree with your thoughts on Case knives, I have had quite a few wonderful examples over the years, and still do!
I like the two you posted, the sodbuster is a great pattern, and the scales on yours are a nice even shade of red. The amber bone knife above it looks like a good one as well. Looks like a 75 pattern, but I only see one blade? Or is it a two blade jack? Both knives CV steel? Nice looking pair regardless. ::tu::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

313 Mike wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:21 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 pm A rehashed photo, but just been reading the posts here, Case for some reason seems to be a dividing brand maker in knife collecting circles, there are those that love them, and those that for whatever reasons don't like them, and have no time for them. I only have 5 Case knives, all well made knives. When they get it right, they produce fine work, there maybe have been a period where there QC may have been not up to scratch, i fortunately don't have any from that period, all mine are high quality knives. One of my Case knives is the best quality knife i have, not necessarily my favourite knife, but my best constructed knife. These are my thoughts and opinions only, and not posted to cause any conjecture, just think that Case gets a bad wrap sometimes.

IMG_20221009_170139.jpg
I agree with your thoughts on Case knives, I have had quite a few wonderful examples over the years, and still do!
I like the two you posted, the sodbuster is a great pattern, and the scales on yours are a nice even shade of red. The amber bone knife above it looks like a good one as well. Looks like a 75 pattern, but I only see one blade? Or is it a two blade jack? Both knives CV steel? Nice looking pair regardless. ::tu::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: The Amber is a large stockman, and they are both CV. I have a couple of Case knives in there surgical steel and i don't mind them either. Variety is the spice of life. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will post a better photo of the Stockman.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I pulled this one out today... she is a little bit of a "Safe-Queen" :)
Attachments
DSCF9790.JPG
DSCF9792.JPG
DSCF9795.JPG
DSCF9794.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

313 Mike wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:21 pm

IMG_20221009_170139.jpg
Here is a better photo for you. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
IMG_20221210_162045.jpg
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

IMG_20221009_170139.jpg
Nice ones Leon! ::tu::
David
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This Case 2318 PU CS arrived in today’s mail; I HAD it in my pocket until I arrived at the base theatre at Cherry Point MCAS for the annual Christmas Concert. MP’s won’t allow any ‘weapons’ on your person at events now! Guess the Marine Corps has joined the rest of the world (except for Dollywood) in fearing outsiders. OH
Ps pocketknife safely back in my car - everyone sleep well!
Attachments
3FEE4876-057F-4630-96D0-071DE93E5277.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Old Hunter wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:53 pm This Case 2318 PU CS arrived in today’s mail; I HAD it in my pocket until I arrived at the base theatre at Cherry Point MCAS for the annual Christmas Concert. MP’s won’t allow any ‘weapons’ on your person at events now! Guess the Marine Corps has joined the rest of the world (except for Dollywood) in fearing outsiders. OH
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Yes my friend, the world has gone mad. ::handshake::
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

Toted this today

My new seahorse whittler
1210221638.jpg
1210221636.jpg
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Old Hunter wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:53 pm This Case 2318 PU CS arrived in today’s mail; I HAD it in my pocket until I arrived at the base theatre at Cherry Point MCAS for the annual Christmas Concert. MP’s won’t allow any ‘weapons’ on your person at events now! Guess the Marine Corps has joined the rest of the world (except for Dollywood) in fearing outsiders. OH
Thank the Lord you were stopped before you could get that dangerous weapon on base cause mayhem and mass destruction! I almost lost a Benchmade folder ($225 bucks I paid for it) at an Air Force show. If I had passed through the metal detector and it beeped, I would have been forced to drop my "weapon" into a sealed blue 50-gallon barrel with a slit cut in the top. The MP told me once you came through you could not turn around and leave in order to put the "weapon" in your car. :x ::td:: you had to turn it over to the MPs. :x Thankfully I asked him about carrying a knife before I went through the metal detector.

What a STUPID country we have become! Letting 100s of terrorist walk right into the US (see "DHS Erases Report About Illegal Aliens on FBI Terrorism Watch List Crossing U.S.-Mexico Border" https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... co-border/ ). But if you try and enter a county building where I live with a pen-knife you are in BIG trouble! Or maybe if you try and get on a military base with a 2.75" blade on stockman... 20 years in the BRIG!!! :x
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

MadeinUSA wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:39 pm Toted this today

My new seahorse whittler

1210221638.jpg1210221636.jpg
Beautiful!!!!! I love it ::tu::

MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:49 pm
Thank the Lord you were stopped before you could get that dangerous weapon on base cause mayhem and mass destruction! I almost lost a Benchmade folder ($225 bucks I paid for it) at an Air Force show. If I had passed through the metal detector and it beeped, I would have been forced to drop my "weapon" into a sealed blue 50-gallon barrel with a slit cut in the top. The MP told me once you came through you could not turn around and leave in order to put the "weapon" in your car. :x ::td:: you had to turn it over to the MPs. :x Thankfully I asked him about carrying a knife before I went through the metal detector.

What a STUPID country we have become! Letting 100s of terrorist walk right into the US (see "DHS Erases Report About Illegal Aliens on FBI Terrorism Watch List Crossing U.S.-Mexico Border" https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... co-border/ ). But if you try and enter a county building where I live with a pen-knife you are in BIG trouble! Or maybe if you try and get on a military base with a 2.75" blade on stockman... 20 years in the BRIG!!! :x
::nod:: what a stupid country we have become
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

Yellow and Saphire.
Attachments
20221211_202005.jpg
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." Mark Twain
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Several years ago, off the AAPK sales page, I bought a mint 1970's Case 62048 Slim Trapper from 313 Mike for my Case Knife collection. Mike sent me the knife, it is in my unused Case Knife collection; but he also included a couple of surprises in the shipment, one of which was this discolored but very snappy 6332. This knife went in my pocket and has been one of my favorite EDC knives ever since - great action and the perfect size for me. I carry it frequently enough that it stays on my desk with three other regular carries. Thanks Mike, it is still a great gift! OH
Attachments
Case 6332 Medium Stockman 1978.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:50 pm Several years ago, off the AAPK sales page, I bought a mint 1970's Case 62048 Slim Trapper from 313 Mike for my Case Knife collection. Mike sent me the knife, it is in my unused Case Knife collection; but he also included a couple of surprises in the shipment, one of which was this discolored but very snappy 6332. This knife went in my pocket and has been one of my favorite EDC knives ever since - great action and the perfect size for me. I carry it frequently enough that it stays on my desk with three other regular carries. Thanks Mike, it is still a great gift! OH
You are welcome OH, great to see you are still putting it to use! ::handshake::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:50 pm Several years ago, off the AAPK sales page, I bought a mint 1970's Case 62048 Slim Trapper from 313 Mike for my Case Knife collection. Mike sent me the knife, it is in my unused Case Knife collection; but he also included a couple of surprises in the shipment, one of which was this discolored but very snappy 6332. This knife went in my pocket and has been one of my favorite EDC knives ever since - great action and the perfect size for me. I carry it frequently enough that it stays on my desk with three other regular carries. Thanks Mike, it is still a great gift! OH
Very knice Bruce!! Knice to see you around!!

I am carrying a Case knife gifted to me by myfav neighbor may she rest in peace.
Attachments
IMG_0102.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Good to see you as well Scott. Looks like an old Case Senator penknife - very nice gentleman's knife. OH
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This 5318 for the next few days, heading out in a few minutes for a Christmas Party tonight and a couple days with my oldest daughter and her husband for a Christmas visit. OH
Attachments
Case 5318 - Coin - Pillbox.JPG
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

D801D28F-CD2B-4255-8B5B-5DF674632E8C.jpeg
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Gorgeous deep red/crimson color on that soddy, John. Very nice! 8) ::tu::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:17 pm Gorgeous deep red/crimson color on that soddy, John. Very nice! 8) ::tu::
Thanks Q.. ::handshake::
There are lots of AWESOME carrys being posted!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
John :D

PS.. This is the 3rd time I have posted this.. Goes into limbo.. ::facepalm::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jmh58 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:37 pm D801D28F-CD2B-4255-8B5B-5DF674632E8C.jpeg
Could you not find your red one? Wonderful color. Would that be considered a Rudolph knife? I like it.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”