what is the rarest case knife you have??

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
chevycannontexasjack

what is the rarest case knife you have??

Postby chevycannontexasjack » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:23 pm

My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler?? I showed it to my friend that goes to the gun/knife shows and has a lot of knowledge of case, he said that 1920 to 1940 didn't have many open C's on the shields but there were some! lets see some of your rare items!!
Attachments
14214179630621375333479.jpg
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: what is the rarest case knife you have??

Postby jerryd6818 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I don't know diddly about Case knives but I do know a fine knife when I see one and that one right there is a beauty.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

chevycannontexasjack

Postby chevycannontexasjack » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks jerry
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!

jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jmh58 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 pm

Well.. I have a pile of CASE knives but I don't believe any of them are rare.. Do have some with special meanings.. So that makes them rare to me.. ::tu:: John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

All it takes is a little bit of sharp!!

robinetn

Postby robinetn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:44 pm

chevycannontexasjack wrote:My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler?? I showed it to my friend that goes to the gun/knife shows and has a lot of knowledge of case, he said that 1920 to 1940 didn't have many open C's on the shields but there were some! lets see some of your rare items!!

I don't believe that your knife has the typical "open C". If you look at it closely , you will probably see angle points in the curvature of the C . This would denote that this knife is earlier than the "closed C" .
Bob

robinetn

Postby robinetn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:48 pm

robinetn wrote:
chevycannontexasjack wrote:My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler?? I showed it to my friend that goes to the gun/knife shows and has a lot of knowledge of case, he said that 1920 to 1940 didn't have many open C's on the shields but there were some! lets see some of your rare items!!

I don't believe that your knife has the typical "open C". If you look at it closely , you will probably see angle points in the curvature of the C . This would denote that this knife is earlier than the "closed C" .
Bob

PS I finally got my pad to enlarge your pic and I can see that it is one of the latest "tested" shields .

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:42 am

chevycannontexasjack wrote:My 06267, don't know if it's a pen or half whittler??

Really nice Tested 06267 and rare indeed! ::nod:: Although it has the balloon/swell-center shaped frame, from everything I have seen Case referred to the 67 pattern as a pen, not a whittler.
Per your request below are a few rare Cases I have including my 06267 from the XX era. Not sure which is rarest, just know they're all pretty scarce, and coincidentally all swell-center patterns (well, maybe not a coincidence since it's one of my favorites).

Ken
Attachments
image.jpg
Case XX 06267, mark side
image.jpg
Case Bros Little Valley pearl swell center pen, pile side
image.jpg
Case Tested 9383 SAB, mark side
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

zp4ja

Postby zp4ja » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Hey Ken, check this out. Almost the same identical lineup. The Little Valley Swell center goes to the wife. She asked what my most prized knife was and pulled that one out. It takes a bit to characterize a knife as rare for me. Thses would fit into the "slighty to relatively scarce" category for me.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE XX 06267_mark open.jpg
CASE XX 06267_pile open.jpg
CASE BROS LV 82058_ mark side open.jpg
CASE BROS LV 82058_ pile side open.jpg
CASE XX 9383SAB mark side.jpg
CASE XX 9383SAB pile side.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

zp4ja

Postby zp4ja » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:16 pm

These I would consider relatively scarce. I own 6 of 1000 made. Gave one to my son. 5 are shown, 1 knife is in both pics. The top knife in the group pic (same as the solo at the bottom) I would consider rare as it is either a proto or a factory error. The knife has no serial number, never seen another like it.
Attachments
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_ all examples so far_mark side.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_ all examples so far_pile side.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_mark side SN 028 and 682.jpg
1977 5111-half L Blue Scroll Engraved_pile side SN 028 and 682.jpg
CASE 77' 5111-half LSSP Blue Scroll Engraved_no serial number_mark side.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

gino
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gino » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Dang, awesome as usual Jerry! ::drool::
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-

zp4ja

Postby zp4ja » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks Gino my friend. Hope life finds you and yours well!

This one I would definitely consider rare. Personally have only seen 2 others and this one is near mint besides a small pin crack.

Where are you Larry, Bill, Tom and everyone else?
Attachments
CASE TESTED 6001 Rogers Bone Trifold_ mark side closed.jpg
CASE TESTED 6001 Rogers Bone Trifold_ unfolded.jpg
CASE TESTED 6001 Rogers Bone Trifold_ mark side open.jpg

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:17 pm

:lol: Jerry ol' buddy! I thought this thread might flush you out and get you to post some of your beauties. I almost posted a pic of that Case congress whittler I got from you in the Wounded Warrior auction. It's a rare one too. Still can't thank you enough! ::tu:: ::nod:: Here it is, your picture of it too (hope you don't mind).

Ken
Attachments
image.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

jlw257
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jlw257 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Great bunch of Rare Knives so far. Here are some of mine.
Tested XX 6347 J PU LP
Tested XX 5391
Tested XX 6254 Winterbottom
Larry
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for Old Case Greenbone Pocket Knives

zp4ja

Postby zp4ja » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Mumbleypeg wrote::lol: Jerry ol' buddy! I thought this thread might flush you out and get you to post some of your beauties. I almost posted a pic of that Case congress whittler I got from you in the Wounded Warrior auction. It's a rare one too. Still can't thank you enough! ::tu:: ::nod:: Here it is, your picture of it too (hope you don't mind).

Ken

Ken, it is your knife my friend and I don't mind at all. One of my better pictures. I really loved that knife but I love our Warriors more. Sir, it is you I can't thank enough for your more than generous bid. Thanks again my friend. Glad you ended up with it.

Larry, as always, some real fine beauties there!

Regards, Jerry

jlw257
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby jlw257 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks Jerry, here some more Rare Ones
Tested XX 6247 J LP Rough Black
Tested XX 5254 Red Stag
Tested XX 6254 Rogers Bone
Tested XX 6254 Green Bone
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Larry W