CASE XX or TESTED M100 Push Button knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
zp4ja

CASE XX or TESTED M100 Push Button knife

Post by zp4ja »

Hello All,

So I have what I thought was a CASE XX M100 Push Button knife. I answered another post today on a PB from a different maker so I pulled one of my PB knives out.
So I start looking at it with a 10X loupe and notice a CASE XX stamp with some interesting font. I start researching it and I find the same stamp on Gerald Witcher's Book, page 158. This is in the AUTHENTIC section where he shows alot of odd ball and seldom seen stamps, in addition to the more common ones we all know. Very interesting to me that he show this stamp and says "generally found on the M100 pattern which is a one blade pushout", as obviously, this is the knife pattern I am posting.
The knife also has a "PAT APLD. FOR" stamp on the rear tang. Did my best on the attached pics. looks to have been cleaned a bit, not polished to death, but full, nonetheless. I see not pitting around the tang indicative of heavy cleaning. Some scratching on one side of the tang from open and close.

Here are my questions...

1. Is this actually a stamp from the early 20s' like Witcher says? Not doubting his knowledge but the books I have are ambiguous. Interesting if it is since CASE XX is always associated with 1940' to 64'.
2. The handle end closest to the blade is rounded. I have seen that in Sarge's book, which I turn to often besides Steve's, shows what appears to be a squareish end in the same location. I like his book but sometimes the pics of knives are real hard to make out.
3. Could this be a contract knife?

Before any cold stamp comments or stamp input might be made, please look at the pic from Witcher's book. His stamp pic looks cold stamped to me. This knife would be hard to fake and has a pretty low book value to justify the time involved. Rest of the knife reads fine to me, stamps, swedge, push button, etc.

Unless I am wrong, looks to be a TESTED era stamp, seldom seen, that one might mistake for a regular CASE XX 40' to 64' stamp, if not examing or researching closely.

Look forward to opinions and other example if anyone has any. Also find it interesting in that in departure from the CASE norm as far as model numbers go, "M" obviously stands for metal but seems that it was same model number used for the greenbone and cracked ice for example, according to my books.

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
Gerald Witcher's page 158.jpg
CASE XX M100_model stamp.jpg
CASE XX M100_pile side open.jpg
CASE XX M100_mark side open.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CASE XX or TESTED M100 Push Button knife

Post by Miller Bro's »

Jerry,

I have one of these somewhere, not is as nice of condition as yours, but I picked it up due to the fact it was a patented knife, my current interest is in all different kinds of old knives that were patented.

Same stamp as on yours and I believe it had a pot metal handle, hard to tell if yours is nickle silver or pot metal like mine ::shrug::

Pretty sure the end is more square than your example.
AAPK Janitor
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I believe that I've seen this stamp called the "Circus" stamp, authentic in my opinion and from the time frame Witcher gives.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

msteele6 wrote:I believe that I've seen this stamp called the "Circus" stamp, authentic in my opinion and from the time frame Witcher gives.
::tu::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

robinetn wrote:
msteele6 wrote:I believe that I've seen this stamp called the "Circus" stamp, authentic in my opinion and from the time frame Witcher gives.
::tu::
Thanks msteele and Bob!

I thought the "circus stamp" was the TESTED long tail with the real square C. Either way, very interesting on the stamp's timeframe. So this is likely a pre TESTED stamp. Real didn't pay much attention to it as I really did not examine the knife closely before with a loupe. Thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate it.

No concern on the rounding end of the knife. The knife reads fine to me. Great shape for it's age for sure.

Thanks again, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sweet knife, Jerry. ::drool::

-John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

1967redrider wrote:Sweet knife, Jerry. ::drool::

-John
Thanks John my friend!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”