Newest Case Pick-Ups

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Newest Case Pick-Ups

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Very nice Kevin, some great scores on that one.

I picked up this one the other day when CCC dropped it. Only 153 made. Burnt cream bone with barn board jigging. Random carbon Damascus blade. Barehead single blade trapper. Not sure if the handle material or the Damascus blade is what pushed me to buy it, probably both. Plus this knife has NO brass on it. That’s always a plus in my book.
Attachments
8592413A-5F50-4B1A-9879-4694A3B98720.jpeg
B7E1E3D2-1EF1-45AE-97FE-C5020A8CA161.jpeg
E704585E-F81F-4EDF-8C44-0809EBD7C159.jpeg
26C79A13-155C-42F2-B33B-6C088F320CBB.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaddict1965 »

Thanks Mark and nice pick-up with that trapper! Love the single damascus wharncliffe blade.
Kevin
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Your Case Trapper is extra fine. Looks beautiful, Mark.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

knifeaddict1965 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:53 am A few pickups from the Lexington KY knife show. Couldn't find the right deal on any old stuff, but was lucky enough to get some good trades on a few newer things I had been looking for.

I was especially happy to find the 2 stags with the gold & black blade etch to go with the others I have acquired the past few years.
All super nice pick ups, Kevin. You got some real dandies there. ::tu::

As you already know, I'm a big fan of that black & gold etch (second best Case blade etch, IMHO). 8)

The Lockback Wharncliffe Whitler was my first Tony Bose Collaboration knife (antique bone, just like yours) and I like it a lot. I also have three different versions of the Wharncliffe Trapper (I don't have the Ebony model). All are top-notch, high-quality, well-made, semi-custom knives. A bit pricey perhaps, but worth every penny, IMHO (and based on my observations, they are only increasing in value and getting harder to find). Truly "investment quality" knives. Great scores! ::nod::
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:27 pm I picked up this one the other day when CCC dropped it. Only 153 made. Burnt cream bone with barn board jigging. Random carbon Damascus blade. Barehead single blade trapper. Not sure if the handle material or the Damascus blade is what pushed me to buy it, probably both. Plus this knife has NO brass on it. That’s always a plus in my book.
Very nice, Mark. I love the single-blade Wharncliffe 154W Trappers and the Damascus blade with that burnt cream barnboard handle is downright classy...really makes me wish I had joined the CCC just to get one of those beauties. (If/when you ever decide to part with it, I know of a good home where it will be loved and cherished :wink: )
~Q~
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:05 am
knifeaddict1965 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:53 am A few pickups from the Lexington KY knife show. Couldn't find the right deal on any old stuff, but was lucky enough to get some good trades on a few newer things I had been looking for.

I was especially happy to find the 2 stags with the gold & black blade etch to go with the others I have acquired the past few years.
All super nice pick ups, Kevin. You got some real dandies there. ::tu::

As you already know, I'm a big fan of that black & gold etch (second best Case blade etch, IMHO). 8)

The Lockback Wharncliffe Whitler was my first Tony Bose Collaboration knife (antique bone, just like yours) and I like it a lot. I also have three different versions of the Wharncliffe Trapper (I don't have the Ebony model). All are top-notch, high-quality, well-made, semi-custom knives. A bit pricey perhaps, but worth every penny, IMHO (and based on my observations, they are only increasing in value and getting harder to find). Truly "investment quality" knives. Great scores! ::nod::
Thanks Q, I appreciate your comments. These are my first Bose Collaborations in the Wharncliffe Trapper, Lockback Whittler & HT Trapper patterns and I love all three. I agree that they are pricey and would have a hard time paying retail, but I was fortunate enough to get a really good deal on some trades.

Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for that mini trapper version with the black & gold etch, but I can't imagine anyone would be crazy enough to let one of those go :lol:

BTW, you mentioned that was your second favorite Case blade etch... Just out of curiosity, which one is your favorite?
Kevin
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

knifeaddict1965 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:49 pm Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for that mini trapper version with the black & gold etch, but I can't imagine anyone would be crazy enough to let one of those go :lol:
Yeah, I agree it's hard to imagine anyone letting that one go. That would be totally crazy. ::paranoid::
knifeaddict1965 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:49 pm BTW, you mentioned that was your second favorite Case blade etch... Just out of curiosity, which one is your favorite?
I was wondering if anyone would ask. ::hmm::

Normally, I don't pay much mind to embellishments like blade etches, bolster engraving or serial numbers, but the black & gold etch is so unique, intricate and meaningful (along with the dots & X's bolster stamping) and I feel it really complements the stag handles. Your collection is outstanding! ::nod::

That said...my #1, all-time favorite Case blade etch is this XX Branding Iron etch that I've only seen on a 2008 Russlock with Smooth White Bone. I'm not a fan of Russlocks, but I bought this one because I absolutely love the etch (it's the only knife I have ever purchased just for the etch).
Case Branding Iron Etch.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’ve never seen that etch Q but I like it a lot too. I agree about the Russlock, not a favorite. But Case has put some very nice handles on this pattern in the past that make it hard to resist. The Paua abalone they use when on a Russlock looks incredible, better than it looks on other patterns.

You never know I might sell that one. I’ve sold knives from my collection many times.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
DanTX1953

Post by DanTX1953 »

Just picked up this Case Lockhorn in new condition, the box is in excellent shape and it came with the leather sheath.
I believe it was produced in 1980
Attachments
Z   HORN.jpg
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:43 am
Normally, I don't pay much mind to embellishments like blade etches, bolster engraving or serial numbers, but the black & gold etch is so unique, intricate and meaningful (along with the dots & X's bolster stamping) and I feel it really complements the stag handles. Your collection is outstanding! ::nod::

That said...my #1, all-time favorite Case blade etch is this XX Branding Iron etch that I've only seen on a 2008 Russlock with Smooth White Bone. I'm not a fan of Russlocks, but I bought this one because I absolutely love the etch (it's the only knife I have ever purchased just for the etch).
That branding iron etch is really cool and I appreciate your compliments Q... After seeing some of those beautiful GEC, Custom, and Tuna Valley Phoenix Jack knives you have posted, I could only hope to one day have a collection of knives as amazing as those ::not_worthy::.

I don't typically gravitate toward knives with the embellished blades either, but my two favorites are pictured below. The fact that they have stag handles doesn't hurt either. Can't really decide which ones I like best though.

20220826_194852.jpg
20220820_162828.jpg
Kevin
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:54 am I’ve never seen that etch Q but I like it a lot too. I agree about the Russlock, not a favorite. But Case has put some very nice handles on this pattern in the past that make it hard to resist. The Paua abalone they use when on a Russlock looks incredible, better than it looks on other patterns.

You never know I might sell that one. I’ve sold knives from my collection many times.
I agree Mark... I had this Paua Abalone Drop Point Russlock a few years ago, but regrettably let it go :( .

DSCN7473.JPG
DSCN7474.JPG
Kevin
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

knifeaddict1965 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:28 am
QTCut5 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:43 am

That branding iron etch is really cool and I appreciate your compliments Q... After seeing some of those beautiful Custom and Tuna Valley Phoenix Jack knives you have posted, I could only hope to one day have a collection of knives as amazing as those ::not_worthy::.

I don't typically gravitate toward knives with the embellished blades either, but my two favorites are pictured below. The fact that they have stag handles doesn't hurt either. Can't really decide which ones I like best though.

20220826_194852.jpg

20220820_162828.jpg

Gorgeous group, I can only hope to one day have a collection as amazing as those babies. Congrats, what a pile. ::tu:: :mrgreen: ::groove::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks I-Man, I appreciate your kind words... Keep posting those beautiful ivory and vintage bone handled knives you have as they are pretty darn amazing.
Wish I had more vintage knives in my pile, but it seems I usually end up pulling the trigger on the newer stuff. Hopefully I will have more time to narrow my search with retirement right around the corner.
Kevin
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

knifeaddict1965 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:42 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:54 am I’ve never seen that etch Q but I like it a lot too. I agree about the Russlock, not a favorite. But Case has put some very nice handles on this pattern in the past that make it hard to resist. The Paua abalone they use when on a Russlock looks incredible, better than it looks on other patterns.

I agree Mark... I had this Paua Abalone Drop Point Russlock a few years ago, but regrettably let it go :( .

DSCN7473.JPG

DSCN7474.JPG
That’s the one. It is gorgeous. I had one also but sold it.
Love those stag collections, you have some nice ones there.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Kevin. I just want to chime in on how very beautiful the covers of your Russlock are (were).
DanTX1953

Post by DanTX1953 »

DSCN7473.JPG

DSCN7474.JPG
That’s one beautiful knife Kevin
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks everyone... That's a good looking Texas Lockhorn you posted Dan. Always thought those were very cool knives.
Kevin
DanTX1953

Post by DanTX1953 »

mailman just delivered this Case Tribal Lock {I am a sucker for blue handles)
Attachments
Z  Case.jpg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Even though I already have this model, I snagged this one out of the Bay because nobody else was bidding on it for some reason. Perfect, mint condition. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then good deals can still be found on knives like this that fly under the radar. I scored this beauty for a whopping $37.00. This one has Tested Red Jigged Bone which is my favorite modern Case red bone variation (not to be confused with the classic redbone from the early years)
Attachments
P9040009.JPG
P9040008.JPG
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

DSCN7473.JPG

DSCN7474.JPG
Beautiful knife and shield. Wow is that psychedelic.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
DanTX1953

Post by DanTX1953 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:40 pm Even though I already have this model, I snagged this one out of the Bay because nobody else was bidding on it for some reason. Perfect, mint condition. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then good deals can still be found on knives like this that fly under the radar. I scored this beauty for a whopping $37.00. This one has Tested Red Jigged Bone which is my favorite modern Case red bone variation (not to be confused with the classic redbone from the early years)
really good looking knife, love those red bone handles !
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

DanTX1953 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:24 pm mailman just delivered this Case Tribal Lock {I am a sucker for blue handles)
Great looking Tribal Lock Dan!
QTCut5 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:40 pm Even though I already have this model, I snagged this one out of the Bay because nobody else was bidding on it for some reason. Perfect, mint condition. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then good deals can still be found on knives like this that fly under the radar. I scored this beauty for a whopping $37.00. This one has Tested Red Jigged Bone which is my favorite modern Case red bone variation (not to be confused with the classic redbone from the early years)
Great catch on that beautiful wharncliffe mini-T Q! That red bone looks amazing...
Kevin
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Awesome knives on this page, you guys are knocking it out of the park! ::ds::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this stag Case Classic 53083 whittler, were these also made by Queen? It is a very well made knife.
Attachments
IMG_6399.jpeg
IMG_6400.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

John, that looks like a Queen made Case to me. Given the date on the tang, it probably is. What a nice knife that is. The stag on that is extra nice.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”