Case Penknives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Old Hunter

Case Penknives

Post by Old Hunter »

I looked back several months and didn't see a penknife thread, so I figured I'd start one. I found these two today, both NOS minus the boxes/packaging; a 1982 mfg Appaloosa bone serpentine pen (two blade, #A62033) and a 1979 mfg #63033 serpentine pen (three blade Delrin). They are in fine shape and the price was fair - as I didn't own any Case penknives I added them to my collection. I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a couple of penknives - bet some of you have a couple of hundred! ::woot::
Attachments
DSC04747_opt.jpg
DSC04746_opt.jpg
DSC04756_opt.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
DR_MAGOO

Re: Case Penknives

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Nice finds, I own an appaloosa peanut of that same vintage. I'll see if I can find a pic to post.
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

OH I really like that appaloosa bone ::tu::

Here's a 1974 6269 small congress, delrin with nickle pins and liners. It get's quite a bit of pocket time right now during shorts season and a XX 62052 medium congress in red bone. The 62052 was recently given to my brother-in-law for his birthday so he could have something slim and light to carry in his dress pants to work.
Attachments
6269 002.JPG
case boker red bone 001.JPG
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have a couple of Senators but they're not Case. Baldwin and Camillus.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Here's a nice little 1970 penknife :) s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry & Steve, I wasn't even thinking of Eisenhower's when I started the thread, but you guys are right - they belong in the penknife category. Here is the only one I own, a stag handled version. By the way Steve, that is one very nice red-bone you have there!
Attachments
DSC02613_opt.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah Colonel. Eisenhower's and Senators fit right in. Some might think the Peanuts belong here too.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I thought the small half congress was considered a pen knife as well. ::shrug::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cutty -- I don't see why not. It's a pretty generic name.

From the AAPK, Case knives by names.

"Pen:
The name pen is shared by many knives. As a general rule, it describes any double ended knife that measures less than 3 1/2" closed. Some pens include the senator or equal end pen, the sleeveboard pen, and the premium pen. Senator pens are those with a perfectly oval shaped handle. Sleeveboard pens have a handle that tapers to a narrower rear. Premium pen knives are generally classified as pen knives that share the pattern number with a stockman knife. This is of course subject to argument, but most collectors categorize pens in this manner."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Very nice pen knives fellas ::tu:: ::tu::

Tim
Attachments
006 (8).JPG
006 (10).JPG
021 (3).JPG
032 (2).JPG
031 (2).JPG
001 (11).JPG
010 (4).JPG
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What a swell group you have Tim. I especially like the third one down with the bail.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Thanks Jerry, i favor the stag myself ::tu::

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice looking penknives everyone. ::tu:: Here's one more. :) s-k

Rust Never Sleeps
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

Here's my offering.Tested with bail.Not sure of pattern, maybe a 053. Measures 23/4". Slim
Attachments
IMG_0269.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

This thread need reviving. Some many pens made. Keep posting them guys!!!

CASE XX 02230-1/2 Slick Black Long Pull...
Attachments
CASE TESTED 02230_half LP_mark side blades open.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

A very basic penknife; Delrin handled Peanut from 1990.
Attachments
DSC03246.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey OH, please allow me the liberty of politely correcting you. What you got there is a little jack. Hard to keep track of this stuff. I just learned that a pen knife over 3-1/2" is actually considered a double end Jack knife. Like the CASE 50 Pattern "Elephant Toenail" for example is a double end Jack knife. Same deal with the 6275 Moose for example. Always thought they were large pens. Who knew. Found the info in the research section of our great forum. You got a pretty little knife there nonetheless.

Here are a couple more of my pens...

TESTED 22079

1970 10 dot MOP 8233
Attachments
CASE TESTED 22079_mark side.jpg
1970 10 dot 8233_mark open.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey, I got one just like that. CASE XX U.S.A. 1964-69
MVC-043F.JPG
MVC-043F.JPG (43.17 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
MVC-042F.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey TJ, nice knife you have there. I really like this frame for a small carry knife for light work or dress carry. I got about a dozen of them I will try to dig them out and post. One is a 33 frame rehandled in Jade.

Regards, Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

While trying to locate the rest of my 33 frames, I got sidetracked when I saw some other knives that caught my eye. I am sure this happens to us all if you know what I mean.

Here is a couple of real nice knives in my opinion...

Both have "CASE XX" over "STAINLESS" stamps on all blades except for the file blade. Amazing how tiny the stamps are yet they are very clear. Wish the newer model/era stamps were like that.

First is a CASE XX 8271FSS with Dovetail Bolsters and some great pearl. Sure like them bolsters. Not sure how many other CASE frames, if any, used this bolster. Any input or knowledge of other frames with this bolster?

Second is a CASE XX 6271.
Attachments
CASE XX STAINLESS 8271FSS_mark side.jpg
CASE XX STAINLESS 8271FSS_pile side.jpg
CASE XX STAINLESS 6271_mark side.jpg
CASE XX STAINLESS 6271_pile side.jpg
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Pen Pearls are great Sunday carry knives or maybe a little stag.
Attachments
P22F 2002 #810DB 8327SS SMALL STOCKMAN PEARL.JPG
P21F 2005 #6380 5201SS C. PLATTS' SONS SMALL PEN BURNT STAG.JPG
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Nice knives all and I love those old Dovetail bolstered jobs Jerry. You don't see many around. Here's a sub-set of my collection dedicated to the Case 33 and 033. The top row are all from the "Tested Era" as is the Rough Black in the center of the second row down. The Redbone XX below it is one that my Dad carried until he passed away in 1982 and the reason I started collecting the rest of them. Aside from the Case Select to the left of it, all others are from the XX Era except for the two stags in the lower corners. They are 033's from the 80's. I recently found a delrin handled 033 I'd forgotten about, so I cleaned her up a bit and tossed it in my pocket to keep my Case Norfolk company. It seems happy now. :lol:
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Bob! Thanks, really love the dovetail 71 knife!

Real pretty collection of 33 frames Bob! Your Dad's knife is a beauty, kinda looks like a rogers gig, I am sure well pocket worn at the least. All the others are awesome too! Especially like the GoldStone TESTED and the two on either side of it that appear to to be Cracked Ice.

I have about a dozen 33s including a TESTED 8233 LP and a rehandled 80s era 33 in Jade I will have to dig out.

Regards, Jerry
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Picked up a 1998 mfg Mini-Copperhead yesterday, it has blue-green jigged bone handles. Not owning any older Case knives, I am really enjoying the show of classics penknives being put on by Elvis and Jerry - thanks for the pictures! OH
Attachments
2012-11-08_17-08-50_957.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks OH. I am still reeling over Bob's 33s!

Here is a couple of CASE 01 frames. 2-5/8" closed. I threw an old quarter in the pic for scale. Due to the tang size the era/year stamps are extremely small but still very legible and crisp.

CASE TESTED 3201 with white liners.

CASE 1970 10 dot 9201 Imitation Pearl.

Also a pretty CASE XX 9253 with white liners. 3-1/4" closed. This one really threw me fo a loop as far as model number till Bob (Robinetn) straightened me out. Cracked Ice was not listed in XX era in Sarge's book. Anyway, this knife is one of my favorites and in very minty shape for the age and handle material. love the swedges on both blades on the non nick side.

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
CASE TESTED 3201 and 1970 10 dot 9201.jpg
CASE XX 9253_front blades partially extended.jpg
CASE XX 9253_back blades partially extended.jpg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”