A question about Case razors...

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
63rdOVI

A question about Case razors...

Post by 63rdOVI »

I've been collecting Case razors for about three years now and have noticed some definitely different styles for this pattern made by Case.

An example I have from 1971 has flattened & sculptured single-end bolsters, a contoured main blade w/ long file, and jigged brown bone handles. I've seen other versions from the same time period and earlier that are more Barlow-like, with sawn bone handles, single-end bolsters and non-contoured (i.e. flat) blades.

And of course, the most recent versions have bolsters on both ends of the knife.

It's an obvious jack knife, but would a person call all three versions a Barlow, razor Barlow, or just plain razor? Saying "razor" has given non-knife acquaintances the wrong idea, but saying "Barlow" also confuses some acquaintances who are familiar with pocket knives.

Also, does anyone know the reason for the change to double bolsters? Just curious. Thanks for your help!
big monk

Re: A question about Case razors...

Post by big monk »

Just sold a ""1989 Razor""" on e-bay,that had 2 Blade Jack 52005 RAZss, on the box label----Case always added zeros, to an original pattern number,when they change something,as 00 in this one. I really think,it was just for marketing purposes,that all the changes have been made--I have another 1989 ,""Banana Boat Razor"" with the pattern number,521500ss,for sale on e-bay, right now---I'm sure you have others ???---both knives made same year,with different looks----these were the "'Parker"" years,and ol'Jim,really had a thing for "'Razor"" knives----the knives produced around that time,also had some of the prettiest shields,and the fattest,pretty,matching stag,since the early days (IMHO) ____I call em' all Razors,if they have a "'razor"" blade ::disgust:: ______Monk ::tu::

::welcome:: to the site ::ds::
Attachments
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The Case 05 pattern at 3-3/4" closed was always made with no lower bolster, just the main end bolster which was of a "stepped" design. So it was always a "barehead" jack, though it does resemble a barlow knife but larger than the traditional regular balrow. The 05 pattern was made with a spear master blade (6205) and with a razor master blade (6205 RAZ). The 6205 was discontinued during the XX era while the 6205 RAZ was discontinued in 1978.

The 005 pattern with the standard (non stepped) front bolsters and the "cap" or end bolster was introduced in 1989 when Jim Parker owned Case. Case still makes the pattern using that design and tooling.

Just to add:

Case also used to make the standard barlow pattern (009) with a razor master blade - this knife was discontinued in the mid 1970's circa 1975. This would be the 62009 RAZ with sawcut (not jigged) handles and no lower bolster (cap) with the long bolster stamped CASE XX.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

Thanks, Big Monk and Steve, for the comments and information. It appears that I have razors and not razor Barlows...I'll now have to start looking for a Case Barlow with a razor blade to add to my collection!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

63rdOVI wrote:Thanks, Big Monk and Steve, for the comments and information. It appears that I have razors and not razor Barlows...I'll now have to start looking for a Case Barlow with a razor blade to add to my collection!
PM me about the razor barlows.

Steve
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

knifeaholic wrote:
63rdOVI wrote:Thanks, Big Monk and Steve, for the comments and information. It appears that I have razors and not razor Barlows...I'll now have to start looking for a Case Barlow with a razor blade to add to my collection!
PM me about the razor barlows.

Steve
PM sent.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”