Case warranty advice----please

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
BIGHEAD

Re: Case warranty advice----please

Post by BIGHEAD »

Why is it junk?
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I'll take a picture later this weekend and show you.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

BIGHEAD wrote:Why is it junk?
Here is a couple pictures. Am I to picky? Take note of both handle material pins. It was new
when I got it, still new when the handles fell apart.
Attachments
img014.jpg
img014.jpg (3.17 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
img015.jpg
img015.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Stockman send it to me I will give it a good home, :D :D :D
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

BH Would you have it re re handled? They also buffed the etch off the spay blade. If I could find some material that closely resembled the old factory material and get a old shield I might fix it.
Other wise it will be a knife to carry.
GeorgeCAtl

Post by GeorgeCAtl »

Knife Warranty Update

I received my knife back from the Case Repair Center (& Spa :D ) today.
It was repaired at no charge under warranty.
They did a wonderful job and I am very pleased!
013.JPG
012.JPG
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Another satisfied Case customer; and you can't beat the price!
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice George!!
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

I just bought a Case 3347HP USA era at a yard sale for 5 bucks and the celluloid handles were just terrible so I removed what was left of them. The blades are absolutely perfect with only a few small specs. Never sharpened or used. Etch is still on the spey blade.

It sounds like Case would replace the scales under the limited lifetime warranty from what I read in this post. I have a question that maybe someone might know. If I send Case the handle material will they replace it with the material that I send or will they insist that they use their yellow composition handles? I was thinking that the yellow gem Juma scales would look nice on this knife.
Attachments
yellow_juma.jpg
yellow_juma.jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I doubt they’ll put material you supply on the knife. But one way to find out pretty quick is to call or email Case Repair and ask them. https://caseknives.com/pages/contact-us I’ll be surprised if they replace 50+ year old plastic covers under warranty, but maybe they will. ::shrug:: And I certainly don’t want to re-litigate the first several pages of this old thread either. ::facepalm::

BTW if it was mine and I wanted Case to repair it under warranty, I would not have removed the old covers, just as proof that they were bad. No telling what kind of stuff, and stories, they receive.:shock: If you still have what’s left of the original covers I’d send them back along with the knife and explain why you removed them yourself. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Yeah Ken I sure don't want to resurrect the past pages either on whether it is or isn't under warranty. I sent an email to Case and have not heard anything back yet.

I removed the scales because I didn't want any chance of them gassing more and causing any damage to the blades. I may still have them at the bottom of the trash can in my office. I'll make sure to let Case know this is why I removed the scales.

If they don't want to use my supplied material then I may just re-handle it myself. I like the way the yellow gem juma material looks. The other option was a mammoth ivory but that's a little rich for me.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Whatever you decide, be sure to post some pictures of the results please! ::tu::

For future reference, whatever Case used for yellow (3) and white (4) handle covers during the 60s and early 70s, it wasn’t celluloid. So it doesn’t outgas like celluloid. Removing it to prevent damage isn’t necessary. I think case stopped using celluloid, at least for yellow and white handle covers sometime during the XX era. Some of the Case Classics (which were not made by Case) do have celluloid covers though.

But it for sure shrinks! On many of them I’ve seen (and a few that I have) the covers have pulled away from the bolsters and cracked around the pins, but I’ve not seen any signs of damage to the liners or other metal parts like you typically see when celluloid goes off.

The advent of Delrin finally resolved the problems of decomposition and shrinkage (at least so far - I suppose time will tell eventually) but even Delrin develops the distinctive “haze” problems. Maybe the newer stuff like Kirinite or similar will provide a solution. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Boy Ken it sure looked like celluloid to me but it makes sense now that it may have been a different material because the blades are in such good condition.

I I have some donor scales coming my way that I think may be a good fit for this knife. Thanks to our RailSplitter ::tu:: .

I'll certainly post pics as I go. It may be slow going because I've been trying to balance work and pleasure and dag nabit works winning right now.
Doug

Pocket Knife Art

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”