Question About A Case Stockman

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
ea42

Question About A Case Stockman

Post by ea42 »

Greetings folks!

Was wondering if you could help me out on these two stockman knives as I'm not the least bit savvy in the Case knife department. Would you know a production range and model number? There's no model number on the tang. The knives are 3 1/2" long. Full polished blades, shields are pinned.
Thanks in advance amigos!

Eric
Case small stockman cattle.jpg
Case small stockman cattle 2.jpg
Case small stockman cattle 3.jpg
Case small stockman cattle 4.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Question About A Case Stockman

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Those aren’t Case. Look at the “bowed” spine on the spay. Should be straight on a Case. Also don’t think I’ve ever seen that color bone or jigging on a XX era Case. Probably a Kutmaster. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Ken that's what I was thinking, they actually look a heck of a lot like Ulsters from the early fifties.

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Could be Ulsters.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks Ken, I'll have to check some old Ulster catalogs. I seem to recall the old Ulster model 44 looked something like that but I'm not positive. Pretty weird.

Eric
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Just so you know these actually came from the Schrade factory. A fellow I knew who was good friends with the former President was able to purchase knives there that were discontinued or "found in the closet". That's what makes me almost certain that they're Ulster patterns. Definitely not Schrade. At first I thought they might be Case knives that somehow wound up at Schrade for coon-fingering, but now my suspicions that they were made in house seem to be confirmed. I have no idea what the purpose was behind them though, there's only these two.

Eric
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Eric;

Those are very interesting. A number of years ago someone (I believe it was Rich Langston) posted photos of one of those, and I was blown away by it.

I kept the photos in my digital archives (see attached).

To me it was clear that it was an Ulster-made knife with the CASE XX stamp.

My guess at the time was that it was a prototype made by Ulster for Case as a potential contract knife.

Case did outsource two patterns to Ulster - the 0035 jack pattern and the 0045 scout pattern. Large numbers of each of those were produced, but the stockman that you have was never put into production.

If you ever decide to part with either of those, I may be interested.
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_1006.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”