CASE TESTED PEARL WHITTLER

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
olderdogs1

CASE TESTED PEARL WHITTLER

Post by olderdogs1 »

I haven't had this small pearl whittler very long and am having difficulty determining the pattern number so thought I would post it here and hopefully be able to assign it the correct pattern number. It is a little unusual for a tested knife as all three blades are stamped. It measures 2 7/8" closed and appears to me to be on a small stockman frame. The knife seems completely authentic to me, just haven't seen one like it. All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Attachments
482.JPG
496.JPG
507.JPG
514.JPG
516.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CASE TESTED PEARL WHITTLER

Post by btrwtr »

Pretty sure it's an 83042.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Tom that looks like an 83042, and a nice one! I have the same knife in imitation pearl, a 93042. There’s a picture of an 83042 in Sargents 7th Edition. He lists it as being 3 inches but mine is closer to 2-7/8. Here’s the one I have.

Ken

Looks like Wayne was posting the same time I was. I least we both agree, :lol:
Attachments
94CB83FB-9693-4E45-B156-4AEF229A60D5.jpeg
94CB83FB-9693-4E45-B156-4AEF229A60D5.jpeg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LeftyKnifeGuy

Post by LeftyKnifeGuy »

Seems to me the tang stamps are all different. Confusing to me as none of them match the tang stamp chart 100%. Would Case have had tang stamps with that much variation, especially on the same knife. If these are all authentic then that makes at least 4 tang stamps used by Case during this era.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There were several stamps used by Case during the Tested era, generally believed to be from around 1920 (some say 1919) to 1940 (some say 1945). Most reference books show at least several of those. Tang stamp charts are representative, many of them are hand drawn by a graphic artist.

On any given day there may have been several different stamp tools being used (different blades made at different work stations and/or by different operators). Blades and other parts are”bunked” until enough of all the necessary parts required to make the prescribed number of that pattern are available. Then the parts are issued to an operator (or operators) for assembling and finishing into a completed knife.

Also, tooling (stamps) wear out over time, and are replaced. As the tooling wears the marks left by that tooling change somewhat over time. A worn stamp used one day can be replaced by a new stamp the next day. That’s why you should read the knife, not the stamps.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

LeftyKnifeGuy

Post by LeftyKnifeGuy »

Mumbleypeg wrote:There were several stamps used by Case during the Tested era, generally believed to be from around 1920 (some say 1919) to 1940 (some say 1945). Most reference books show at least several of those. Also, tooling (stamps) wear out over time, and are replaced. As the tooling wears the marks left by that tooling change somewhat over time. A worn stamp used one day can be replaced by a new stamp the next day. That’s why you need to read the knife, not the stamps.

Ken
I understand that stamps wear and there would be some variations due to that. The differences I see on this knife are not due to wear. They are from different stamps with different configurations, styles and layout of lettering. From what I'm understanding, you say the tang stamps on this knife are all legitimate.

P.S. I do need to correct myself as I got too focused. The tang chart shows 3 styles of stamps for this era. I got too focused on the one style during my comparison. With those 3 and the 3 on this knife that makes a total of 6 variations of stamps. I have found another tang chart on this site which has another 2-3 additional styles of stamps.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Lefty,hunt up a copy of Gerald Witcher's book on Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery.It has a lot of info on tang stamps and what to look for.
Roger
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks guys, yes I think you guys are correct, 83042. Just never had one, good serviceable little knife.
Thanks, ::tu::

Tom
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice knives, guys.

I have two of those little 42 frame knives, posing as pen knives.
Attachments
DSCN6363.JPG
DSCN6371.JPG
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's an 82042 pen that I have.
Attachments
s-l400 (25) (1).jpg
s-l400 (25) (1).jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knife, Greg.
These are great little knives. I'm afraid I'll lose one if I carry it. ::nod::
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

FRJ wrote:Very nice knife, Greg.
These are great little knives. I'm afraid I'll lose one if I carry it. ::nod::
Thanks Joe! They are very petite. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

To my knowledge the 3-blade (whittler) 042 was discontinued during the Tested era and never re-introduced. In my experience they’re not very common. Probably didn’t sell that well which would explain their being discontinued. ::shrug:: The 042 continued to be made with two-blades until the 1980s. Not sure whether the two-blade version has been re-introduced since then.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”