Newest Case Pick-Ups

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Newest Case Pick-Ups

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Well, no offense to anyone here, but I try to keep my online and real-life completely separate. I always have. I have been online a looooong time in internet years - since the start of personal computer popularity in the 1980s. That was before the public internet and way before the web. I know the internet is never truly anonymous, but I try to keep myself as anonymous as I can. I have had many online names and personas. For knives, it is TwoFlowersLuggage, but for other interests I have used different names. I've actually already shared more personal information at AAPK (age, occupation and general location) than I normally share online. I must be getting soft...

So, you can call me TwoFlowersLuggage, or Two Flowers, or TFL, or "that SOB", or just about anything else that tickles your fancy. Please don't take it as an insult - as they say on the soap operas, it's not you, it's me. If we ever do a knife deal together, then of course you'll find out, but I'll just have to take that chance and hope that once we have become trading partners, you will still respect my desire for anonymity. ::handshake::

As a side note, in the past I have sometimes used online names that implied specific things, just to see if that affected what assumptions others made about me. For example, if I used a name that implied I'm a redneck, would people assume I'm not educated? If I used a name that implied I was a particular race, would people assume I had the stereotypical traits of that race? Just a private joke between me and the rest of humanity. I'm not doing that at AAPK - or am I? ::sneaky::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Hey thanks for the tips men, now that I know a bit more about the game and that some people are keeping spread sheets and nick names and employment and all I will watch my mouth, never know who's listening in, watching, recording, etc., and never would have guessed. I always thought Big Brother was someone or something else, wow was I wrong. We have found the enemy and it's us. Like a Pavlog dog. Allright, good to know, good night and good luck.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Ivoryman wrote:Hey thanks for the tips men, now that I know a bit more about the game and that some people are keeping spread sheets and nick names and employment and all I will watch my mouth, never know who's listening in, watching, recording, etc., and never would have guessed. I always thought Big Brother was someone or something else, wow was I wrong. We have found the enemy and it's us. Like a Pavlog dog. Allright, good to know, good night and good luck.
Is it night time where you are? An effort to remember a members name on the forum by taking notes or whatever is a far reach to Big Brother. When I mail a knife or receive one we swap addresses and some have my phone number too. What was I thinking?
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I hate to interrupt the chatter with something on topic but I had a new Case come in today's mail. I was going for a Mini-Trapper and thought I was going to get a Mini-Trapper right up until the mail carrier delivered it. A vague thought flitted through my mind, "This package is kind of heavy". I opened it and the box label said 6254 SS. I immediately thought, "they've put it in the wrong box". I slid it out of the box, still thinking I was getting a Mini-Trapper. Uh, no. Checking the auction proved I had bought the full size edition of the Star Spangled Banner Trapper. Fortunately digital_freaks has more than ten of the Mini-Trapper version available so I'll have to wait until next month to get the one I actually wanted. Oops! Sure sucks to get old.
Attachments
CASE 2017 Trapper 6254 Star Spangled Banner Natural Bone - Mark Open Labeled.JPG
CASE 2017 Trapper 6254 Star Spangled Banner Natural Bone - Pile Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

SCORE!!! ::ds:: Looks GOOD jerry!!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

But, but, John. I wanted the Mini-Trapper version. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: :oops: :oops: :oops:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I have that same knife Jerryd. I love the way that the stars and stripes are carved in relief. I wouldn't mind having one of the sowbellies. ::hmm::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Jerry, just put it in the dryer on high heat with your favorite shirt. That should bring it down a couple of sizes...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the knife but the Mini was the version I really wanted and the Mini is the one I'm going to get. Next month. I'll have something for the Matched Pair thread. ::tu:: When your chickens get out in the road and get run over, make chicken soup. ::nod::
I do wish they had put something on the pile side though. Maybe engraved something like "Jose can you see?". Probably considered racist in today's world. :x
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

zp4ja wrote:Is it night time where you are? An effort to remember a members name on the forum by taking notes or whatever is a far reach to Big Brother. When I mail a knife or receive one we swap addresses and some have my phone number too. What was I thinking?
At my company, I *am* Big Brother...
conspiracy-quotes-Orwell-1984-poster-Big-Brother-is-watching-you.jpg
I suspect this is one of the differences between being self-employed or retired vs currently being a corporate middle management drone like me. I'm not worried about the NSA, FBI or CIA - I'm worried about someone in my own company or a future employer taking exception with something I say online. And yes, such things do happen all the time.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Just to prove I *can* post on topic, here's what came today - It is a pen marked as 62042, with a 1940-64 tang stamp. This has me a bit confused, because I thought the imitation pearl were 92042? That model number stamp also looks a bit wonky. I didn't pay very much, so it seems pretty unlikely someone would have messed with it?
IMG_20180212_203035.jpg
IMG_20180212_204745.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You're right. That pattern stamp does look "hand stamped". Not a bad job but to my eye, just off enough to not appear die stamped. My guess, YMMD
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Heck Jerry, now that you have broken into collecting the 54 pattern (unintentionally of course) you can add that Veterans version you liked so much! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel, as much as I like rice and beans, they are starting to get real old and the truck won't run without gas.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Old Hunter wrote:Heck Jerry, now that you have broken into collecting the 54 pattern (unintentionally of course) you can add that Veterans version you liked so much! OH
Exactly the reason I jumped to the end of the thread: Posting this. ::tu::

C'mon, Jerry, you know you want that big heavy blue trapper in your hand. :lol: ::handshake::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Canadian collector

Post by Canadian collector »

Picked this up yesterday at a antique store.
20180216_192956.jpg
20180216_193024.jpg
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

Greenbone 47 and a redbone 80
Attachments
5B3374E7-A5F3-4BCF-A7BB-3BA2A3C2A519.jpeg
956F3B6F-4D96-4ADB-8CC6-DAA04A9535A9.jpeg
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

I kinda like this pick up. Thanks for looking!
Attachments
20180217_154658.jpg
20180217_154033.jpg
20180217_153945.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage

Barbie Trapper?? ::tounge::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Yeah I guess so! :) Strawberry Bone maybe? The wife likes it! Salmon?? I dont know but I like the smooth bone! :)
TwoFlowersLuggage

Got another Peanut for my growing goober collection. This one is a very dark blue bone with the Case-USA shield that looks like a Chevy logo. Are these handles what is called "second-cut" jigging? I'm not sure what the previous owner was doing with the pen blade - it looks like it was sharpened with a chunk of concrete.
IMG_20180220_203111.jpg
IMG_20180220_203125.jpg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Believe it or not, I received this custom Copperlock double-blade, double-shield, double-action, auto conversion as a gift from a friend last month. ::woot::
P2250028.JPG
P2250030.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beautiful knife with great stag Q, congrats. Noticed the shield on both sides, I assume one is the auto button. Does the other do anything or just regular shield? Auto open and closed, or just open? Fine knife all around, beautiful too, definite keeper.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ivoryman wrote:Beautiful knife with great stag Q, congrats. Noticed the shield on both sides, I assume one is the auto button. Does the other do anything or just regular shield? Auto open and closed, or just open? Fine knife all around, beautiful too, definite keeper.
Thanks, Ivoryman.
Each shield functions as a release button for the blade on its respective side. Double action means the blades can be opened manually just like a regular pocket knife (using the nail pull) or automatically by depressing the shield button. Closing the blades must be done manually while pressing on the lock bar on the spine edge of the handle (just like a regular lock back).
P2250034.JPG
Also interesting to note: the tang stamps show that the blades came off knives from different years.
P2250042.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That would have been a good pick up if you had to pay for it, but as a gift really special.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”