Does anyone know about this knife

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Desertfox2543

Does anyone know about this knife

Post by Desertfox2543 »

I have a ten dot case xx USA the main blade have numbers 620214 it have realy weird handels it's 2 blade could someone give me value or info on this thanks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Does anyone know about this knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

Your best bet for current values is the sold and closed listings on eBay.

As for the weird part and the handles, we're going to need some decent in focus pictures.

Welcome to AAPK
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

How do u post picks here
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That pattern number is not a number that any Case knife from 1970 would have that I know of. We née a picture.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Well I just thought that if it had ten dots it was 1970 I don't know how to post pics here or I would but if u can tell me about it Here's my email and I'll send u pics jamesdsrtfx@bellsouth.net
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There is a forum named "Tips and Tricks" and in that forum is a sticky thread on how to post pictures to AAPK from a PC. There are also tutorials detailing posting pictures from other devices (cell phones, tablets, Mac's, etc). This is a link to the "Tips and Tricks" forum ---> viewforum.php?f=98
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Well of course I have just apple products and can't post pics if anyone is interested in it email I'll send pics thanks for all the help.
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Jerry I see ur was a marine I was with 24 th inf army in desert storm combat engineer
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Trying a pic
Attachments
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Hey it worked can someone tell me about this
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Desertfox2543 wrote:Jerry I see ur was a marine I was with 24 th inf army in desert storm combat engineer
Why, you're just a pup (I was in during the early to mid '60s). There are lots of doggies on the forum. Even (I think) one or two career soldiers.

Just because you use Apple products doesn't mean you can't post pictures. There is a detailed tutorial by Colonel26 on posting pictures from an I-Phone. ---> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=51046

Shouldn't be too different than doing it from an I-Pad. We'll put out the call for anyone using a Mac to clue us in on that procedure. If we don't get any responses, I'll enlist the help of my daughter.

Er, uh, belay that on the Mac user. Looks like you figured it out. Good job. You can write the tutorial on how it's done. :lol: ::ds::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Yea spent 15 and had to get out on disability due to chemicals exsposure from blowing up bunkers with them in it anyways glad to meet u I got pics posted just have to read lol thanks again
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Are you sure about the pattern number you posted? Looks like your knife may be a 6202 1/2 that has been re-handled with abalone shell handles. Is the knife 3 3/8" long closed? The pivot pin does not look to be factory original. It is a very nice looking knife that looks to have been customized.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Ur right it is 1/2 62021/2 get old can't see that's it though would u know a guess what it's worth thanks
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

And it is 3 3/8 long
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Desertfox it looks like a 6202 1/2 that has been rehandled with abalone.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Desertfox2543,
In your OP you had the pattern number ending in 14. There is a pattern 14 that is identical to the 02 except it has bolsters on both ends. I only know this as I was looking for information on a 14, came from "Collecting Case Knives" compiled by one of AAPK's members, Mr. Steve Pfeiffer, aka knifeholic.
By the way before I forget to say ::welcome:: to AAPK!
I also go back with Jerryd to the "old Corps", spent my summer vacation on Parris Island in 1964. Semper Fi!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Thanks friend and glad to meet u but I took a magnifying glass and it is 1/2 where the blade folded had little wear but definitely it's a 1/2 does anyone know a ballpark value I'm going to put it for sale but just wandering what it's worth thanks
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Valuation on your knife is tricky. Because it's been altered you're not likely to find a comparable knife sold on ebay that can be used to get a reading. If it's a 6202-1/2 pattern, and it's a 1970 knife, it likely had Delrin handles originally. So someone made a nice upgrade by putting abalone on it. However from a pure collector viewpoint many would say since it's not original it's not an improvement that adds value. Others may like it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say to the right buyer it might bring $100. ::shrug:: The trick will be to find that right buyer - otherwise it's probably a $50 knife. (That's not a bid - I'm not a buyer either way.) Others are welcome to disagree. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I'm going to largely agree with Ken, it's a nice upgrade to someone that appreciates 40+ year old cutlery and has an affinity towards abalone. The clip main blade looks very full, the only thing that looks a bit peculiar to me is the peening of the rear pin. I don't see why you couldn't ask $100 and accept an offer between $50-$75 depending on the buyer (and your desire to sell). Hope that helps.

PS - and thank you for your service to this Country!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Desertfox2543 wrote:would u know a guess what it's worth thanks
The question is not how much the knife is worth, but how much the knife is worth to you.

If I offer to give you $50 for it and you accept, then the knife is worth $50 (at least to you and me).

If I turn around and list it on eBay and it sells for $500, then it is worth $500 (at least to whoever bought it).

A knife is only worth the amount someone is willing to pay for it. To get an idea what someone is willing to pay for this particular knife, the best way is to list it for sale (on eBay or other online selling sites and/or on knife forums) with a price (any price you choose) and the option for people to submit a Best Offer. Be prepared to be disappointed, though, because unless your knife is especially rare or a highly desired collector's item (which it does not appear to be...sorry), it's probably worth considerably less to other people than it is to you. On the other hand, it is a very nice knife and possibly may be the very knife a certain collector wants desperately and is willing to pay handsomely to acquire...you just never know.

~Q~

PS -- Welcome to AAPK...now that you know how to post photos, please don't be shy about showing off any other knives you have.
~Q~
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard Desertfox. I was in a tank battalion [5/32] attached to the 24 Inf.Div in the late 60's; then Nam as an Inf. advisor.

Wherever you sell your knife, include sufficient details that you have now learned so that the buyer fully understands what he is getting. Good, clear photos will help you make the sale.
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Hey glad to meet all these great people really like this forum and I think I'll just start collecting and be a active member hear again thanks to all u vets and thank u guys for ur service and thanks to the people who aren't vets but respect and honor what we and they did thanks again
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Welcome to the forum DesertFox!

As others have said, a rehandled 6202-1/2. Pretty knife. The "6" in the pattern number indicates bone or delrin. Sadly, if that was a rehandled bone exampe, I would consider it scarce. The changed from bone to delrin mid 1970'. There may be some post 1970' examples in bone but I have never observed one.

The knife on top in the pics is a 1970' 6202-1/2 as a reference example.

Jerry
Attachments
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Desertfox2543

Post by Desertfox2543 »

Thanks for the pics and help don't know why someone re handel it the knife has never been used or sharpened it looks like the only thing they did was open and shut it, oh well it pretty and it's still nice I guess I'll keep it and start a collection I have a few 2010 to 2012 any ways just add this one thanks for all the help guys I believe this is going to be a fun hobby

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”