Case tested question.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
DMLEATH

Case tested question.

Post by DMLEATH »

Good evening! I bought this on an auction and I was wondering if this is the original handle. The knife is well used. Thanks for your input!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case tested question.

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That looks like a re-handle job to me. Never seen anything like those handles before on a Case fixed blade. I think the knife had a pommel originally, it might have had bone handles without a pommel. JMO Those having SCOUT stamp I think were stag, not sure about those stamped EXPERT but I doubt they were wood. The article on Case fixed blades by Brad Wood (Sargent’s 7th edition) indicates the knives stamped with SCOUT, EXPERT, CARSON, etc were made pre-1934. He doesn’t list any wood handles pre-1934, unless I missed it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool old survivor. 😎👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Knife is definitely a re-handle. Case "Expert" had black plastic handle with no separate pommel. The Case "Scout" and "Carson" were available in stag, cocobolo and leather handles. Case did make wood handled hunting knives before 1934, the "named models" Carson, Cody, Scout, and Boone were all made between 1926 and 1932 at the Kinfolks factory. Brad Wood has come up with a lot of information since that Sargent's book.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

🤔 Isn't someone currently working on an updated Case fixed blade book?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

1967redrider wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:34 pm Isn't someone currently working on an updated Case fixed blade book?
I hope so, as I would love to add that to my Case books. I wonder if Steve knows.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:34 pm 🤔 Isn't someone currently working on an updated Case fixed blade book?
That would be Brad Wood. I read somewhere, probably here or in Knife Magazine that he is working on a book about fixed blade knives. It might have been a post by Gene. But it was a couple years ago that I saw it so………… ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
DMLEATH

Post by DMLEATH »

Thanks everyone for that information! I have a case book but not much on fixed blades.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Brad Wood is pretty much the go to guy for Case fixed blade expertise. He is also a fine feller. ::tu::
Roger

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”