Thinking about Schlieper Korium

Handlewithcare

Thinking about Schlieper Korium

Post by Handlewithcare »

Reading more about Korium, it seems the company closed in 1956. At that time they were making low priced knives for Japan, which didn't involve Schlieper. Schlieper Korium can be no later than 1955.

We know Schlieper introduced their brand into the United States in 1953. Is there any evidence of any Schlieper folding knives produced before 1953 in Europe (not novelties)? Are there any photos, notes, documents available on this subject?

If there isn't, we might entertain the thought that Korium was Schlieper's initial product launch into the folding knife market. It may have been that contracting with Korium is what led Schlieper to decide to enter the folding knife market and eventually the US market.

That would make Korium late 1940s to early 1950s and hugely important to the history of Schlieper. The characteristic long pull of Schlieper Korium knives (most have this) also suggests that time frame.

Thoughts?
Spradlinst

Re: Thinking about Schlieper Korium

Post by Spradlinst »

I recently acquired this knife just because one it looked old but you could tell it had one of those really good steel blades that will hold edge for a while then I started trying to see where it came from any history or date or info I sure would appreciate it it had a pic on blade but is almost wore off u really have look close an only other mark is a
Number 4 on blade by hilt which is hardly eligible an a mark or kmperfection on hilt
Attachments
B5D90545-45EF-49DE-A224-CC094B2B1FDC.jpeg
image.jpg
Handlewithcare

Post by Handlewithcare »

It’s probably a Korium. The knives I am referring to however are slip joints, or folding knives. They are much more uncommon than than a fixed blade would be.
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Picked up this Korium stockman not long ago. Looks to be unused. Has Carl Schlieper straight line on back.
Attachments
100_0367.JPG
100_0368.JPG
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.

Return to “German Eye”