SMKW Red Bone Eye Brands: German?

Froe

SMKW Red Bone Eye Brands: German?

Post by Froe »

On the Smoky Mountain Knife Works website I see red bone Eye Brands in stainless for $34.99 and 39.99. Are these Solingen knives or are they made in Asia? The catalog description does say ‘Made in Germany’ but without seeing it stamped on the blade in the pics I’m a little dubious.
However the large stockman is tempting me.
Froe
cody6268

Re: SMKW Red Bone Eye Brands: German?

Post by cody6268 »

Given Germany is a little lenient on their country of origin markings, I'd be really suspicious. Minor finishing and even final packaging allow it to be marked as such. SMKW also owns the Eye Brand trademark, and they have taken tons of old names and slapped it on junk. The nick shape and position looks a little too RR for comfort to me.

I don't buy German-made knives unless the knife is marked Solingen as well.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Cody has it nailed in this old Eye Brand collector’s opinion. The first thing that would raise a flag to me in considering the red bone knives is the jigging on the handles. Then the absence of “Solingen” on the stamp or blade etching leaves little doubt as to the origin. “You get what you pay for” someone once said. If your interest is in good quality German cutlery, keep your eye on Solingen..........no pun intended. :)

Joe D.
Froe

Post by Froe »

Thanks guys. Kind of what I thought. But I was really hoping to be wrong.
I’ve been wanting a large stockman to carry and ran across the SMKW knives thinking that if it was the real deal I could sharpen and edc without guilt. I can’t bring myself to sharpen up old Solingen gems just to scratch an itch. So I instead just ordered a yellow Case 6375cv. I just hope I that I don’t decide to ‘save it’ for the collection once it arrives.
Thanks again for your input.
Froe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Froe wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:49 am Thanks guys. Kind of what I thought. But I was really hoping to be wrong.
I’ve been wanting a large stockman to carry and ran across the SMKW knives thinking that if it was the real deal I could sharpen and edc without guilt. I can’t bring myself to sharpen up old Solingen gems just to scratch an itch. So I instead just ordered a yellow Case 6375cv. I just hope I that I don’t decide to ‘save it’ for the collection once it arrives.
Thanks again for your input.
Froe
I have a large Case stockman, mine is exceptional, hope you get a really good one, and just use it. ::nod::
keithw

Post by keithw »

I haven't heard that SMKW has purchased the Eye Brand name, but I guess it makes sense.
The Eyes that I have handled over the past few years from the Olbertz factory have slipped considerably in quality. ::barf::

I looked at the red bones on the SMKW website and both the congress and large stockman display China as the country of origin.
And, if you click the 'Specs' link, it shows it again.

I may not like what SMKW does with old cutlery names, but I have found them to be upfront about it.
Attachments
smkw.JPG
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson

Return to “German Eye”