Same Song, Second Verse !!!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Same Song, Second Verse !!!!

Post by EyeBJoe »

Well lads, it happened again last night for the second time in just a few months. In checking some of my older Eye Brand and Schlieper knives I discovered yet another yellow handled stockman that had outgassed and severely damaged the knife. In another recent post referencing another older large stockman, I mentioned that previously in my collection the yellow handled knives seemed to be very stable and did not demonstrate the volatility of other celluloid knives from Eye Brand. I now have had 2 ugly examples challenging that thought. This post is just a "Heads-Up" for those that collect Eye Brand and Schlieper cutlery. Recommend we all watch the yellow handles more closely now for signs of breakdown. Hope you are spared from discoveries like this one.

Joe D.
Attachments
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Same Song, Second Verse !!!!

Post by Paladin »

Joe,
Sorry that happened to your knife.
I can't tell from the photo but is it what I think of as a newer Eye, not a 3 Eye knife? I think I saw a pattern number on the back tang but I can't be sure.
I will check mine out but I haven't had a problem yet with the yellow handled knives.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Ray, you are correct as to the pattern i.d. stamp. I think this was a mid 1980's example. This is frustrating as I don't know yet what I'm going to use to isolate the yellow handled knives in the safe.

Joe D.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow that's really sad. You just never know when those things are going to do that. Maybe you can get them re-handled. :(

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Strangely enough...I was just about to google celluloid breakdown and when to get rid of it, on the handles. I remember a month or so ago, someone posting a nearly 100 year old Case, with beautiful celluloid handles. Then...you see this. I've recently started to play around with trying to give old knives a second chance and bought a few knifes for repair. I've seen the spectrum of celluloid "mush" falling off the liners; to, some cheap Imperial knives, that the celluloid looks fine on. I'm assuming there are different formulations of celluloid? Y'all have suggestions on storage? Makes me think that every celluloid should be stored separately, in a well "aired" environment.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

EyeBJoe wrote:Ray, you are correct as to the pattern i.d. stamp. I think this was a mid 1980's example. This is frustrating as I don't know yet what I'm going to use to isolate the yellow handled knives in the safe.

Joe D.
Put 'em in individual sock/pouches.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

My cell knives do not go into the safe. They are in cigar boxes, with all blades opened, and the lid cocked. No sunshine and very low humidity. Everything else DOES go into the safe.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Well, it's supposed to rain here all day so I guess I needed a good Saturday project.

Joe D.
Attachments
Yellow Handle Eyes.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I store my cells with blades fully open and away from other knives. Last thing I want is one to grenade and take out a few others.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Today I bought a very nice Bulldog Stockman with stag handles. The seller explained that the previous owner had replaced the original celluloid with the nice looking stag. I'm very glad he did. I do think replacement is the way to go if a celluloid handle gives even the slightest indication it might be losing its cookies.

Return to “European-made knives”