99 Blade Play

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Metalhead

99 Blade Play

Post by Metalhead »

Are newer 99's known for having some blade play? One is about 14 years old and has been used a good bit so a little play is not surprising. The new one though? It is very minor, but it is there.
Attachments
IMG_2123.JPG
JB
Rotten

Re: 99 Blade Play

Post by Rotten »

I don't have an answer to your question instead I'd like to ask for a full review on the new model.
It would be very interesting to see good pics of your two side by side along with your thoughts to get a better idea of the build quality of the newer ones.
Although I've only ever owned one Schlieper and it is was long ago lost they do have a sentimental attraction, but without a better idea of the quality I just can't bring myself to drop the cash for one when I can get a GEC variant for the same price or less.
Trace
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Rotten, the plain yellow handled sodbuster (99) I think only costs about $35-40 new, and I highly recommend it. The backspring is very tight "almost" functioning like a lockback (but it did fold up on me one time while splitting a deer's rib cage (user error)). I love the steel, but there are those who say the steel sucks compared to the old ones. I have an Eye Brand stockman from the 70's - early 80's, but it is surgical steel so I can't really make a comparison. I'm sure they know what they are talking about which made me wonder about quality issues with current production knives. The new lock back (99L), well, I just don't know because I haven't used it. It has been sitting in the box for a year. I wanted one just because I love the other one so much, I thought "what could be better than an Eye Brand locking sodbuster," and I had the wants. They are much more expensive than the plain 99 so you gotta really really want one to pull the trigger on it. The slight blade wobble is probably psychologically exaggerated because of how much it cost.
JB
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Metalhead wrote:Rotten, the plain yellow handled sodbuster (99) I think only costs about $35-40 new, and I highly recommend it. The backspring is very tight "almost" functioning like a lockback (but it did fold up on me one time while splitting a deer's rib cage (user error)). I love the steel, but there are those who say the steel sucks compared to the old ones. I have an Eye Brand stockman from the 70's - early 80's, but it is surgical steel so I can't really make a comparison. I'm sure they know what they are talking about which made me wonder about quality issues with current production knives. The new lock back (99L), well, I just don't know because I haven't used it. It has been sitting in the box for a year. I wanted one just because I love the other one so much, I thought "what could be better than an Eye Brand locking sodbuster," and I had the wants. They are much more expensive than the plain 99 so you gotta really really want one to pull the trigger on it. The slight blade wobble is probably psychologically exaggerated because of how much it cost.
Cheapest 99jr plain yellow no shield I've found is running $49+shipping IIRC and the cheapest 99 lockback is $103 with shipping. With no real reviews I'm just hesitant to drop that much sight unseen when I can pick up GEC soddys for a little more. I really want a couple of Schliepers (at least) but since the new ones are relatively easy to come by I think I'll wait until I can handle one first. I do have one older large soddy Schlieper that I am going to rebuild with new liners and handles since the blade itself is in such great shape.

I've emailed the importer and asked this question with no response so I'll ask you here. Is the blade grind on the new Schliepers hollowground, true flat ground , or convex?
Trace
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

It is flat ground and gets convex near the edge. My photographic skills are sub-par, but I am trying to show that the glare on the blade is all or nothing (flat) until the edge. And a close up of the shield just to get you motivated.
Attachments
IMG_2140.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG
JB
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Thanks Metalhead. Really appreciate it.
Trace
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Rotten wrote:Thanks Metalhead. Really appreciate it.
I don't know if this pic if helps any more with your question about the blade grind, but again I'm trying to use the glare to show the difference between the 99 as compared to the hollow ground Buck 110. Apologies again for the brutal photography.
Attachments
IMG_2143.JPG
JB

Return to “European-made knives”