Is my childhood memory right?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Rotten

Is my childhood memory right?

Post by Rotten »

When I was about 10 years old my brother gave me my first real knife as a Christmas present. I was able to hang onto it for a few years but sadly it's long ago lost now.

After getting more interested recently in my very small knife collection it got me wondering if I could find one like my brother gave me.

After a lot of looking around I found one but I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me. That's why I'm hoping for some help.

Here's what I remember. First off it would have been around 1976 when I got it. It was definitely a yellow handled sodbuster with an eye on the tang and solingen on the opposite side. Funny side note I thought Solingen was a brand name for decades. Anyway I'm positive in my mind that there was no blade etching or Schlieper stamped over the eye and definitely no banner blade etching.

Did the Schlieper sodbusters from that era come as I've described?

I've actually located one like I've described but I'd like to be sure before I buy.

Thanks for reading my first post. I'll get around to an introduction when I get more time.
Trace
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is my childhood memory right?

Post by btrwtr »

I believe your memory is correct. Welcome to AAPK!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

I hope not to confuse this in any way but in my Eye Brand collection the 99Y or 99YL (lock) knives plus other styles of the Eye Brand sodbuster from the 70's all had some form of Schlieper blade etching. Just a thought.

Joe D.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

EyeBJoe wrote:I hope not to confuse this in any way but in my Eye Brand collection the 99Y or 99YL (lock) knives plus other styles of the Eye Brand sodbuster from the 70's all had some form of Schlieper blade etching. Just a thought.

Joe D.
There is a good possibility that he picked it up already used. Were the etchings on these era Eye sodbusters deep or shallow?
Trace
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

The etchings were shallow, certainly not approaching engraved.

Joe D.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Finally got to look at the knife today.
It was very obvious that the blade had been sanded and the owner would not come down even after he agreed that it had been sanded.
The search continues.
Thanks for the help.
Trace

Return to “European-made knives”