Japanese Eye Brands

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Japanese Eye Brands

Post by Paladin »

Guys,
I have a batch of 6 Eye Brands that were made in Japan in about the 1960s. Many collectors of 'German' Eyes are not aware that Schlieper actually had some knives made in Japan and I think it must have been sort of an experiment. I'm guessing the experiment must not have worked out real well, think $$$, as it didn't last too long.
I think of German Eye Brand knives as being great knives and these are not great knives. They are decent knives and every collection of Eye Brands should have one or two or six in it.
Size is 4 inches for the bone handled trapper and about the same for the two single blade jacks.
The two faux-pearl jacks are 2¾ and the bone handled pen is 3 inches.
Price for the batch is $60 and I pay the postage. Take any 4 for $10 each and I will still pay the postage.
At any rate, here is a rare opportunity to own one or a half-dozen of these rare pieces of Eye Brand history. :lol: ::facepalm::

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_8610.JPG
1-IMG_8611.JPG
1-IMG_8612.JPG
1-IMG_8613.JPG
1-IMG_8614.JPG
1-IMG_8615.JPG
1-IMG_8616.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
kootenay joe

Re: Japanese Eye Brands

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, those are interesting knives. I have quite a few of these Eye XL knives and not all are of the same quality. There might have been more than one manufacturer.
The Eye in this logo reminds me more of Taylor's Eye Witness. I had thought that this brand was from some business person combining the names of the 2 famous British knife manufacturers and getting knives made in Japan.
I have had 2 Schlieper knives made in Japan. They were marked with the Eye Brand logo (or with the name Schlieper ?) & "Japan" and were of a higher quality than the Eye XL branded knives.
kj
alabama

Post by alabama »

I have 2 1980s??- jap. daggers made by tak futasomething that are well made copies of an A.G.RUSSELL sting--marked carl schlieper on back-ranger boot on front-no country of orgin anywhere...he was first Japanese member of American knifemakers guild...
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

alabama wrote:I have 2 1980s??- jap. daggers made by tak futasomething that are well made copies of an A.G.RUSSELL sting--marked carl schlieper on back-ranger boot on front-no country of orgin anywhere...he was first Japanese member of American knifemakers guild...
Post some photos of those. We'd love to get a look at 'em.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
alabama

Post by alabama »

paladin-soon as I get the 9 yr. old neighbor girl to show me how-I will do that-I'm 60
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"I'm 60"
That is a poor excuse. Most of us here are older than 60 and felt intimidated at the start.
Be brave man and just do it. It turns out to be very easy regardless of your age.
Use a digital camera.
take out memory card and put it into computer slot.
click "up load pictures"
make yer AAPK post, then click "Attachments" at bottom of page, then click "Files" and your pictures will pop up.
click on pic you want and then "Open".
then submit your post
then you have done it, posted a picture, no IQ needed.
Try it.
kj

Return to “European-made knives”