Quick question...

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
prairiedog

Quick question...

Post by prairiedog »

Not really a topic...but I'm looking at a black bone 4 1/4" pen knife that looks to have the 2 line fan brand etch on the blade...straight line stamp...and it has the solingen shield. Would this be considered a transition knife?
Sorry about the blurry photo...but I'm almost certain that's the fan brand etch and straight line stamp. I definitely could be wrong...but shouldn't that knife have an older shield?
Thanks for any feedback. ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_0292.PNG
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Quick question...

Post by Paladin »

Sorry but I can't tell a thing from the photo. The etch looks to be a 2 Eye etch, or a 2 Fan etch, whichever the case might be. The logo shield came along in the early 1970s. If the other components, such as the straight line stamp, date it as older, I would go with the newer date and assume they used some old parts. These guys didn't believe in wasting anything so likely used some parts left over from an earlier day.
Post a better photo if you can.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Ray ::handshake:: thanks for the quick response. It's an active eBay listing and that's one of the photos they provided. I'm trying to figure out how to post the link...unfortunately I'm not very tech savvy. :D

I should say for clarity that I have no doubts about the seller or knife...just curious if any other collectors out there have seen this configuration.
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Here's a link to the listing...http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-Eye-Blac ... SwT5xZQpOx

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Thanks Mike. ::tu::
Perry

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Sometimes we talk about poorly written listings here on the forum and that is a classic example. I took a look at some of his other listings and they are written like this one. He just furnishes one photo and no narrative to speak of.
If there is a lightly etched "STAINLESS" just below that etch, it is not as old.
By the way, I'd call that knife a half stockman rather than a pen.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

I agree...the description is lacking and the photos are poor.
It's a shame because I would like to get a better look at that blade.
Perry

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

prairiedog wrote:I agree...the description is lacking and the photos are poor.
It's a shame because I would like to get a better look at that blade.
Perry:

Contact him and ask him to provide another photograph that's clear. Tell him you're interested but need a better picture. There's still 2 days left so he has time.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

A closer look...I can make out the fans and carl schlieper on the etch...and the straight line stamp...but any other details are sketchy at best.

Mike, not really interested in buying the knife as I am curious to its configuration. I believe Rays assessment is right in regards to possibly using older parts. I'm pretty certain the knife was made in the early 70's using left over blades from previous production.
Attachments
IMG_0293.PNG
Perry

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never seen an Eye Brand (Schlieper) knife that has been 're-worked' so if you are concerned that this knife has been altered, it almost certainly has not been.
If you like the knife, go for it. The lousy picture and lack of description will keep most other potential bidders away so you might win for a low price. If when you get the knife it has 'issues' send it back & request a refund. PP will support you so seller will have no choice but to refund you.
I have scored numerous good knives for little money with this sort of listing.
kj

OOPS, i just checked the listing. It's not an auction but a "B.I.N." and his price is too high. Email seller and offer him $60 if you are happy paying this much. He might take it.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Gents, this knife is a pattern No. 30 in the older inventories of Knife Importers in Austin, TX. There was a smaller version, No. 26. My opinion is the subject knife is not cobbled together. I will do some research within my Eye Brand collection as to the question of the type of shield on the knife. I'm currently fishing my arms off in Northwest Ontario and will return soon.

Joe D.
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Thanks for the advice kootenay...and good luck reeling those fish in Joe. Appreciate the feedback!

Perry
Perry

EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

This morning I checked the large wooden cigar box that I have kept some of my older Eye Brand knives in for many years. I found 2 mint knives in their original box, similar to the subject, with the "straight line" Carl Schlieper stamping, the "two eye" etch on the master blades vs. the Fan Brand logo, but with a plain shield. I then found the smaller version (No. 26) with the straight line stamping and the Solingen shield as with the subject knife. From all my catalog information available I believe both the model 26 and model 30 were in the line of cutlery from the 1950's through the late 80's and very early 90's. Following the catalogs, it appears the straight line stamping ceased sometime in the mid to late 1960's and the Solingen shield then began to be included thereafter. From the previous text in this thread I now concur that the subject knife could be a form of "transition" whereby the straight line Carl Schlieper stamped blade was used as the newer shields were being introduced, to then be followed eventually by the "arched" C. Schlieper blade stamping. One additional qualifier. I submitted above that I did not think the subject knife was cobbled together. My interpretation of "cobbled" is a knife that someone gathers a random part or parts together to assemble into a finished knife. I do believe the subject to be a factory Fan Brand and a decent collectible. Value..................In the eye of the beholder.

Joe D.
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

::tu:: Thanks Joe...thats the conclusion I had come to...just wanted some more knowledgeable folks like yourself to coincide my theory.
Appreciate everyone's feedback...it's always appreciated!
Happy 4th of July!

Perry
Perry

prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

One more thing Joe...how much for the large wooden cigar box??? ::hmm::

Heck, can't blame me for trying. :D ::nod::

Perry
Perry

EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

We'll Mr. Perry, here's the story of the large wooden cigar box. In the early days of my real estate career the n Dallas I was blessed to have a good friend who was in the same professional organization and who I considered a mentor. At the time, he was an officer of the First National Bank of Dallas and would invite me at on occasion to have lunch with him in the officer's dining room at the bank. It was high cotton for this old West Texas fella'. At the front door of the dining room was a white table cloth table with a very large Anthony & Cleopatra cigar box full of fine cigars. It was a beautiful mahogany box. About the second time at lunch with my friend I mentioned to him that if that cigar box were to ever be discarded or somehow become available, I would gladly buy it to use for some of my pocket knife collection. A few years later when the economy completely cratered in Texas and most of the Southwest U.S., The First National Bank along with 3 other of the largest banks in Dallas failed and were taken over by the Resolution Trust Corporation, a.k.a. the federal government. My friend lost his job along with hundreds of other bank employees. A few weeks later he walked into my office at work with that cigar box under his arm and said with a big grin, "I believe you were interested in this old box". I was stunned and could not find enough words of thanks. He went on to better things as a real estate professional, but he and that cigar box are ingrained in my memory forever. And, of course, I couldn't part with it.

Joe D.
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Fascinating read Joe...enjoyed this background story. Most definitely a keeper! ::nod::
Perry

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Joe,
Just to satisfy my curiosity, where in West Texas do you come from?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Ray, I hail from Lubbock and completed my education from first grade through Texas Tech there.

Joe D.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

EyeBJoe wrote:Ray, I hail from Lubbock and completed my education from first grade through Texas Tech there.

Joe D.
Hey, by golly! I spent some time there over the years. Grad school, if I can count one semester and worked there after the 1970 tornado.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA

Return to “European-made knives”