Old Schlieper Cracked Ice Stockman

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Ohwilliehe

Old Schlieper Cracked Ice Stockman

Post by Ohwilliehe »

I was wondering if anyone had any info on this little jewel? I picked it up at the Tulsa gun show 2 weeks ago. It's tight as a drum and has still has great snap to each blade. I know it's much older than any of my other German eyes with the straight line tang stamp. Other than the canoe pattern I've never seen any other Schlieper's with the cracked ice handles. Maybe Palladin can help me out once again here?
Attachments
IMG_5604.JPG
IMG_5605.JPG
IMG_5680.JPG
IMG_5684.JPG
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Old Schlieper Cracked Ice Stockman

Post by Paladin »

Willie,
::welcome:: to the forum and I'll do my best for you.
The straight line stamp is considered to be the most desireable and the oldest of the Schlieper stamps. With the Eye Logo on the pile side tang of the clip blade it is some of the earliest. I would estimate that the knife came from the 1950s or the 1960s. Cracked ice handles are not terribly common but I wouldn't quite call them rare either.
All in all, it is a nice example of the early work by a fine cutler. Like so many of those Eyes, it went to work as opposed to going into the safe. :D ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Ohwilliehe, that is a nice find and certainly one of the older Schlieper Eye Brand stockman patterns. One caution and suggestion. The old cracked ice celluloid used on Eye Brand cutlery is very susceptible to off-gassing and corroding the blades. I have experienced this on several older Eye Brands as I grew my collection over the years, resulting in truly ruining some nice old cutlery. The cracked ice material seemed to be the most aggressive in off-gassing among the celluloid handled knives. There is evidence of this on the top edge of the pen blade of your knife and the crack in the handle material at one of the pins is telltale. Suggest you keep that one separated from your other knives in a well ventilated place and not roll it up in a knife roll. Just my thoughts. Hope you can preserve it. It's a great old knife.

Joe D.
Ohwilliehe

Post by Ohwilliehe »

Thank you guys! I figured it was much older than the ones I had. Boy it is still a solid Knife, it's fine construction shows. Amazing snap and when I oiled it up it didn't seep out a bit. The thing is tight as a drum. I had never heard of out-gassing before but after reading up on it, that's some crazy stuff. Thanks for all your help! By the way I only gave $20 for the knife, a great buy for any German Eye if you ask me.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Willie,
The handles are only going to get worse, as Joe says. If you have someone who will put new handles on it, it might be a good idea. Also, keep it away from your other knives. It will eventually ruin the metal within itself and fall into pieces.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have this gasser out to our good friend Orvet to change out the covers before it goes rogue.
Big Eye001.jpg
Ohwilliehe

Post by Ohwilliehe »

Wow that's so nuts. Thanks Ray I believe I'll look around see if I can find someone I'd like to do it. Thought about trying it myself but I don't want to mess up such a great knife. So let me ask you guys this. Joe mentioned the cracked ice were bad to out-gas. So I guess then I should worry about this canoe pattern I have also?
Attachments
IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5724.JPG
IMG_5721.JPG
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Yep, but it looks ok for now. I'd just keep an eye on it and store it away from your other knives. I think a constant temperature environment is best.

Happy Easter to you, Will.
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Ohwilliehe

Post by Ohwilliehe »

Ok will do. Thanks again Ray and a very happy Easter to you and yours!

Return to “European-made knives”