Chief Etch

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Mason

Chief Etch

Post by Mason »

Here is a large clasp model (5-3/8 handle) with a neat etch in color of an Indian Chief on the blade. It also has genuine stag handles which seems not so commonly found on Schlieper knives. I suspect it is from the early 1960s but do not have any paperwork to back it up. Anyone know when this model was made?
Attachments
Schlieper Chief etch (1800x1219).jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Chief Etch

Post by Paladin »

I'm at the library on a borrowed machine but best I can recall those date to the late 1970s or early 1980s. There may be an earlier post from HiPower about those and his memory is usually right on.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Mason

Post by Mason »

Thanks for your input and hopefully EyeBJoe will chime in. The style of the "Chief" etch just seemed like a 1960s era motif.
Here is the same knife along side a "standard" model.
Attachments
Schlieper clasp pair (1800x1575).jpg
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

My recollection is that the Chief single blade folding hunter was a limited edition pattern introduced in the very late 1970's or early 1980's as Ray indicated. It was fairly well received by collectors and was only offered in the line of knives for a limited time. The pattern number assigned to the knife was "G1DS". For an Eye Brand or Schlieper collector it is always a nice addition. Very nice stag on yours, Mason.

Joe D.
Mason

Post by Mason »

EyeBJoe wrote:My recollection is that the Chief single blade folding hunter was a limited edition pattern introduced in the very late 1970's or early 1980's as Ray indicated. It was fairly well received by collectors and was only offered in the line of knives for a limited time. The pattern number assigned to the knife was "G1DS". For an Eye Brand or Schlieper collector it is always a nice addition. Very nice stag on yours, Mason.

Joe D.
Thanks Joe for confirming what Ray had stated, and for the pattern number. Schlieper sure produced some big hefty knives.
wlf

Post by wlf »

That is a cool etch buddy.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Mason

Post by Mason »

wlf wrote:That is a cool etch buddy.
Thanks wlf. We see that many German cutlers seemed to etch their blades with neat figures or designs, and often in color as this one.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Interesting
Mason wrote:
Thanks wlf. We see that many German cutlers seemed to etch their blades with neat figures or designs, and often in color as this one.
Interesting comment and created a question in my mind. I do not know the answer but when did the color etch come on the knife scene?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Mason

Post by Mason »

Paladin wrote:Interesting
Mason wrote:
Interesting comment and created a question in my mind. I do not know the answer but when did the color etch come on the knife scene?

Ray
I guess technically, gold leaf would have been the first coloration used on knife blades dating back centuries, but the blade coloration type used on this Schlieper Chief model is most likely a post WWII creation??? This might make an interesting thread topic.

Return to “European-made knives”