A Bit of Advice Needed

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Bit of Advice Needed

Post by EyeBJoe »

I need a bit of advice from my friends here at AAPK. Below I have submitted pictures of an unusual Eye Brand model "B" stockman that was part of a group of knives that I bought from Mark Cruse in 1989 or so. It's an old timer with the "one Eye" etching and "straight line Carl Schlieper" stamping. As you will note, the mottled celluloid is very unusual, and it was, as noted on the back of the master blade, a "prototype" knife submitted for consideration of adding this handle material to the line of knives. You will also obviously no doubt note the infamous off-gassing results on the blades that I was shocked to find several years ago. It doesn't appear that there was much, if any, shrinkage along with the gassing effect. My question(s) to the group are 1) would you attempt to have the light damage cleaned professionally, and 2) does anyone know someone who is a true professional at such cleaning. I also include a picture of another example of the knife with gray mottled handles with the same red ink on the back of the master blade that has shown no signs of deterioration. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Joe D.
Attachments
IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0745.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0754.JPG
prairiedog

Re: A Bit of Advice Needed

Post by prairiedog »

Mr. Dobbs
Wow..never knew this knife even existed. Such a shame when celluloid reacts badly...especially when it's a rare knife. Personally, I've never had a knife professionally cleaned or worked on...although many members have been very satisfied with the work they've had done by other AAPK members....so I'm sure you've came to the right place for suggestions.
Fortunately, you're knife isn't that damaged ...but as everyone knows some celluloid can be unpredictable at best. I've always heard that once it starts gassing and begins eating at the liners that it's irreversible and over time will eventually destroy the knife...if that's happening you would have the option of trying to find an acrylic that best matches the original handles...but then you're losing most of the background story with this particular prototype knife. Not a lot of good options to choose from.
Hopefully, someone more experienced with these issues will have some suitable suggestions...but if it were me...for the time being I think I'd let it ride and just keep it separate from the rest of my collection.

Perry
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Bit of Advice Needed

Post by EyeBJoe »

Thanks, Perry for your thoughts. Yes, I have had these two knives, along with a few other celluloid handled knives, removed from a knife roll for years. Joining the AAPK and some of the discussions has motivated me to address some things I have been ignoring for some time. Hope I can get a suggestion or two as to someone who could possibly clean the one knife without further damaging the blades.

Joe D.

Return to “European-made knives”