East Dallas Special

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
prairiedog

East Dallas Special

Post by prairiedog »

It's a 5" toothpick, plain round shield, no pattern #, beautiful bone handles, 1 of 300...with an "East Dallas Special" etching that I've never seen before...hoping someone more knowledgeable could shed some light concerning this knife and its origin???

PerryWayne
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
WNY

Re: East Dallas Special

Post by WNY »

I'm not familiar with the knife (sorry), but the spider sure seems to like it. :)
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Per Time magazine: "In Texas, an "East Dallas Special" is a thin, sharp knife wielded by Negro desperadoes." This one is a Carl Schlieper Eye Brand.

Dennis
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Perry, you knife is an example of one, out of a pair, of the only Texas Toothpicks to be produced by Schlieper of which I am aware. Mark Cruse of Knife Importers, Inc. in Austin, TX commissioned a limited edition set of toothpicks for the 1980 Texas Knife Collectors show in Arlington, TX. One was bone handled, as in your example, and the other had stag handles. These knives had blade etchings specific to the limited edition set together with a TKCA embossed round shield. Following the knife show within the next one or two years another set with the same bone and stag handles was introduced into the line of knives with different blade etchings. Your knife represents one of those knives. Nice collectible piece.
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

...sounds like a "keeper" to me! ::groove:: Thanks Joe..and thank-you Dennis for sharing the information you found.
WNY...good eye on the spider...didnt notice it till after I had taken the pic...was wondering if anyone else would spot it. :D
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!

Return to “European-made knives”