Eye Brand Office Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
keithw

Eye Brand Office Knife

Post by keithw »

I thought I would share my latest treasure.
I've been keeping an "eye" out for a nice office knife, and just received this one. ::ds::
Other than a little blade rub, its in great shape.
Attachments
IMG_NEW.jpg
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
justold52

Re: Eye Brand Office Knife

Post by justold52 »

WOW gr8 one to have.

In fact if you find one more I will take the one you do not want.

If it is as good as this one.

Ken
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Am I mistaken or is that a sleeve board pattern?
This looks like everything I like in a pocket knife except the celluloid.
Were they also made in other handle materials? And when was the pattern in production?
Actually I can't seem to find much on German Eye traditional spear point type equal end penknives.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

It is a sleeveboard. There were a variety of handle colors and it ain't celluloid. I'm thinking that most dated from the 1960s or 1970s but it would just depend on the tang stamp.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Thanks Paladin. What about this one, celluloid or not? It looks like the same sleeveboard pattern too. ( ::pray:: )
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Same frame and not cel.
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Paladin wrote:Same frame and not cel.

::ds::
Thanks Pal. You just made my day. ::handshake::
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Keith, I would like to Thank You for posting the picture of the Eye Brand Office knife and asking the questions about it. Paladin has answered the questions perfectly, right on target. As just a bit of additional info. the Office Knife was listed as a model 240Y in some of the older catalogs. Your post and Ray's replies stirred me to go out into my safe and retrieve a knife roll that had some of the other color variations of the model 240 that were in my collection. They are posted below, including Aqua, Red, Black and Dark Green.

Now for the Thank You. When I opened the knife roll, the first thing that jumped out at me was a nice old model EY 4 3/4" Stockman in yellow composition handles that had off-gassed in a terrible state. This was signigicant to me from serveral perspectives besides losing a great old knife.
Several of us have experienced the off-gassing effects of celluloid handled Eye Brands, particularly the cracked ice versions of various models. I have numerous Eye Brands in the yellow composition handles and have never before seen a completely off-gassed example. I have seen some minor shrinkage but not off-gassing. The only good news to this was that none of the other nearby knives were affected. I'm going to have to rethink how the yellow handled knives are now stored, probably out of the knife rolls and into large cigar boxes or humidors. Hope no one else has experienced this in the yellow handle Eye Brand and Carl Schlieper knives.

Thanks again,

Joe D.
Model 240 Assortment
Model 240 Assortment
Eye Brand EY Off-Gassing
Eye Brand EY Off-Gassing
EY Off-Gassing 2.jpg
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

EyeBJoe, does your stockman that outgassed have celluloid handles or do the non-celluloid composition (acrylic?) handles also outgas?
I also lost a candystripe big Boker stockman to celluloid outgassing. By the time I discovered it the knife was all seized up with rust.
I'm not aware that any other plastic than celluloid also outgasses.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Edgewise wrote:EyeBJoe, does your stockman that outgassed have celluloid handles or do the non-celluloid composition (acrylic?) handles also outgas?
I also lost a candystripe big Boker stockman to celluloid outgassing. By the time I discovered it the knife was all seized up with rust.
I'm not aware that any other plastic than celluloid also outgasses.
There are some really good articles here on AAPK and you may need to search them out in order to educate yourself.
Like Joe, I have never encountered one of the yellow handled Schlieper knives outgassing. I have owned quite a few of them over the years. Not sure about the age of Joe's knife but there might be a clue there.
Isn't it fun doing all this, learning all this! :D :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

You're right, it's fun ::tu:: . I spent almost the whole day on out-gassing and it seems that it's only celluloid that has the out-gassing problem. So it's best to identify a knife's handle composition before acquiring it, which is what I'm trying to do, and the best way is to ask someone like Paladin. :mrgreen:
And good luck if there are differing views on your knife scales or no views at all, because celluloid is sneaky and deceitful like Delilah and Herodias. ::disgust::
Actually Orvet has a trick for identifying celluloid in doubtful cases by rubbing the handle with 4000 grit sandpaper. Celluloid will give off a chemical smell.
keithw

Post by keithw »

Joe,
I'm so glad you caught the damage before it became too extensive!

The only knives I've ever had gassing problems with have been Cracked Ice (Eye Brand, Buck Creek) and Christmas Tree (Buck Creek) celluloid.
I've pretty much given up on buying celluloid-handled knives.
Even though I haven't had but 3 gas on me, it's the constant worry.

I have a Robt. Klaas pen knife with something like cracked ice scales on it, that I'm currently worried about. It has a little darkening at the top of the blade. It's a cool knife, Queen Elizabeth's Coronation -1953 etch on the blade, and I would hate to lose it. I'm afraid that I am going to have to find someone to re-handle it soon.

Thanks,
Keith
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson

Return to “European-made knives”